YM!

Weekend Thread | Hotel 3 $44.1 Skyscraper 25.4, Ant Man’s size does matter with $28.8M

3 hours ago, Premium George said:

No, I am serious. You are being hypocrite right now.

JWFK set records and blew up at the box office and had nowhere to go but down.  Ant-man was a modest hit and nowhere to go but up.  They are not even remotely comparable.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I think it's because $100M solidifies stronger TV deals, while they have nothing to gain from $700M (only two movies in history have crossed the mark). But yeah, gonna be funny if they let it stop so close to that finish line.

They won't. They will either push it across in a few weeks' time or re-release it during awards season like TDK (though the former will make for more impressive headlines than the latter).

2 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Ant-Man not even at 300 million worldwide yet? Jesus.

Because it didn't open in many markets. World Cup delay. Wait for August when it hits more markets.

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, baumer said:

JWFK set records and blew up at the box office and had nowhere to go but down.  Ant-man was a modest hit and nowhere to go but up.  They are not even remotely comparable.

IW went up? :Venom:

Edited by grey ghost

2 minutes ago, baumer said:

A certain other film also broke many records and it's sequel showed much better retention rate than JW both dom amd OS. Acting like JW performance is normal can't work than. 

3 hours ago, Premium George said:

A certain other film also broke many records and it's sequel showed much better retention rate than JW both dom amd OS. Acting like JW performance is normal can't work than. 

Ok, well, I can't explain it anymore to you.  You either get it or you don't.  Think whatever you want to.

12 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Well, to be fair, how many non-Disney movies had production budgets of $162M or higher...isn't it sitting right where it should with movies of the same budget?

I mean, some $7M production budget I Can Only Imagine can only go SO high above expectations:)...

I'm fairly certain at least half a dozen non-Disney movies had as budget over 150 m.

The next month should be interesting at the box office. Enough to satiate me for the inevitable lull after that until the Nun. 

Can't wait for that Alpha mega bomb, hopefully that thing cost like 100M. Meg's a gonner for sure too. It's going to be the best of both worlds with the Cruise missile followed by the Statham misfire.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DAJK said:

The next month should be interesting at the box office. Enough to satiate me for the inevitable lull after that until the Nun. 

Can't wait for that Alpha mega bomb, hopefully that thing cost like 100M. Meg's a gonner for sure too. It's going to be the best of both worlds with the Cruise missile followed by the Statham misfire.

What's your prediction for MEG?

The only reason it will bomb, imo, is that they went full retard and gave it a 150 million budget.  If they would have been more reasonable and slapped a 75 mill pricetag on it, it would of had a much better chance for success.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, baumer said:

Ok, well, I can't explain it anymore to you.  You either get it or you don't.  Think whatever you want to.

You are comparing ant man, a $500m film, to films that increase from sequels while comparing JW to films that showed bad retention rate. You are choosing your own examples to make films look like a certain way.

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, baumer said:

What's your prediction for MEG?

The only reason it will bomb, imo, is that they went full retard and gave it a 150 million budget.  If they would have been more reasonable and slapped a 75 mill pricetag on it, it would of had a much better chance for success.

I really have no clue about overseas gross, maybe China will eat it up but maybe not. For now I'm thinking something like 17/40 domestically. I've gone on about how I've heard the movie is bad, but that could also mean bad in a fun, campy sort of way. Even s, I don't think general audiences are going to catch on to the ''badness'' of this movie, whether intentional or not. 

Worldwide I guess 200 could happen I really have no clue. But no WAY should this have cost 150 million

• Like 1

I know i made the Skyscraper OVER Rampage club, but for an original film which in retrospect looked kinda dated, 25M is not that bad. What is the minimum OW for box office stars these days? Many can't open to 20M.

The problem is the budget is too high. And OS is not looking too good. But again for an original movie, 25M is not that horrible.

Edited by Alli

Summer multipliers update:

Infinity War: 2.62

Overboard: 3.42

Life of the Party: 2.94

Breaking In: 2.63

Deadpool 2: 2.52

Book Club: 4.99

Show Dogs: 2.93

Solo: 2.51

Adrift: 2.69

Upgrade: 2.54

Ocean's 8: 3.18

Hereditary: 3.17

Hotel Artemis: 2.07

The Incredibles 2: 2.93

Tag: 3.44

Superfly: 2.96

Jurassic World: 2.45

Sicario: 2.27

Uncle Drew: 2.41

Ant-Man: 1.75 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

So, how does it work for Skyscraper?

It seems the budget is 125/129 million, but in reality it's a co-production between Universal and Legendary. So, I assume each one spent 60-65 million.

If Skyscraper makes 100 million in China, what happens? Legendary keeps 75% and Universal keeps 25%? What about the rest of the world? Does Universal keep 40% of overseas numbers ( minus China )?

I'm very curious to see how can Skyscraper end up being profitable.

It has other player's that those 2, but largely yes it is talked if it was at large a 50%-50% split of the production cost.

When you have 2 distributor splitting the cost (Monument Man, Braveheart, Blade Runner 2049) often the distributor keep their market for themselve, and it become a 62 million movie on the domestic for one and a 62 million worldwide-domestic for the other. Or one has home video and not the other (like Sony on James Bond, Carrie and other MGM co-production)

When it is a co-distributor collaboration but a co-financier it can play in many different way.

Simplest case they do an almost even split of all the expense and revenues together, including marketing cost.

Has for is Skyscraper end up being profitable, it does not require to know the financement / distribution deal, that is more to answer was the movie profitable for a particular person, the movie itself is profitable as a whole or not.

If Skyscraper do 100m in China you can expect a profit of 21-23m for the distributor, probably split 50-50 among the 2 financier.

• Like 4