grim22

The Curse of La Llorona | April 19 2019 | WB/New Line | James Wan producing

1 hour ago, FantasticBeasts said:

I usually have problems with all those SJW fights when it comes to casting (a similar case that had me in complete disagreement was people fuming about straight actors playing gay roles) but in this case I think I agree that it could have been better for everyone to cast a latino as the lead.

I'm right there with you about the sexuality debate - it doesn't really matter what sexuality the actor really is, regardless of if it's a straight person doing straight, straight doing gay, gay doing gay, gay doing straight, straight doing bi, whatever it is, because acting has you portray someone whose personality and psychology traits differ from you no matter what. When it comes to ethnicity and ethnicity-related culture, however, that's just not something that an actor foreign to the culture represented in a certain film can accurately replicate, nor should he try to. I like to believe that my opinion has nothing to do with "dem SJW's coming to 'save the world'" (which sounds like something that ego-stroking and conservative straight white guys would say, and that's coming from a straight white guy myself), it's just something that should be second nature and yet there are still present problems with dealing with it because of the Hollywood that DW Griffith's Birth Of A Nation laid the foundation for in the early 20th century.

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 1

I'm the furthest thing from an SJW but there are certain stories that are ingrained into a particular culture.   And those stories should be told by those in that culture  who can give a voice the best to that story.

I'll flip it the other way.   If I'm watching a story about vikings, I want to name some Nordic looking faces on the screen.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DAR said:

I'm the furthest thing from an SJW, but there are certain stories that are ingrained into a particular culture. And those stories should be told by those in that culture who can give a voice the best to that story.

I'll flip it the other way. If I'm watching a story about vikings, I want to name some Nordic looking faces on the screen.

There were dark-skinned Vikings though, babe.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Frozen said:

I agree, she should be a Latino. 

But I think in the end, Latinos will be glad they had nothing to do with what looks like yet another Conjuring Universe spin-off stinker. 

Latinos can speak for themselves, hun.

And I can say I would be happy with any kind of representation.

La Llorona could have been a significant cultural event for the community, and instead, it has become exploited by white people to cater to white audiences.

• Like 1

Ok... people need to settle down.

Baumer is allowed to have an opinion... you all are allowed to disagree.  Unless we get into personal assaults both opinions are fine to state.

I'm not even seeing the issue.

La Llorona is played by Marisol Ramirez  who certainly is Latin.

The ethnicity of who La Llorona haunts it totally dependent on the plot and setting.  If it doesn't matter to the plot and/or story then its up to the producers to cast the  actors that best fit the part regardless of ethnicity.

• Like 1

I’ll just say that I think it’s racist to cast a non-Latin for a Latin role. 

You obviously would not cast a white person as MLK, nor a non-white person as Lincoln (unless you’re doing a Hamilton type show).

While this is a fictional story, it’s a fictional Hispanic story, that takes place in Mexico.  It’s ignorant at best to cast a white person as the lead.  

There arent enough opportunities for Hispanic actors as it is, not even giving them an opportunity to play a role meant for a Hispanic is ridiculous.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, PANDA said:

I’ll just say that I think it’s racist to cast a non-Latin for a Latin role. 

You obviously would not cast a white person as MLK, nor a non-white person as Lincoln (unless you’re doing a Hamilton type show).

While this is a fictional story, it’s a fictional Hispanic story, that takes place in Mexico.  It’s ignorant at best to cast a white person as the lead.  

There arent enough opportunities for Hispanic actors as it is, not even giving them an opportunity to play a role meant for a Hispanic is ridiculous.

It's not a Latin role .  It doesn't take place in Mexico... it takes place in LA

La Llorona  herself is a Latin role and they  cast a Latino for it.  

• Thanks 1

• Community Manager
21 hours ago, TombRaider said:

thank you. his position should be removed ASAP.

20 hours ago, Claire of Themyscira said:

Yikes, just read through all of the posts Baumer made in this thread...

This y'all's mod?

NmVwWpb.gif

I am no stranger to seeing harmful and wrong opinions of Baumer or other mods like this, but the fact it went this far...

I'm sorry you guys got offended but Baumer is actually a pretty great guy both on the forums and off the forums. 

I don't see anything wrong with his opinion. Frankly I don't care that the lead actress is Italian. The movie has other roles that went to Hispanics including La Llorona herself. Not to mention it has a Hispanic director. The movie has already created more opportunities for Hispanics than most movies do. But here you are all mad that in a movie set in a diverse city in Los Angeles one of the roles went to an Italian actress.

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

I'm sorry you guys got offended but Baumer is actually a pretty great guy both on the forums and off the forums. 

I don't see anything wrong with his opinion. Frankly I don't care that the lead actress is Italian. The movie has other roles that went to Hispanics including La Llorona herself. Not to mention it has a Hispanic director. The movie has already created more opportunities for Hispanics than most movies do. But here you are all mad that in a movie set in a diverse city in Los Angeles one of the roles went to an Italian actress.

Let's move black panther to chicago, and the whole movie be around a white person. Well, director is black, supporting cast is black. So much good for black actors!

• Like 2