NickDisney13

Queen & Slim | Universal | November 27, 2019 | Daniel Kaluuya

https://deadline.com/2018/07/daniel-kaluuya-melina-matsoukas-lena-waithe-james-frey-queen-and-slim-makeready-1202429679/

BREAKING: Makeready has won an auction to finance Queen & Slim, with Oscar-nominated Get Out star Daniel Kaluuya starring and Melina Matsoukas making her feature directing debut. Emmy-winning scribe Lena Waithe wrote the script based on an original idea and treatment by A Million Little Pieces author James Frey. The film will be distributed worldwide by Universal Pictures, with eOne handling theatrical distribution in some offshore territories including UK and Canada. The film has been set to be released in North America November 27, 2019, making this the first green lit picture for Brad Weston’s Makeready that falls under its Universal and eOne deal. Production begins in January.

"Pic is about a black man and black woman on a first date that goes awry after the two are pulled over by a police officer at a traffic stop. They kill the police officer in self-defense and go on the run, rather than turn themselves in."

This sounds pretty good!

32 minutes ago, Avatree said:

Full trailer.

This is the trailer that played in front of my showing of Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. I think this film is one of my most anticipated of the rest of the year.

Edited by SLAM!

I haven't watched the trailer but that's a neat premise, hope this is something that gets an actual push from Universal as this story has a lot of resonance with many people. 

I can imagine it getting some serious media attention if alt-right commentors latch on to it, could get some news stories out of that, which would benefit the film. 

2 minutes ago, SLAM! said:

This is the trailer that played in front of my showing of Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. I think this film is one of my most anticipated of the rest of the year.

I haven't watched the trailer but that's a neat premise, hope this is something that gets an actual push from Universal as this story has a lot of resonance with many people. 

I can imagine it getting some serious media attention if alt-right commentors latch on to it, could get some news stories out of that, which would benefit the film. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Avatree said:

I think if Universal can get a Best Picture win out of Green Book, they can get a Best Picture win out of this one, too. Universal would be smart to pursue that because it would prove that they have versatility in the awards game--pushing both a "conservative" film and a "liberal" film with great success.

I'm a moderate conservative and I'm still excited to see this film. I just took a Criminal Justice class and we talked about how the system is flawed and in need of reform. We also talked about how self defense is a valid plea that one can use; but the system needs to be much more fair and open-minded so that people don't think they need to go on the run if they get into a similar situation as those characters--so that they can plead self-defense and remain free. The tragic part of the film is that going on the run makes the characters look more guilty to the ones who chase after them.

It's like a modern Shakespearean tragedy.

Edited by SLAM!

Green Book did really well in this slot thanks to Academy Awards boost. But this is a completely different film. Saw the trailer at Once Upon A Time In Hollywood, this looks pretty good! It should be a hit with the adults in the holidays.

• Like 1

It looks like a well made and well acted film but I predict Widows numbers at best. Green Book was much more audience friendly film and I anticipate this film will have a depressing ending. I do have some faith that universal can push it for awards though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Curtis1986 said:

Reviews for this are really good

Yeah I've noticed. Studios dropping 2 real quality films this Thanksgiving by the looks of it in Knives Out and Queen & Slim.

Q&S however is getting a pretty small release (1,625 on Wednesday, 1,690 starting Friday). Probably smart. It looks good but not like a crowd pleaser that's poised to break out.