YM!

Weekend Thread | Hotel 3 $44.1 Skyscraper 25.4, Ant Man’s size does matter with $28.8M

600 looking like it will be really close for I2. Dorys multi from here gets it 595, but it’s been holding stronger than that the past couple weeks. 

Time to officially stick a fork in 700 for BP unless Disney steps in, but that seems unlikely. Down to 14k on 28 screens, no way for it to naturally add another 100k now. That will forever be aggravating to see it stuck at 699.9m if they don’t do anything. 

• Astonished 1

3 minutes ago, StevenG said:

Girl, please.

Captain Marvel will put Marvel right back in the 100-million-plusOW-300-million-plusDomestic happy club.

As for BW...Scarjo deserves another flop.

Hopefully the tagline will be "watch her play a cis white woman in her first solo adventure!"

I just choked on my coffee. Omg 

• Haha 2

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

600 looking like it will be really close for I2. Dorys multi from here gets it 595, but it’s been holding stronger than that the past couple weeks. 

Time to officially stick a fork in 700 for BP unless Disney steps in, but that seems unlikely. Down to 14k on 28 screens, no way for it to naturally add another 100k now. That will forever be aggravating to see it stuck at 699.9m if they don’t do anything. 

3D re-release ;)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, baumer said:

Exactly.  There's also a very real possibility it doesn't gross as much as the original in NA.  That kind of sucks.

It's not a very real possibility  at all that that it makes less than $48m more off a $28.8m summer weekend.

AM was at $106.2m after it's second w/e of $24.9m.  It dropped 48.6% its next w/e and still did $74m more.   

• Like 4

Shock and Awe opens in 100 theatres this weekend and has no marketing, a great cast and is the kind of film that maybe even 5 years ago would of had a big marketing push and a wide distribution.  It grossed 40K this weekend.  It was directed by Rob Reiner and had a cast that includes Woody Harrelson, Jessica Biel, Tommy Lee Jones and James Marsden.  And yet no North American distribution.  

:whosad:

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I think I2 will get there with the Labor Day boost. It had a pretty good hold against direct competition. Should have pretty good drops for the next few weeks. 

3 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

It's not a very real possibility  at all that that it makes less than $48m more off a $28.8m summer weekend.

AM was at $106.2m after it's second w/e of $24.9m.  It dropped 48.6% its next w/e and still did $74m more.   

Sure there's a possibility.  Why would you assume this would have strong legs?  It's a sequel and they automatically are prone to stronger openings and weaker legs.  Maybe strong was the wrong word to use.  It will probably get past the first but miss 200.  But still, if it collapses next weekend, the odds of it missing the originals gross increase.

Ant-Man and The Wasp is now 13 million behind Thor The Dark World at the same point...

Thor 2 finished its domestic run with 206 million domestic.  If Ant-Man wants to make more than 200 million domestic, it'll need to perform better than this movie.

• Like 1

I don’t know why people keep having a debate over whether Ant-Man’s numbers are disappointing or not. They’re really not when you look at the big picture. They’re actually very good especially internationally. 

What I find ironic/funny though are the posters on here who a month ago were adamant that Ant-Man would open to $100M because it’s the MCU and the MCU is on fire, are now currently back tracking and are twisting the narrative to “Not every MCU movie will make $700M WW so Ant-Man is doing great,” which yea is very true but is not what the mindset was for most of you a month ago :thinking:

Edited by Nova
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, baumer said:

Shock and Awe opens in 100 theatres this weekend and has no marketing, a great cast and is the kind of film that maybe even 5 years ago would of had a big marketing push and a wide distribution.  It grossed 40K this weekend.  It was directed by Rob Reiner and had a cast that includes Woody Harrelson, Jessica Biel, Tommy Lee Jones and James Marsden.  And yet no North American distribution.  

:whosad:

It actually was released at a few arthouse theaters around here. It's just another under-the-radar Rob Reiner release, like everything he's done for the past decade (The Bucket List was the last movie of his to get a wide release).

13 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Expecting 100 m increase WW from Ant-man 1 to Ant-man 2 is reasonable (620 m WW).

Expecting a 150 m increase (650 m WW) was optimistic.

Expecting over 700 m was loonie central.

Weren’t you predicting over $700M?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, filmlover said:

It actually was released at a few arthouse theaters around here. It's just another under-the-radar Rob Reiner release, like everything he's done for the past decade (The Bucket List was the last movie of his to get a wide release).

You're right.  But this one, in another era, would have been a major release with a good marketing push.  

3 hours ago, eVerYtHING said:

Does anyone know what THe Incredibles opened to in the U.K. ? It was jam packed so many sold out screenings

12.1 million.

6 minutes ago, John Marston said:

come now. You're not going to sit here and tell me the studio didn't predict well over 200m for Ant Man and probably over 700m worldwide. Ant Man is no flop and it is nothing to worry about but it is falling under pretty much all expectations

Well over 200 m?

How much over?

You expected Dr Strange numbers?

I don't think you guys appreciate how hard it is to get C-list characters to beat franchises like Mission Impossible, Harry Potter, Jason Bourne, James Bond, X-men, and Fast and Furious.

I mean just because Marvel turned GotG, Thor, Black Panther into gold mines doesn't mean its easy or inevitable.

6 minutes ago, Nova said:

I don’t know why people keep having a debate over whether Ant-Man’s numbers are disappointing or not. They’re really not when you look at the big picture. They’re actually very good especially internationally. 

What I find ironic/funny though are the posters on here who a month ago were adamant that Ant-Man would open to $100M because it’s the MCU and the MCU is on fire, are now currently back tracking and are twisting the narrative to “Not every MCU movie will make $700M WW so Ant-Man is doing great,” which yea is very true but is not what the mindset was for most of you a month ago :thinking:

A lot of us thought it could open to 100 as a ceiling, but I saw very few pushing it as some kind of near lock. It was always a best case kind of things for most of us.

1 hour ago, baumer said:

Sure there's a possibility.  Why would you assume this would have strong legs?  It's a sequel and they automatically are prone to stronger openings and weaker legs.

It doesn't need strong legs.  It would only need non abysmal legs not to pass the first.   To not hit $180m would mean less than 2.37 legs in the summer. 

F4 which was a train wreck had a 68.2% drop and did 2.18.  Suicide Squad after a 67.4% drop did a 2.43.  The Incredible Hulk did a 2.43 after drops of 60.1/ 56.7 / 48.8 / 52.6/  73 and it was a mid June release w/o though full summer days.

Just ordinary legs for the summer - 2.63 (well below the firsts 3.14) gets it to $200m

Edited by TalismanRing

7 minutes ago, Nova said:

disappointing is not the same as financially disappointing. 

• Like 1