YM!

Weekend Thread | Hotel 3 $44.1 Skyscraper 25.4, Ant Man’s size does matter with $28.8M

9 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

Ant-Man and The Wasp is now 13 million behind Thor The Dark World at the same point...

Thor 2 finished its domestic run with 206 million domestic.  If Ant-Man wants to make more than 200 million domestic, it'll need to perform better than this movie.

Thor 2 didn't have summer holidays but it did have Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays so it is going to be interesting to see

26 minutes ago, GraceRandolph said:

Black panther will reach 700m as a double feature with BP2 

At the rate that its crawling, you're probably right!😫

mrw-im-trying-to-make-it-home-after-a-ha

Edited by sfran43
  • Haha 3
  • Astonished 2
  • Sad 1

Ant-Man is disappointing based on bold clubs that predicted UNPRECEDENTED OW increases for an MCU film.

Based on reality, it had a decent OW gross increase and will have a decent DOM and WW increase.

With a medium budget.

The studio isn't having a huge party like they probably did with BP and IW but I doubt their pissed off either, lol.

8 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

Ant-Man and The Wasp is now 13 million behind Thor The Dark World at the same point...

Thor 2 finished its domestic run with 206 million domestic.  If Ant-Man wants to make more than 200 million domestic, it'll need to perform better than this movie.

TDW opened $8m higher and had Veteran's Day.  It was $14m higher after the first 4  days and even with a 2nd w/e $8m higher it lost a  million because of summer weekdays.  It faced Catching Fire on it's 3rd w/e and took a  61.2% hit that even the Thanksgiving holidays the next w/e couldn't make up for.    November is not summer.

3 hours ago, grey ghost said:

Ant-Man is disappointing based on bold clubs that predicted UNPRECEDENTED OW increases for an MCU film.

Based on reality, it had a decent OW gross increase and will have a decent DOM and WW increase.

With a medium budget.

The studio isn't having a huge party like they probably did with BP and IW but I doubt their pissed off either, lol.

Look, let's call a spade a spade.  If it makes it to 195 and the original did 180, that's not exactly a massive increase.  That's about 8%.

9 minutes ago, John Marston said:

disappointing is not the same as financially disappointing. 

I mean I ask this honestly but what types of numbers were you expecting? There were various posters on here that asked why would Ant-Man make the ridiculous numbers that some members kept saying it would and the only response they’d get is “It’s the MCU.” And here we are with Ant-Man increasing over the original by a decent amount but people saying it’s disappointing. Why? The reality is if you were paying attention, the numbers it’s doing are normal and good and not disappointing. It’s an Ant-Man movie with no connection to Infinity War (based on what people have said) and isn’t really doing anything new from the original. 

I just think it’s funny though that those who kept using the MCU as an excuse for why it would increase by a ridiculous amount are backtracking now as if there weren’t posters on here telling them that just because the MCU branding is attached to a movie doesn’t automatically mean it’s going to gross $300M domestic and $700M+ WW 

Edited by Nova

3 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

It needed better reviews for this kind of film. A shame because it's an important topic. 

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/shock_and_awe_2018

It has no major US distribution.  No matter what the reviews were like, it wasn't going to do overly well.  That's besides my point.  I was mentioning that in a different box office era this would have opened in 3000 theatres. 

Fun fact...

Only 3 non-Disney movies might have a bigger DOM gross than Ant-man 2 by August in 2018:

Jurassic World, Deadpool and Mission Impossible.

And its questionable whether Deadpool counts against Disney or if Mission Impossible 6 will join that exclusive club.

So only JW? Lmao.

3 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

With a medium budget.

Will it though? Its unlikely to get to 200M. Given the first one did 180M that does not seem to be much of an increase.

"Medium budget" - Deadline says budget is 162M, not as much as Guardians of the Galaxy 2 but still not small / medium.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nova said:

I mean I ask this honestly but what types of numbers were you expecting? There were various posters on here that asked why would Ant-Man make the ridiculous numbers that some members kept saying it would and the only response they’d get is “It’s the MCU.” And here we are with Ant-Man increasing over the original by a decent amount but people saying it’s disappointing. Why? The reality is if you were paying attention, the numbers it’s doing are normal and good and not disappointing. It’s an Ant-Man movie with no connection to Infinity War (based on what people have said) and isn’t really doing anything new from the original. 

I just think it’s funny though that those who kept using the MCU as an excuse for why it would increase by a ridiculous amount and make phase 3 numbers are backtracking now as if there weren’t posters on here telling them that just because the MCU branding is attached to a movie doesn’t automatically mean it’s going to gross phase 3 numbers. 

It's not going to increase all that much from the first one, domestically.  Internationally it's doing very well....no doubt.  But if this misses 200 mill, that would be a disappointment imo.  Right now, I have it on track to increase less that ten percent from the first one.  Not so great.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Nova said:

I just think it’s funny though that those who kept using the MCU as an excuse for why it would increase by a ridiculous amount are backtracking now as if there weren’t posters on here telling them that just because the MCU branding is attached to a movie doesn’t automatically mean it’s going to gross $300M domestic and $700M+ WW 

I personally was expecting 250m and over 700m. Like I said Ant-Man is still a hit it just that it seems most predictions were in the 250m and more range

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, John Marston said:

I personally was expecting 250m and over 700m. Like I said Ant-Man is still a hit it just that it seems most predictions were in the 250m and more range

That’s fair enough. $250M seemed like a solid range for it I suppose given how the market has been for CBM. I guess when you put it that way :thinking:

Edited by Nova

18 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Weren’t you predicting over $700M?

My club was over 650 m.

For the summer game I went high with most my predictions.

Being 90 m off with Ant-Man isn't so bad when you look at my entire top 12.

😄 Worldwide top 12:

1) Infinity War - 1.75 billion
2) Jurassic World 2 - 1.45 billion
3) Incredibles 2 - 1.1 billion
4) Deadpool 2 - 900 m

5) Han Solo - 800 m
6) Mission Impossible- 750 m
7) Ant-Man and Wasp - 700 m
😎 Hotel Transylvania 3 - 650 m

9) Mama Mia 2 - 600 m
10) Skyscraper - 550 m
11) Oceans 8 - 500 m
12) The Meg - 450 m

Just now, grey ghost said:

My club was over 650 m.

For the summer game I went high with most my predictions.

Being 90 m off with Ant-Man isn't so bad when you look at my entire top 12.

😄 Worldwide top 12:

1) Infinity War - 1.75 billion
2) Jurassic World 2 - 1.45 billion
3) Incredibles 2 - 1.1 billion
4) Deadpool 2 - 900 m

5) Han Solo - 800 m
6) Mission Impossible- 750 m
7) Ant-Man and Wasp - 700 m
😎 Hotel Transylvania 3 - 650 m

9) Mama Mia 2 - 600 m
10) Skyscraper - 550 m
11) Oceans 8 - 500 m
12) The Meg - 450 m

Your Incredibles, Mission Impossible, and Mamma Mia numbers should be solid.

• Like 1