grim22

The Curse of La Llorona | April 19 2019 | WB/New Line | James Wan producing

1 hour ago, LouisianaArkansasGeorgia said:

Eva Mendez, Jennifer Lopez, Salma Hayek, Eva Longoria, Patricia Velazquez, Michelle Rodriguez, Lauren Velez, Dania Ramirez, America Ferrara...

That is Patricia Velazquez as the other mom. No idea why she's not the lead. Literally no one is coming to see a film just because Linda Cardellini is in it. Also her character is named Anna Garcia. I'm guessing Garcia is her married name. Still, it's weird the lead is not Hispanic for this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Koalablanc said:

I wish the setting for this was more like a traditional South/central American colony. 

Yeah I don't see the point of having it set in Los Angeles. I guess it is supposed to tie into the Conjuring Universe somehow.

2 hours ago, Koalablanc said:

I wish the setting for this was more like a traditional South/central American colony. 

It would do gangbusters. Social media reactions in Chile seem strong anyway, but this whole thing feels like a missed opportunity. Latin America was like 30% of the total OS gross of The Nun. 

1 hour ago, Amorphous said:

Damn. Reviews coming out are scathing. Some even saying it's worse than The Nun.

The Conjuring 3 just might be in trouble.

Hmm, I just looked at Twitter (it’s trending just now) but I can’t see any of the scathing reviews? Can you share? 

I see a lot of “it’s ok” or “meh”, but none scathing ?

Edited by Krissykins

26 minutes ago, TMP said:

WB’s first big horror under performer in a while.

Feel like Annabelle should clear $100m dom though, if only because test screenings for that went well

Wait, has it already opened somewhere or is it just your prediction that it’ll under perform? 

That first sentence is confusing. 

18 minutes ago, CaptainJackSparrow said:

Only two reviews so far, maybe others will release Monday? I mean they have a few weeks, but still.

There are like 5-6 at the moment. Most of the praise seems to be going towards the directing. The script, on the other hand, isn't getting good reception.

Btw, the writers of this movie also wrote Five Feet Apart which is releasing this weekend.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

There are like 5-6 at the moment. Most of the praise seems to be going towards the directing. The script, on the other hand, isn't getting good reception.

Btw, the writers of this movie also wrote Five Feet Apart which is releasing this weekend.

Oh yeah, I meant on Rotten Tomatoes. Maybe a lot of critics were not interested in attending or already are out of SXSW?

43 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

the directing looks very Wan-ish. I like that, since Wan is able to turn even mediocre scripts (something like Insidious of even dare I say it The Conjuring) into GREAT horror movies. Not saying the Conjuring script is bad, but it's something like Titanic, where the script is certainly serviceable, but is outshined by the directing. 

2 minutes ago, DAJK said:

the directing looks very Wan-ish. I like that, since Wan is able to turn even mediocre scripts (something like Insidious of even dare I say it The Conjuring) into GREAT horror movies. Not saying the Conjuring script is bad, but it's something like Titanic, where the script is certainly serviceable, but is outshined by the directing. 

David F. Sandberg made Annabelle 2 enjoyable, despite that having imo a terrible script from Gary Dauberman. Dauberman also wrote the Nun...

Which makes me a bit concerned for IT 2, since he's writing that too, and Annabelle 3, which he's writing and directing. Yeah, I know he wrote the first It too, but I don't know how much was him and how much was Fukunaga.