grim22

The Curse of La Llorona | April 19 2019 | WB/New Line | James Wan producing

1 hour ago, Napoleon said:

Is the character supposed to be a Latina, though? 

Yes

In latinamerica folklore La Llorona is latina!

It is a legend that we are all told as children. With small variations depending on the country. Here it is called The Tulivieja

Edited by PanaMovie

23 minutes ago, PanaMovie said:

Yes

In latinamerica folklore La Llorona is latina!

It is a legend that we are all told as children. With small variations depending on the country. Here it is called The Tulivieja

But apparently the controversy is over Linda Cardellini's character who is the main hero/victim of the film. I would prefer to know more details about the setting and the characters.

Edited by Napoleon

I thought the whole point of acting was to portray people that you are not.  Acting is make believe.  I have no idea when this became such a big fucking deal.  So what if the lead actress is a white American.  It literally makes no difference if she is latina, Russian, Australian, Lavian or American.  Can she act?  Does she play the character well?  Then it shiouldn't matter if she wasn't born in Spain or where this legend is supposed to take place.

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 2
  • Knock It Off 1

I think the issue is if a white actress gets the role then it takes away an opportunity for a Latina or actress.  Now perhaps Cardilellini read best for the role according to the producers.  I’m not saying it’s right but maybe they saw something we haven’t yet

• Like 2

Who cares if it takes away an opportunity?  I'm assuming they hire who they feel is the best for the role.  I'm not sure why Hollywood has to worry about being PC and being like the NFL where minorities get interviewed for every head coaching job.  I don't go to a movie and get pissed off because an American plays a Canadian in a role.  I just think this "controversy" is pointless.

• Like 2
  • ...wtf 1
  • Knock It Off 1

3 minutes ago, Dr Loomis baumer said:

So I guess in today'w world, people would lose their fucking minds over Renee Zelwegger playing Bridget Jones.

How is that the same thing? Renee is the same race as Bridget. 

Edited by Frozen

3 hours ago, Dr Loomis baumer said:

Who cares if it takes away an opportunity?  I'm assuming they hire who they feel is the best for the role.  I'm not sure why Hollywood has to worry about being PC and being like the NFL where minorities get interviewed for every head coaching job.  I don't go to a movie and get pissed off because an American plays a Canadian in a role.  I just think this "controversy" is pointless.

You really think they give roles based on who's a better actor/actress? LOL. 

There's also another possibility, they hired a lead actress that could sell the movie better, but seeing as how 1) She's unknown and 2) They made the movie to appeal mostly to a Latin audience, seeing as how only latinos know the story, it's really a bad business idea to entirely strip away all the latin background, making it just another generic horror story that didn't need to be called "La Llorona". As Coco proved, respect the audience and they will show up in droves.

So it's just another case where studio executives think White is the default race completely erasing different cultures. Unlike the latest ScarJo controversy, where she was the only reason the movie was in development (SJW really lost it)

I assume a lot of Americans would really get upset with a Lincoln movie set in Colombia starring Eugenio Derbez (I really struggled to find a latin star for this. That alone speaks volumes), not only those ones one would call SJW (just look at the ridiculous "First Man" flag controversy)

Btw, this is only a teaser trailer so we don't actually know how the movie will turn out but the teaser reaction is completely earned. I hope it was just a bad teaser because the story is really huge over here and I'd like to see a good adaptation.

Edited by expensiveho

1 hour ago, Dr Loomis baumer said:

She's not the same nationality.  So that's taking a job away from a British person.

British people don’t face harsh discrimination in Hollywood. They basically take every role. So it’s not comparable. 

Baumer, I don't really think you're being fair towards the people who have issues with the film. You're basically playing the same song and dance you did with the ScarJo trans movie, and it's really disheartening to see you act like this.

I'm not gonna speak for everyone who is upset over this, but at least when it comes to Claire, who is in fact a Latina, I think she has the right to be upset. This is her culture, and she doesn't experience her culture through a lot of mainstream Hollywood films, so the idea that a movie based on a folklore legend from her own country has a Caucasian main character is a little bit disheartening for her, and she has the right to be upset about that.

Now it's true that the film isn't required to have a Hispanic lead as its character, but for a film based on a Mexican legend, wouldn't it make sense for the film to try and represent that side and have a Hispanic lead playing off of the monster? Just as an example, imagine if Black Panther, a film that seeped in African culture, Afrofuturism, and prided itself on black representation, did not have Chadwick Boseman as its lead, but a character played by Tom Hanks. Sure, the elements that made the film popular would be there, but the idea that a movie all about African culture would not have an actor of African descent be the leading part not only pushes back representation for black actors in being leads in their own movie, but also is disrespectful to the overall culture and would probably make many people of African descent unhappy and angry over the film.

And before you get into the whole "Well actors are just playing characters, they're just acting. Renee Zellwegger isn't British, so why is nobody upset over her playing Bridget Jones?" argument, let me tell you something about Latinos. They face oppression not just in political systems, but also in the film industry. White Europeans, or people of a European nationality do not face oppression. Latinos do, largely on the fact they have been marginalized for decades and because of systemic racism that holds them back from getting a lot of the same opportunities as white people do.

As an example, nowadays, there are several white actors that continuously get headline roles, from Leo to Pitt to Cooper to Bullock to Streep to Hanks to Cruise to McCarthy to Damon. When it comes to Latinos getting headline roles...well, Jennifer Lopez can still get some starring roles...Eugenio Derbez produces and stars in his own movies and has a niche fanbase that goes to see his movies a lot...and that's about it. If you want to be generous, there are actors like Benjamin Bratt, Salma Hayek and Edward James Olmos, but you don't see them in the front of the movie poster or get top billing all that much, at least in 2018. Hispanic representation in film is a major problem, to the point where a film about Mexican culture isn't having Mexican or at the very least Latino actors being the lead in these stories.

And before you go off about how "Well, there's not a lot of Latino actors that can lead a film" there in lies the problem. The Hollywood system, as much as it has tried to make up for its lack of diversity in the past, still hasn't offered a lot of opportunities for Latino actors, and this film would have been a great opportunity. Disregarding the cultural authenticity, this isn't a film that really needed a major actor headlining the film. The film's main pull is the titular monster, as well as James Wan as a producer. This already has so much going for it, so why not give the lead role to a woman who is a part of a historically underrepresented group, and have her represent a significant part of her own culture? And don't even bother trying to argue that Linda Cardellini is any big name. If the producers were able to give the lead role to an actress whose most famous film roles are Velma from Scooby-Doo and Mrs. Jeremy Renner in Age of Ultron, I think they can pass the same role to someone like Gina Rodriguez.

I'm not trying to say that this movie would automatically be better with a Latina replacing Cardellini. I don't even care about this movie whatsoever, and I probably wouldn't care about this movie regardless of who was cast. But if you're seriously gonna ignore the systemic racism Hollywood has, particularly with Hispanic actors, and think that chastising people for having issues with this film's casting is okay, especially when some of the people complaining are people who grew up with this culture, then quite honestly, you're being exceedingly disrespectful, pretty insensitive, and a little bit racist. I'm sure you didn't mean to come off that way, but that's how you're acting right now. Sorry.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, FantasticBeasts said:

I usually have problems with all those SJW fights when it comes to casting (a similar case that had me in complete disagreement was people fuming about straight actors playing gay roles) but in this case I think I agree that it could have been better for everyone to cast a latino as the lead.

I think we can all agree there's a big difference between playing a different sexual orientation and playing a different race.

• Like 3