filmlover

Downton Abbey | Sep 20 2019 | Focus Features | 16th Most Profitable Movie of 2019

https://deadline.com/2019/08/downton-abbey-fandango-box-office-first-day-sales-1202700908/

‘Downton Abbey’ First Day Fandango Presales Bigger Than ‘Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again’

Focus Features has a secret weapon on the fall release schedule and that’s Downton Abbey on Sept. 20.

While everyone is buzzing about Warner Bros.’ screaming in the start of fall with New Line’s It: Chapter Two, Downton Abbey could very well see a huge turnout of older female moviegoers.. The pic’s first day of advance sales on Fandango Tuesday are the potential first indication of that.

As of right now, the Carnival Film & TV and Perfect World co-production is outpacing the first day sales of Universal’s Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again and Sony’s Once Upon a Time…in Hollywood. The first comparison is to a huge skewing female pic that rang up a $34.9M opening, while the latter is the first serious piece of non-tentpole counter-programming that’s rallied at the summer, debuting to $41M. Typically, female moviegoers head to movies in groups and plan their multiplex visits in advance, and that’s what we are seeing here with Downton Abbey.

• Like 2
  • Astonished 3

This is having a Dolby fan event the week before release. People are sleeping on this.

btw, I tried watching Season 1 last week but don’t think I have the willpower to make it through all six seasons. Still may catch this if it gets good reviews tho

On 8/22/2019 at 7:03 AM, Maxmoser3 said:

According to Box Office Mojo, this is in limited release. But it would be nice to see this be a big hit next month! What if this outgrossed Pennywise? 

BOM lists it as going wide right now. I could see it opening limited on the 20th and then going wide on the 27th but who knows?

The show was huge so I could see this making bank. I mean, it was usually huge at the awards. I'm not sure how big the fan following is though and if it can drive a healthy box office gross. I hope it's big though. If IT 2 isn't going to be as big as we thought, we need the couple other September offerings to step up. Right now September is looking like July. Only 7 wide offerings but this time there isn't two big blockbusters. IT 2 won't be as big as either FFH or TLK.

24 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:

Saw this earlier today, thought it was great. Never seen the show but it does a decent job of letting you know who people are so you never feel lost. I’d imagine the fans will love it.

Maggie Smith and her snarky comments are the highlight.

Sounds like everything the fans will want. Great!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SnokesLegs said:

Saw this earlier today, thought it was great. Never seen the show but it does a decent job of letting you know who people are so you never feel lost. I’d imagine the fans will love it.

Maggie Smith and her snarky comments are the highlight.

Would you say it's a one-off or have they left the door open for Downton 2.

8 hours ago, Verrows said:

So if I have not watched the show can the movie stand alone? Or would it not make sense? I have been interest in watching the show but have not gotten around to it ywt.

You’d be fine. I’ve never seen a single episode of the show but the movie made perfect sense to me. They do a good job of reintroducing the characters to audiences who may be unfamiliar with the show.