YM!

Weekend Thread | Hotel 3 $44.1 Skyscraper 25.4, Ant Man’s size does matter with $28.8M

25 minutes ago, baumer said:

It has no major US distribution.  No matter what the reviews were like, it wasn't going to do overly well.  That's besides my point.  I was mentioning that in a different box office era this would have opened in 3000 theatres. 

If it had great or even solid reviews it would have got a distributor even in this era.     Last year Reiner's LBJ pick starring Harrelson got distribution and opened in 650+ theaters.

Even a very positive reviewed movie like Spotlight didn't initially open wide and never got wider than 897 theaters.   The Post didn't start off wide and that  had Spielberg/Hanks/Streep.

The era for a movie like this with poor to mediocre reviews opening wide is closer to 15+ years ago.  Largely that's because marketing wide movies has become very expensive and the home video market isn't nearly as huge as it once was - especially in supporting low and mid tier adult driven dramas (thrillers, romances etc)

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, John Marston said:

looks like IW will not pass 680m especially with the Blu ray release coming soon. Oh well

They need to just go ahead and put a plastic bag over Panther's head and call it a day. This slow drag on is ridiculous. Just end the shit at 699.9 already so I can frame it and trigger my ocd for good.

Edited by Jandrew
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Astonished 1

3 hours ago, Jandrew said:

They need to just go ahead and put a plastic bag over Panther's head and call it a day. This slow drag on is ridiculous. Just end the shit at 699.9 already so I can frame it and trigger my ocd for good.

It makes no sense.  They Puerto Rico A Wrinkle to 100 mill and they can't just say that BP is playing with AMATW at a few drive ins?  It has to go over 700.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, baumer said:

Look, let's call a spade a spade.  If it makes it to 195 and the original did 180, that's not exactly a massive increase.  That's about 8%.

Let's face it: AM2 is a disappointment. I liked it a lot, but it's box office is poor.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Moviefanatic said:

If Hawkeye was also in Ant Man the film would already be over 200 million domestic. Shame! 

I agree with this.  I think they were foolish not to have another Avenger in the movie.

6 minutes ago, baumer said:

It makes no sense.  They Puerto Rico A Wrinkle to 100 mill and they can't just say that BP is playing with AMATW at a few drive ins?  It has to go over 700.

I think it's because $100M solidifies stronger TV deals, while they have nothing to gain from $700M (only two movies in history have crossed the mark). But yeah, gonna be funny if they let it stop so close to that finish line.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, baumer said:

Yeah, I fail to see the thought process going on at Disney. It's just 100k. Just do a quick Tangled then yank it already. You can even get one more headline out of it, "Black Panther still making history: only 3rd movie to pass 700m."

Like damn I'm serious, when I pump gas it has to end on .00, the TV volume has to be an even number or a 5, I have to wash my hands twice. I'm being serious, this 699.99999 is legit getting on my nerves.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Astonished 1

Skyscraper:

Remainder of this week: 12.8M (38.3M Total)

Jul 20: 12.6M (7.1M weekdays, 58M Total)

Jul 27: 6.6M (3.6M weekdays, 68.2M Total)

Aug 3: 2.7M (1.7M weekdays, 72.6M Total)

Aug 10: 1.5M (700k weekdays, 74.8M Total)

Aug 17: 800k (400k weekdays, 76M Total)

Final Total: 79M (3.1x)

I don't see this missing a 3x unless The Equalizer and/or MI hit it hard. The TC drop is going to be horrible on August 3, but I think it can hang in there until then.

I don't feel like doing HT3 or AM right now, so maybe later lol

39 minutes ago, baumer said:

It's not going to increase all that much from the first one, domestically.  Internationally it's doing very well....no doubt.  But if this misses 200 mill, that would be a disappointment imo.  Right now, I have it on track to increase less that ten percent from the first one.  Not so great.

At least it's not decreasing massively from first one like JW.

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

40 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Fun fact...

Only 3 non-Disney movies might have a bigger DOM gross than Ant-man 2 by August in 2018:

Jurassic World, Deadpool and Mission Impossible.

And its questionable whether Deadpool counts against Disney or if Mission Impossible 6 will join that exclusive club.

So only JW? Lmao.

Well, to be fair, how many non-Disney movies had production budgets of $162M or higher...isn't it sitting right where it should with movies of the same budget?

I mean, some $7M production budget I Can Only Imagine can only go SO high above expectations:)...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

Disney better fudge its 200M if needs be considering they made fools of themselves trying to get super bomb AWIT to 100M. At least people care for AM&TW. Oh, and just fuckin fudge BP's 700M and call it a day. I bet that BP lost some due to AWIT fudge. 

Are you even half serious ?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Premium George said:

At least it's not decreasing massively from first one like JW.

Come on buddy.  Think about what you just said here.  

So, how does it work for Skyscraper?

It seems the budget is 125/129 million, but in reality it's a co-production between Universal and Legendary. So, I assume each one spent 60-65 million.

If Skyscraper makes 100 million in China, what happens? Legendary keeps 75% and Universal keeps 25%? What about the rest of the world? Does Universal keep 40% of overseas numbers ( minus China )?

I'm very curious to see how can Skyscraper end up being profitable.

• Thanks 1