SLAM!

Death of a Nation | Quality Flix | August 3rd, 2018 | right-wing documentary to release in over 1,000 theaters

11 hours ago, DAJK said:

Is it just me or should 2 opposing political parties be working together the best aspects of both their ideas to make a country the best it can be? Rather than duking it out and fighting thinking the other is the devil?

I mean, the big problem is that the extremists have more power than they ever should. D’Souza is either completely idiotic and stupid, or a genuinely wretched guy. 

The US only has one political party. Whatever the Republican party is now, it's not a political party. They exist solely to get paid by donors to get tax cuts for said donors, then retire and get jobs as lobbyists for the next generation of "Republicans".

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Truckasaurus said:

I'll never forget that one movie where he reenacts his own imprisonment and all the inmates want to hang out with him and talk about America and crime and shit. 

"So I went to jail because I spoke out against the president. Also committed fraud. But mostly because I was against the president."

15 hours ago, dudalb said:

Thing is this film looks so cheap...with those drop dead funny Lincoln and Hitler reenactments....with 3 Million it could still make a profit....

Yeh but $3m from over 1,000 locations isn’t a hit. 

15 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

On OW or total? Because it's making at least 3x that for its total (unfortunately :gold: )

OW

It s kinda funny how the right-left debate has been turned in the western world.

Once a upon a time, the left cared about people in true economic hardships, now they have found new "clients", new opressed.

Edited by The Futurist

I'm waiting for this one to follow in Gotti's footsteps and run an ad reading something along the lines of: "Who are you going to trust: the trolls of the fake news media, or the man with the presidential pardon?"

I'm still surprised and glad that my area didn't bother with taking a chance on it.

21 minutes ago, Chewy said:

why is this thread always at the top when i visit this site, a pox on all of you

It basically turned into an extension of the politics thread, to the surprise of no one.

It's a bit of a pity that the BOM forums aren't archived. If a thread for a movie that will inevitably be just a blip on the box office radar can get this far (and remain mostly civil), I'd like to see how long and heated things must have gotten for Fahrenheit 9/11 when it opened at #1 in 2004.

20 hours ago, DAJK said:

Is it just me or should 2 opposing political parties be working together the best aspects of both their ideas to make a country the best it can be? Rather than duking it out and fighting thinking the other is the devil?

I mean, the big problem is that the extremists have more power than they ever should. D’Souza is either completely idiotic and stupid, or a genuinely wretched guy. 

In a perfect world, yeah, but last time I looked this was not a perfect world.

I am no big fan of the Democratic Party,but compared to the GOP under Trump......

THis is not politics as usual. Trump poses a clear and present danger to Democracy in the US. He is man who clearly wants to be dictator. If people don't wake up to this face, and understand this not just another Dems vs GOP argument, this country is doomed.

20 hours ago, filmlover said:

The fact that there are people out there who will actually part with the 12 precious and hard-earned dollars they made to see this nonsense is a truly depressing thought.

"A fool and his money are soon parted"

Benjamin Franklin.

15 hours ago, filmlover said:

This thread was missing a The Futurist take. Glad that's all cleared up!

And it takes the form of praise for an Authoritarian Dictatorship. Interesting .

I don't think China should be a model for anybody to follow, given the severe limits to individual rights the Chinese people have.

One of the reasons the left can be just as bad as the right is that the militant left is willing to throw away individual rifhts in pursuit of "the perfect socirty".

Just now, dudalb said:

I don't think China should be a model for anybody to follow, given the severe limits to individual rights the Chinese people have.

Even in term of the best economic model of the last 40 year's.....

http://www.nationmaster.com/country-info/stats/Cost-of-living/Local-purchasing-power

In 2014 they were still out of the top 60 for their citizen buying power, between Bosnia and Lybia, while the US was at the top of the main country between Swiss and Qatar,

Did their economic model did a better result in quality of life growth in the last 40 year's than Norway, Canada, Danemark, Swiss or Sweden ?

15 minutes ago, Webslinger said:

It basically turned into an extension of the politics thread, to the surprise of no one.

It's a bit of a pity that the BOM forums aren't archived. If a thread for a movie that will inevitably be just a blip on the box office radar can get this far (and remain mostly civil), I'd like to see how long and heated things must have gotten for Fahrenheit 9/11 when it opened at #1 in 2004.

You have to expect a thread about a movie that is pretty much political propaganda to get political. If that upsets you, just don't go to the thread.

I don't like some of the WTF insertion of politics into a thread about a movie that obviously has no political message,but if a movie had a poltical message of political implications, you have to expect politics to seep into a thread.

Life is going to get very tough for people who don't like politics being discussed.  We are living in a time when entertainment is being increasingly politicized, and don't expect that to change any times soon.

11 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Did their economic model did a better result in quality of life growth in the last 40 year's than Norway, Canada, Danemark, Swiss or Sweden ?

Well, obviously it has; because it started from so low after World War II. Life has improved immensely, much faster than in those already rich countries.

Just one example, life expectancy.

US: 70 years

China: 46 years

US: 79 years

China: 76 years

China overtakes U.S. for healthy lifespan: WHO data

GENEVA (Reuters) - China has overtaken the United States in healthy life expectancy at birth for the first time, according to World Health Organization data.

Chinese newborns can look forward to 68.7 years of healthy life ahead of them, compared with 68.5 years for American babies, the data - which relates to 2016 - showed.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-lifespan/china-overtakes-u-s-for-healthy-lifespan-who-data-idUSKCN1IV15L

Edited by MrGlass2
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

Well, obviously it has; because it started from so low after World War II. Life has improved immensely, much faster than in those already rich countries.

Yeah in growth it must have (But South Korea/Japan/Scottland and other place that didn't follow their model have had impressive economic explosion also that include 19th century US/UK/etc..., my parents had Unicef box to get japan some money when they were young), but it is still far away in absolute.

Edited by Barnack

20 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

Just one example, life expectancy.

US: 70 years

China: 46 years

US: 79 years

China: 76 years

China overtakes U.S. for healthy lifespan: WHO data

GENEVA (Reuters) - China has overtaken the United States in healthy life expectancy at birth for the first time, according to World Health Organization data.

Chinese newborns can look forward to 68.7 years of healthy life ahead of them, compared with 68.5 years for American babies, the data - which relates to 2016 - showed.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-lifespan/china-overtakes-u-s-for-healthy-lifespan-who-data-idUSKCN1IV15L

That smacks a litte too bit of  "Mussolina is a ruthless,bloody dictator, but he made the trains run on time" argument for me.