sfran43

Thursday's Numbers: AM&TW $5.29M

1 hour ago, Jonwo said:

I wonder if Ocean's 8 will get to matching or outgrossing RPO for WB's highest grossing film domestically this year.

Either way The Nun will beat both :ph34r:

27 minutes ago, Noodlebug said:

I think we're entering a box office lull that will be around the rest of the year. 2018 pretty much blew it's load completely with massive blockbusters all crammed in the first half, and now the second half looks to be fairly dull in comparison.

Idk, Nov/Dec look insane, Sept/Oct have a lot of breakout potential, and the 3week period of Julyy20/Aug3 look strong

2 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

But when SMH had that 2nd week, that's when everyone (except me and a few posters) thought the wheels had come off and its legs were dead...and I admit, I always said late legs were coming for Spidey, not that its 2nd week holds were any good...

But for those late legs, SMH and AM&TW do not face the same competition, nor environment, nor even movie strengths (Spidey, as a teenager, just plays better than a middle aged man to the tween set:)...so hoping it rebounds in week 3 like Spidey did is hoping a lot without a lot of evidence yet...

But why wouldn't it rebound in the third weekend? Thursday previews made up the biggest percentage of the opening weekend of any MCU movie. It won't have to deal with that on the third weekend, so why wouldn't the 3rd weekend drop be a lot softer than the 2nd?

And it's July. A >60% drop with schools out is very different to a >60% drop with kids in school. The weekdays eat more demand in the summer which leads to bigger 2nd weekend drops, but it doesn't lead to lower multipliers. The weekdays are bigger so they compensate for the bigger 2nd weekend drop. Seems a like lot of people don't account for that.

And btw, I'm not saying it'll get a 2.86 multi like SMH. No MCU sequel has had legs that good. The average multi for an MCU sequel is about 2.5. With SMH's 2nd weekend drop it would need to add about 2 times its 2nd weekend total(much less than SMH's 2.9 times) to reach a 2.5 multi. Doesn't seem very hard with the help of summer weekdays.

7 minutes ago, Ephemeris said:

But why wouldn't it rebound in the third weekend? Thursday previews made up the biggest percentage of the opening weekend of any MCU movie. It won't have to deal with that on the third weekend, so why wouldn't the 3rd weekend drop be a lot softer than the 2nd?

And it's July. A >60% drop with schools out is very different to a >60% drop with kids in school. The weekdays eat more demand in the summer which leads to bigger 2nd weekend drops, but it doesn't lead to lower multipliers. The weekdays are bigger so they compensate for the bigger 2nd weekend drop. Seems a like lot of people don't account for that.

And btw, I'm not saying it'll get a 2.86 multi like SMH. No MCU sequel has had legs that good. The average multi for an MCU sequel is about 2.5. With SMH's 2nd weekend drop it would need to add about 2 times its 2nd weekend total(much less than SMH's 2.9 times) to reach a 2.5 multi. Doesn't seem very hard with the help of summer weekdays.

We're talking past each other then...2.5x is $189M for Ant Man and the Wasp (and I'd expect that...maybe even a push to $200M)...that is not what many posters are hoping for in legs recovery for this movie.  That $189M might make a lot of folks unhappy...

7 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

We're talking past each other then...2.5x is $189M for Ant Man and the Wasp (and I'd expect that...maybe even a push to $200M)...that is not what many posters are hoping for in legs recovery for this movie.  That $189M might make a lot of folks unhappy...

I'm already crushed and disbelieving but that would be just :stretcher:

It's not happening. It can't. 

• Sad 1

17 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

Yeah I also think it still has a decent shot at $200M+. Was just saying that I don't see why a multi of 2.5 or higher for Ant-Man would be considered bad legs for this. It would be right in line with previous MCU sequel legs, or even above average. So if it gets that multi, why wouldn't the drops be standard/expected? Just because people are hoping for more doesn't mean that multi would be unexpected. Hoping and expecting are two different things.

And yeah, I'm sure some would be underwhelmed if it does end up missing $200M, but in the end it'll still make enough to be successful, so it's fine really. It's far from a flop.

(Extremely late reply, I know, lol)

These are some massive drops on Thursday considering there really isn't anything huge to open this weekend.  30% drops (or close to it ) for Tag, DP2 and Hereditary?  Wow.  And O8 crumbled too.