baumer

Skyscraper (2018)

Grade it  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Just typical middle of the road fare.

I'm personally growing tired of the Rock doing just middle of the road "what you see is what you get" type of movies when he could be doing more with his movies.

I'm also tired that he keeps promoting these movies with an awareness that they're absurd, yet the movies themselves have no sense of awareness.

C

Edited by Jay Beezy

So disappointed in this film.  It looked like a slam dunk and yet they even sucked all the entertainment value out of it.  Cookie cutter bad guys, silly unexplained plot points and bad guys that kill for reasons that remain unexplained.  I realize there's a lot of money at stake here but they just seemed to kill everyone at every single turn.  None of it felt right and none of it felt like they put enough effort into making the script entertaining or even somewhat believable.

You know you have problems when the supposed best action sequence in the film makes you groan.  When Rock starts to free climb a 150 story crane, I groaned and wanted to leave.  Then when he hangs off the crane, does a chin up to get back on the crane and then jumps about 30 feet into an open window with shards of glass everywhere, I lost what little interest in the film I had.  When McClane does something similar in Die Hard with the fire hose, you feel how desperate he is.  He even knows how stupid it is and comments on it.  And he doesn't make it at first.  He struggles and has to cut the fire hose before he plummets to his death.  But not in this one.  Here, he basically makes the jump, does another chin up and gets into the building.

This also suffers from bad guys you don't care about and double crosses from friends that make no sense.  

Skyscraper is a lazy, uninspired and mostly horrible film.  I enjoyed Neve Campbell and that's about it.

5/10

• Like 4

I didn't like how this movie basically had no comedy and the 2nd half was just non-stop action which was already spoiled by the trailers.

The Soundtrack was decent. but probably worst movie of the year for me.

D

Edited by RealLyre
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, YLF said:

Terrible movie. I didnt see the theatrical cut and saw this at a screening when the movie was longer. I wont bother seeing what they ended up with.

3/10

...I don't think you should rate a film that you didn't see the finished version of.

On 7/12/2018 at 7:34 AM, baumer said:

Discuss

I predicted two things about this movie. First, that turn the phone off and on to reboot it would come to play in the climax. And that the bad guy would have a bomb jacket with one of The Rock's children in the end. (I guessed the boy who thoughtfully switched his inhaler for a knife like in the Last Action Hero). Predictable or not, this film was entertaining. I was successfully lured into the premise, Never thought about the ethnicity of the villains, and never felt assured that The Rock was able to do the stunts his character was put through. I was on the edge of my seat. I did predict that hollo vista would be used in the end, but expected it reprogramed to create a fantasy setting to play in, (with an active recording to further incriminate the surviving evil mastermind. In a sense this film disappointed my expectations, but was still a rollercoaster of fun. I needed that

Is it bad to say that Neve Campbell had more to do than The Rock in this film? Very dull, and quite obvious storylines. The skyscraper itself is amazing but the movie is just a dull mess, with poor action, bad acting, and a thin storyline. 

Grade: D