grim22

The Curse of La Llorona | April 19 2019 | WB/New Line | James Wan producing

I always assumed this would be the case the second I saw this actor was in it, again as a priest and looking identical to the character he played in the first Annabelle.

v1.bjsyMTM3MDU2O2o7MTgwMjQ7MTIwMDsyMDQ4O

Not sure how I feel about it though. Only reason I had even a mild interest to see what this would be all about is because of Chaves directing Conjuring 3.

6 minutes ago, TMP said:

David F. Sandberg made Annabelle 2 enjoyable, despite that having imo a terrible script from Gary Dauberman. Dauberman also wrote the Nun...

Which makes me a bit concerned for IT 2, since he's writing that too, and Annabelle 3, which he's writing and directing. Yeah, I know he wrote the first It too, but I don't know how much was him and how much was Fukunaga.

Annabelle 3 I'm excited for regardless of who's directing simply because Farmiga and Wilson are back, and that to me makes it a Conjuring installment rather than a spin-off. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lucas said:

I always assumed this would be the case the second I saw this actor was in it, again as a priest and looking identical to the character he played in the first Annabelle.

v1.bjsyMTM3MDU2O2o7MTgwMjQ7MTIwMDsyMDQ4O

Not sure how I feel about it though. Only reason I had even a mild interest to see what this would be all about is because of Chaves directing Conjuring 3.

Is this a spoiler? Cause dammit if it is, that's really disappointing that I heard about it prior to the film's release. I just assumed the style was in vein of the Conjuring movies, but it actually being connected would have been a nice twist. Seems like a weird marketing technique to hide it, but damn that would have been cool to experience. 

1 hour ago, DAJK said:

Is this a spoiler? Cause dammit if it is, that's really disappointing that I heard about it prior to the film's release. I just assumed the style was in vein of the Conjuring movies, but it actually being connected would have been a nice twist. Seems like a weird marketing technique to hide it, but damn that would have been cool to experience. 

It was announced at SXSW so I'm assuming they didn't care.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

50% 6.27 average rating after 6 reviews and 42 on MetaCritic after 4. Not really pretty but at least there's praise being thrown Chaves' way... please don't fuck up Conjuring 3.

Edited by Lucas

42% at RT.

I can't believe how little hype there's for this movie, I remember when it was announced, people thought it would break out a la TC1, and now it will be lucky if it reaches the OW of TC on its total.

Warner did everything wrong since day one, starting with that stupid cast controversial which certainly brought unnecessary bad talk to the movie, following with these bad trailers, and finishing with their desperate attempt at throwing it into the TCU, as if the Universe doesn't already have a some stinks hurting its potential.

I can't believe they're giving the direction of TC3 to this guy, his direction isn't even being praised. Wtf is wrong with this studio? They're trying to sabotage one of their biggest franchises? 

It's so frustrating, especially because if people dislikes this movie, there will be two bad received TCU movies on a row which will certainly hurt Annabelle: Comes Home.

6 hours ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

42% at RT.

I can't believe how little hype there's for this movie, I remember when it was announced, people thought it would break out a la TC1, and now it will be lucky if it reaches the OW of TC on its total.

Warner did everything wrong since day one, starting with that stupid cast controversial which certainly brought unnecessary bad talk to the movie, following with these bad trailers, and finishing with their desperate attempt at throwing it into the TCU, as if the Universe doesn't already have a some stinks hurting its potential.

I can't believe they're giving the direction of TC3 to this guy, his direction isn't even being praised. Wtf is wrong with this studio? They're trying to sabotage one of their biggest franchises? 

It's so frustrating, especially because if people dislikes this movie, there will be two bad received TCU movies on a row which will certainly hurt Annabelle: Comes Home.

Wan liked his directing, so I think his good word was what got him the gig (Wan's a producer on the series so I imagine he has some pull). From the reviews I've been reading, the problem with this movie is the script rather than the directing. Still, WB should have done a bit more on marketing for this as even if it is doomed to have a 2.0 multi or less, they could have at least had it open with 25-30M. As it stands, a high teens or 20M opening and 40M finish is the best it can hope for. I guess WB made the right choice not explicitly tying this into their franchise, since at least now it won't tarnish the rest of the series. 

Plus, I have a feeling Annabelle will be another 100+ domestic, 300+ worldwide hit this summer. 

15 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Wan liked his directing, so I think his good word was what got him the gig (Wan's a producer on the series so I imagine he has some pull). From the reviews I've been reading, the problem with this movie is the script rather than the directing. Still, WB should have done a bit more on marketing for this as even if it is doomed to have a 2.0 multi or less, they could have at least had it open with 25-30M. As it stands, a high teens or 20M opening and 40M finish is the best it can hope for. I guess WB made the right choice not explicitly tying this into their franchise, since at least now it won't tarnish the rest of the series. 

Plus, I have a feeling Annabelle will be another 100+ domestic, 300+ worldwide hit this summer. 

Yeh same, maybe not $100m domestic with Childs Play having a small audience grab and it being a part 3. But the addition of the Warrens could help a little. 

Edited by Krissykins

6 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Yeh same, maybe not $100m domestic with Childs Play having a small audience grab and it being a part 3. But the addition of the Warrens could help a little. 

I fully believe Annabelle 3 will play like a Conjuring 3 given the Warrens' involvement. Plus, I highly doubt Child's Play will be a major player (15M opening, 30M total). It will be a total internet-driven movie. 

16 hours ago, DAJK said:

James Wan isn't reliable as producer, look at that pile of shit called Demonic that he proudly produced as evidence of this. He's only interested in easy money.

Also, I don't think he still cares for this franchise at all, now that he's busy doing these Funny Book movies.

Annabelle: Creation's script were bad too, movie managed to be good because Sandberg elevated it, that's what good directors do, they save trash scripts. If Chavez failed to do this, then he's not reliable. Plus, it's not like this series is known for great scripts, they're all as formulaic as it's possible, it's always the talented direction that produces solid movies.

I hate they connected it to TCU, it's only going to hurt the goodwill of the franchise even more.

16 hours ago, DAJK said:

I fully believe Annabelle 3 will play like a Conjuring 3 given the Warrens' involvement. Plus, I highly doubt Child's Play will be a major player (15M opening, 30M total). It will be a total internet-driven movie. 

Yeh I don’t think Child’s Play will be big but having another killer doll movie 7 days later is a bit much lol.

About the Warrens involvement though, Annabelle Creation grossed the same domestically as The Conjuring 2 ($102m). 

So I don’t see it increasing much based on that alone. 

16 hours ago, DAJK said:

You souldn't doubt evil dolls.

I dont know how culturally different are US Latinos, but isn't Easter a really bad release date for this?

Or are they banking on many off-days here in Latin America this week? Either way it does sound a bit absurd thinking Latinos want to watch a horror movie on Easter (perhaps I'm completely wrong)