YM!

Weekend Thread | Hotel 3 $44.1 Skyscraper 25.4, Ant Man’s size does matter with $28.8M

2 minutes ago, Alli said:

yeah, Rampage has won the fight.  I'm surprised because skyscraper had a clear hook and seemed more accessible to the general public

Rampage had a more enticing hook (The Rock vs. giant monsters while Skyscraper has...an amputee The Rock holding onto the side of a CGI giant tower?).

1 minute ago, Biggestgeekever said:

That is pretty strong. In comparison, Cars 3 did $2.8M which translated into a $53M OW. Though there doesn't seem to be any indication if this includes the $1.2M Amazon Prime showings or not.

Probably not is my guess, it wasn’t included with Jumanji.

• Like 1

Just now, Jayhawk said:

I will say that if there is a scenario that Fallout is going to breakout in a few weeks, this is it. Nothing is breaking out big. 

Mamma Mia is on track for a decent-sized opening too ($40M looks doable) but that and Mission: Impossible can easily co-exist.

1 minute ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

I'm pretty sure Jumanji didn't have previews.

As for the Prime stuff, I feel like that's being excluded from HT3's preview, as Deadline would probably specify something like "That $2.6M includes the $1.3M that was generated June 29 through Amazon Prime advance screenings," like they did for Ocean's 8 with their AMC Dolby exclusive screening.

• Like 2

Just now, CoolEric258 said:

I'm pretty sure Jumanji didn't have previews.

As for the Prime stuff, I feel like that's being excluded from HT3's preview, as Deadline would probably specify something like "That $2.6M includes the $1.3M that was generated June 29 through Amazon Prime advance screenings," like they did for Ocean's 8 with their AMC Dolby exclusive screening.

It probably will be added to the gross like Jumanji and Ocean’s 8.

• Like 1

I never understood why people thought Hotel Transylvania 3 would decrease substantially. The second one increased when most sequels like this usually decrease, and the summer vacation theme made this one appear different enough from its predecessors to avoid staleness. 

• Like 4

Runtimes without credits and trailer attachments for next week:

The Equalizer 2: 1:57. Attachments unknown (probably White Boy Rick and Searching)

Mamma Mia!: 1:47. Attachments are First Man and Welcome to Marwen (new trailer? might just have a corrected date)

Unfriended: 1:29. Attachments are Halloween and BlacKkKlansman

Skyscraper looks like it might crawl to 24-25M OW at most with the preview #.  That might not stop it from hitting 100 million though.  Jumanji opened pretty light too on Wed/Thurs and carried over, so maybe Sat & Sun will hit over 10 million.

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

I never understood why people thought Hotel Transylvania 3 would decrease substantially. The second one increased when most sequels like this usually decrease, and the summer vacation theme made this one appear different enough from its predecessors to avoid staleness. 

Exactly not to mention outside of I2 there wasn’t any big animated movies this year. Families have been somewhat starved.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dVmatrix5x said:

Skyscraper looks like it might crawl to 24-25M OW at most with the preview #.  That might not stop it from hitting 100 million though.  Jumanji opened pretty light too on Wed/Thurs and carried over, so maybe Sat & Sun will hit over 10 million.

jumanji was a WOM monster, i doubt that about skyscraper

Also, Skyscraper looks to be on track to become the summer's first significant underperformer? Solo was a money-loser but still made over $200M, whereas this probably won't even cross $75M. Been a pretty safe summer compared to previous ones.

Well, Skyscraper will probably be my most over predicted film of the year.  I took a 60 mill OW and a 200 total in the summer game.  This looked like a slam dunk to me.  Die Hard meets Towering Inferno with the Rock.  This looked like it had slam dunk written all over it.  I really don't get the box office at times.  

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

BOM answered that

Sony's Hotel Transylvania 3: Summer Vacation took in $2.6 million from Thursday night previews, which began at 5PM and took place in 3,276 locations. This total does not include the $1.3 million the film already took in from advanced showings on June 30 for Amazon Prime members, which will be added to the overall weekend cume.

There's really no consistency to how they're reported. Jumanji was reported for the actual day it happened, and early showtimes for Incredibles 2 were rolled into the Thursday number.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, baumer said:

Well, Skyscraper will probably be my most over predicted film of the year.  I took a 60 mill OW and a 200 total in the summer game.  This looked like a slam dunk to me.  Die Hard meets Towering Inferno with the Rock.  This looked like it had slam dunk written all over it.  I really don't get the box office at times.  

I too thought it was gonna be a hit. I had it at 100M tho. It has such a clear and simple premise, i don't get it. Reviews are not that bad either

• Like 1