YM!

Weekend Thread | Hotel 3 $44.1 Skyscraper 25.4, Ant Man’s size does matter with $28.8M

Both Ant-Man films have been well-received and turned good profits (and without any Avengers appearances for the character, which is about to change).              

There will clearly be a sequel, and it won’t necessarily have a big change (Ragnarok’s change had more to do with the audience and star actor’s dissatisfaction with the character’s handling in TDW and AoU than the financials). I certainly would expect the third to have some more connectedness with the rest of the universe, possibly including a guest hero with a substantial role, but that would have been the case even if this one did 850.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, StevenG said:

I bet that Marvel will greenlight a third Ant-Man film, but they will Ragnarok the heck out of it (different tone, different [buzzy] director, the addition of a better known superhero in a supporting role [like Hulk], the inclusion of an obscure yet cool superhero (for fanservice) played by some exciting upcomer [like Tessa Thompson as Valkyrie], etc)

The Ant-Man franchise already has a team. I can't explain who without going into spoilers but if you saw the sequel you should already know who.

3 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

The Ant-Man franchise already has a team. I can't explain who without going into spoilers but if you saw the sequel you should already know who.

yeah Antman, Wasp and ........ for the 3rd movie.  But i still think Spidey migh be in it or Scarlet Witch would be a good addition to Wasp team up.

Edited by Quake

4 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Nobody gives a shit about those people

Spider-Man or someone will appear in a major role 

35 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

Ants have short legs.  It's tough to see Ant-Man go out like this.  I enjoyed it.  There probably won't be a 3rd now.  

Lmao.

Did you guys miss my phase 1 post?

Ant-Man 2 could outgross every phase one movie worldwide except TA.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Nobody gives a shit about those people

Spider-Man or someone will appear in a major role 

The team dynamic increases the scope.

So all you have to do is add a few B-listers from The Avengers 4 to get a mini-Avengers movie for Ant-man 3.

Edited by grey ghost

5 minutes ago, Quake said:

yeah Antman, Wasp and ........ for the 3rd movie.  But i still think Spidey migh be in it or Scarlet Witch would be a good addition to Wasp team up.

There's more than three people.

Can't say who.

33 minutes ago, StevenG said:

Thor was a nobody.

Let's not pretend that Thor was an iconic A-lister like Spidey, Wonder Woman, or Batman, when the MCU started.

And his two first films were as "well-received" as Ant-Man 2.

But just like Marvel nurtured him into a big movie property, they are doing the same with AM.

And believe me, they will do a third, and most likely shoehorn Spider-Man in it, and feature some cool female character ala Valkyrie in it just for fanservice.

Thor was a nobody? That's certainly news to me. 

Also, do not forget that the first 2 Thor movies were several years ago, when the MCU brand was much smaller than it is now. I don't get why some people want to keep pretending that Ant-Man 2 is nothing other than a relative failure (to put it as mildly as possible) It makes little sense to compare AM2 with films from 5 or 8 years ago, it should be compared with more recent ones and on that count it falls desperately short. 

Even if they do what you are saying for a possible 3rd Ant-Man film, that will raise the costs massively, it will still be a massive risk for Marvel. AM2 has been a disappointment at the very least, such are the facts in front of us. 

Antman 3 needs a 210 million plus  budget. Go big or go home...😎

Its going to be the last Antman movie anyway so just go nuts with a third...and not the boring visuals from the first 2...

5 minutes ago, PPZVGOS said:

Thor was a nobody? That's certainly news to me. 

Also, do not forget that the first 2 Thor movies were several years ago, when the MCU brand was much smaller than it is now. I don't get why some people want to keep pretending that Ant-Man 2 is nothing other than a relative failure (to put it as mildly as possible) It makes little sense to compare AM2 with films from 5 or 8 years ago, it should be compared with more recent ones and on that count it falls desperately short. 

Even if they do what you are saying for a possible 3rd Ant-Man film, that will raise the costs massively, it will still be a massive risk for Marvel. AM2 has been a disappointment at the very least, such are the facts in front of us. 

The brand is bigger, but Ant-Man isn't. There is only so much money a character like this can make. Both movies have good reviews, but no one is raving about them.

10 minutes ago, nevermore said:

The brand is bigger, but Ant-Man isn't. There is only so much money a character like this can make. Both movies have good reviews, but no one is raving about them.

I kind of agree with this. Ant-Man is not a big enough character to have his own franchise within the MCU. It was a cute effort and all, but ultimately it was a bridge too far for Marvel. 

3 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

Ant-Man and The Wasp don't need another Avenger in the 3rd one.  Jesus Christ.  Not everything needs to be a team up.

Maybe not, but everything needs to make money. 

AMatW gross is just fine. Not every movie needs to be a juggernaut. Is it doing a little worse than I thought it could? Sure, but that's more because of inflated expectations. It sure as hell isn't disappointing though.

13 minutes ago, PPZVGOS said:

How is a movie that cost 170M and already earned 284M (1.67% of its budget, in only a week) not going to make money?  Does it suck it won't make MORE?  Yup.  It is Sad Bens.  But it's not like Marvel Studios was already having a terrible year.

27 minutes ago, PPZVGOS said:

And the first 2 Ant-Man films made fine money. That's why this whole line of conversation from you is a bit odd.

• Like 3