filmlover

Downton Abbey | Sep 20 2019 | Focus Features | 16th Most Profitable Movie of 2019

8 hours ago, JB33 said:

Looks like this is coming for the weekend crown with $30M+! Impressive. You wonder if it'll be front loaded due to the fan rush or if this is genuinely primed for a strong run. 

My gut says:

• Strong first weekend due to lots of interest.
  • Better than average weekdays
  • Weak 2nd weekend
  • Very respectable finish with a sequel announcement forthcoming.
  • Like 2

On 9/21/2019 at 6:49 AM, Captain Craig said:

My gut says:

• Strong first weekend due to lots of interest.
  • Better than average weekdays
  • Weak 2nd weekend
  • Very respectable finish with a sequel announcement forthcoming.

You probably nailed it here. This movie goes hand in hand with strong weekdays due to the target audience and a weak 2nd weekend would make sense due to the fan rush on opening weekend, which there clearly was.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Be honest I would be interested to see this show go into the 1930 and even the 1940s really... 

They would really need to age up the cast if they did that. Was already starting to feel like a foX-Men film in that regard.

45 minutes ago, Orestes said:

They would really need to age up the cast if they did that. Was already starting to feel like a foX-Men film in that regard.

I think new rebellious teenagers  (the grown up kids) would be quite popular casts based on Sybil and Rose in the past 

54 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

I think new rebellious teenagers  (the grown up kids) would be quite popular casts based on Sybil and Rose in the past 

Teenagers George and Marigold fall for each other and think the grown-ups only object because she's a "ward" without a title...

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Lordmandeep said:

Be honest I would be interested to see this show go into the 1930 and even the 1940s really... 

Which is what "Upstairs, Downstairs " did.

Started in 1906 and went until 1930.

ANd they did shift the older charecters into more supporting roles as the series went on.

Multi Generational Historical Dramas are pretty common, heaven knows British TV has done enough of them.

Edited by dudalb

https://deadline.com/2020/04/downton-abbey-movie-profit-2019-1202900490/

THE BOTTOM LINE

A modest budget at $20M before a $55M global P&A generated a near $200M worldwide gross. Participations, estimated at $15M, go largely to Neame, Fellowes and a shared pool for the cast. The end result was $88M in net profit after $217M in revenues (across global theatrical rentals, digital and physical home entertainment, and worldwide TV) against $129M in costs. Fellowes has already announced he’s writing a sequel.

• Astonished 1