filmlover

Downton Abbey | Sep 20 2019 | Focus Features | 16th Most Profitable Movie of 2019

It’s official, the Downton Abbey movie is a go. Focus Features has set production with Carnival Films to begin this summer for a return to all things Crawley. The original principal cast, including Maggie Smith, Michelle Dockery, Hugh Bonneville and more, are set to reprise their upstairs/downstairs roles with Focus and Universal Pictures International distributing.

Creator Julian Fellowes has written the film’s screenplay and will produce alongside Gareth Neame and Liz Trubridge. Brian Percival (The Book Thief), who directed the series’ pilot, will helm the film. Nigel Marchant will also return to executive produce.

The game-changing Downton Abbey followed the lives of the Crawley family and the servants who worked for them for six seasons on the UK’s ITV and PBS’ Masterpiecein the U.S., garnering a massive worldwide following and helping to kick-off the so-called new golden age of television while making period drama chic again — we also learned terms like “entail” and, famously, mused “what is a weekend?” The series won three Golden Globe Awards, 15 Primetime Emmys (out of 69 nominations in total) and a special BAFTA. Downton is the most nominated non-U.S. television show in the history of the Emmys.

Story details are being kept under wraps for now. The drama had its fair share of sad season conclusions from the outbreak of World War I to Matthew’s death by car crash. But turns of events as the post-Edwardian clan rang in 1926 in the 2015 series finale kept things cheerful with Edith marrying — and outranking her entire family; Mary expecting her second child; Anna and Bates welcoming their first; Tom and Henry christening their fancy new car dealership; Robert accepting Cora’s role outside the house; Isobel and Lord Merton in wedded bliss; and more blossoming romance for the downstairs crew: Mrs Patmore & Mr Mason, Daisy & Andy, Baxter & Molesely… Also notable and emotional was the resolution of Thomas’ arc from footman-you-love-to-hate, to tortured soul, and finally a place of honor on the Grantham estate — which even a somewhat humbled Carson couldn’t argue.

Not every recurring character we’ve seen over the years will feature in the film, although Highclere Castle will return as the family’s hub.

Gareth Neame, Carnival’s Executive Chairman and the film’s producer said, “When the television series drew to a close it was our dream to bring the millions of global fans a movie and now, after getting many stars aligned, we are shortly to go into production. Julian’s script charms, thrills and entertains and in Brian Percival’s hands we aim to deliver everything that one would hope for as Downton comes to the big screen.”

Focus chairman Peter Kujawski adds, “Since the series ended, fans of Downton have long been waiting for the Crawley family’s next chapter. We’re thrilled to join this incredible group of filmmakers, actors and craftspeople, led by Julian Fellowes and Gareth Neame, in bringing back the world of Downton to the big screen.”

The Downton Abbey movie is a Carnival Films production, with Focus Features and Universal Pictures International distributing. A release date has yet to be set.

https://deadline.com/2018/07/downton-abbey-movie-greenlight-original-cast-summer-production-start-focus-universal-carnival-1202426045/

Edited by filmlover

Oddly enough I am rooting for this, despire the fact I was not that craxzy about the show (imho a "Upstairs Downstaris" wannbe) simply because movies like this piss off all the geeks who don't care about anything unless is has exploisions, fancy SFX< and over the top violence.

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

Oddly enough I am rooting for this, despire the fact I was not that craxzy about the show (imho a "Upstairs Downstaris" wannbe) simply because movies like this piss off all the geeks who don't care about anything unless is has exploisions, fancy SFX< and over the top violence.

Downton Abbey never pissed of the internet geeks. The fuck are you going on about?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

Image result for why every time you speak i wanna throw up

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, MrGlass2 said:

Hoping this is hard R for gruesome violence.

finally julian fellowes will be unburdened by the censorship of ITV and can make the hardcore FUCK story he's always wanted to tell. Dame Maggie Smith going full frontal.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

finally julian fellowes will be unburdened by the censorship of ITV and can make the hardcore FUCK story he's always wanted to tell. Dame Maggie Smith going full frontal.

The climatic orgy scene is going to be lit. 

47 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Downton Abbey never pissed of the internet geeks. The fuck are you going on about?

From what I've been able to glean dudalb is Old Man Yells at Cloud personified. Any excuse to yell, no matter how flimsy, will do

• Like 4

2 hours ago, dudalb said:

From the guy who called the idea of Jungle Cruise "pretentious". 

I just finished watching the show with my wife. Historical fiction is an area I like and after we got married set this as one to watch(she had already seen it all). I must say I totally relate to Happy in Iron Man 3 when he is recovering and watching DA in his room now!!

I'm curious to see how much of a time jump there will be. Show ended in 1926.