filmlover

Downton Abbey | Sep 20 2019 | Focus Features | 16th Most Profitable Movie of 2019

3 hours ago, Krissykins said:

I’m assuming this will be big here in the UK but I’ve not seen any advertising. I’m sure there’s loads on normal TV though. 

I’m guessing a huge chunk of its audience don’t go to the cinema often, so it will be interesting to see what happens. 

Or just not frequent the cineplex. They probably all saw Magic Mike and/or 50 Shades of Grey though would be my guess when they did hit the cineplex last. 

3 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Nah I mean like a really older crowd. 60+

Not just adult women. 

Yeah, this will more than likely be one of those films that does really well on weekdays when the 60+ crowd show up, particularly in the UK. I’m expecting it to perform similarly to something like The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel. 

Edited by SnokesLegs
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, SnokesLegs said:

You’d be fine. I’ve never seen a single episode of the show but the movie made perfect sense to me. They do a good job of reintroducing the characters to audiences who may be unfamiliar with the show.

This is good to hear. I haven't seen the show either but have been meaning to binge it whenever I have a big block of time. The film, if I make it out to see it, but me a good intro.

1 hour ago, harlequinade said:

To anyone who has not seen the show - it's really good and worth watching for Maggie Smith's sassy lines alone :)

The first three seasons were really good.

After a certain event the show became very much more like a soap  then a dramatic series but still good sunday television. 

On ‎9‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 2:29 PM, JB33 said:

This is good to hear. I haven't seen the show either but have been meaning to binge it whenever I have a big block of time. The film, if I make it out to see it, but me a good intro.

Binge on "Upstairs, Downstairs" instead. It's a much better show. "Downton Abbey" pretty good..the acting in particular, but not nearly as good as "Upstairs, Downstairs". FOr one thing, Upstairs was much better written.

Edited by dudalb
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dudalb said:

Binge on "Upstairs, Downstairs" instead. It's a much better show. "Downton Abbey" pretty good..the acting in particular, but not nearly as good as "Upstairs, Downstairs". FOr one thing, Upstairs was much better written.

Upstairs, Downstairs is the main reason I never was able to get into DA even though I really like a lot of the cast - especially Dockery and Smith.

20 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Upstairs, Downstairs is the main reason I never was able to get into DA even though I really like a lot of the cast - especially Dockery and Smith.

I enjoyed Downton Abbey but ,yeah, it is not nearly as good as Upstairs DownStairs. The acting is really the best thing about Downton Abbey, the writing often descending into Soap Opera..something that seldom happened with Upstairs Downstairs.

I think that Upstairs covered a much longer period of time might have had something to do with that....from 1906 to 1929. They has a lot more history to play around with. In fact, I think the First World War episodes were the best of the series. The limited time scope of Downton sort of hurt it, I think.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 1

https://deadline.com/2019/09/downton-abbey-movie-uk-opening-international-box-office-1202734603/

EXCLUSIVE: Downton Abbey, the movie, began offshore rollout this week in 17 markets including the UK where the film had its world premiere on Monday. The big screen transfer of the award-winning and game-changing period drama is off to a strong start in key hubs. The weekend is estimated at $12.5M.

Currently, the Focus/Universal/Carnival Films production from the pen of Julian Fellowes is tracking ahead of The Kings’s Speech (+61%), Darkest Hour (+64%) and The Favourite (+75%) in like-for-like markets, perhaps giving Lady Mary cause to raise a perfectly-sculpted eyebrow.

In the UK, the Michael Engler-directed return to all things Crawley is driving to the No. 1 spot this weekend, with an anticipated $7M frame. It is at 732 locations and on 1,500 screens. The British launch is estimated to be ahead of Murder On The Orient Express (+20%), Absolutely Fabulous (+47%), Darkest Hour (+48%) and Rocketman (+51%).

In Australia, Downton is duking it out with It Chapter Two for the top slot at around $2M, and is tracking ahead of The Inbetweeners (+11%), Absolutely Fabulous (+14%) and Victoria And Abdul (+68%).

There have also been strong starts in the Netherlands, Sweden, Finland, New Zealand and Norway.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Eric! said:

Good stuff. Hoping for a nice little run for this.

I mean, at this point, I'm hoping for nice little runs for everything that isn't a Disney tentpoles (not that I don't root for those either).

Okay, let's simplify this: I'm rooting for the box office!

My grandma wanted to see the movie cause she watched the show when iT aired. She hasn’t gone to the cinema in atleast 20 years. So i Saïd i would go with her but i would first watch the show. I’m now at the beginning of season 5 so two seasons to go. Absolutely marvelous show love iT 

• Like 1

On 9/16/2019 at 6:57 AM, SchumacherFTW said:

Went to see this on a whim yesterday, and really enjoyed it. Nice simple Sunday afternoon kind of movie. 

Yeah that's the vibe I'm getting. Not being a fan in the first place, that's probably why I'll wait until it's streaming to watch it. 

Glad you liked it though.