PanaMovie

Shazam! OS Thread - 221.5M OS - 357.8M WW

4 minutes ago, pepsa said:

It's not tracking ahead of Antman in most markets, that would mean it would do over $300m os. Every country that they compare to the first Captain america movie it's behind Antman. 

And ofc it's going to be profitable, it only need $350m WW or so including marketing. 

Doesn't it only mention CA like twice or three times? That's not bad. 

1 hour ago, Thanos Legion said:

Jesus, Deadline is spinning this one hard.

I think they're actually diminishing its success. They didn't even mention the stunning 750K $ 3-day total in Italy, which is 90% above The Predator (2018) and 20% above Mortal Engines.

• Haha 6
  • Astonished 1
  • Sad 1
  • ...wtf 1
  • Knock It Off 1

Should hit 100M for OS OW... (incl. 32M from China).

As for total.. China will finish with 50M or so.  Rest of the markets should get 170-180M (incl Japan that's yet to release). Overall, 400M WW looks a bit difficult at this point, but there is a chance and I hope it gets there.

6 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

Gunning for Spiderverse imo. The curse of the US critically acclaimed, audience loved, small CBM?    

= Worldwide: $374,130,437

Yes but Spiderverse is a animated movie and had crazy great reaction around the world

1 hour ago, RollyCult said:

Doesn't it only mention CA like twice or three times? That's not bad. 

Mentions it by using it's worst markets (like SK) or by using comparisons to local currencies when inflation has raised ticket prices severely in local currencies while exchange rates have plummeted - meaning fewer tickets actually sold and at much lower $ rates

Mexico opened to an excellent Ps 30.1m ($1.6m) on 2,829 screens with a nearly 50% share of the Top 5 films.  These opening day results are ahead of Guardians of the Galaxy by +22%, Ant-Man by +21% and Captain America: First Avenger by +13%.

CA: TFA - (US $1 = 11.713 Mexican Peso) - opened to $8m and finished at $20.22m

Shazam! (US $1 = 19.4279 Mexican Peso)  

Brazil opened to an estimated R$ 2.2m ($564k) on 1,509 screens with over 60% share of the Top 5 films.  These opening day results are coming on par with ANT-MAN and 10% over Guardians of the Galaxy.  Including previews, the running cume is now R$ 3.3m ($848k).

CA:TFA ((US $1 = 1.54815 Brazilian Real) - opened - $6.85m and finished at $20.68m

Shazam!  (US $1 = 3.921 Brazilian Real)

Other comps are using the worst performing markets for AM, GOTC

It's a press release from WB and it's what all studios do during these weekends, pick out the most favorable comps in markets, currency, ranking etc.  But as data and to get actual $ comps you have to look more closely.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Thanos Legion said:

Jesus, Deadline is spinning this one hard.

3 hours ago, TimmyRiggins said:

Why? Because they're

Aehm, just in case you mean my lengthy post...

That was BoxOfficePro !!!!  :D

• Astonished 1

This is the most depressing box office run for me since Blade Runner 2049. Which was in turn the most depressing box office run for me since Edge of Tomorrow.

If WB didn't distribute/advertise any of those three, maybe they would have had a fighting chance. Maybe they'll just stick to making nothing but Aquaman sequels from DC from now on.

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 1

41 minutes ago, TMP said:

This is the most depressing box office run for me since Blade Runner 2049. Which was in turn the most depressing box office run for me since Edge of Tomorrow.

If WB didn't distribute/advertise any of those three, maybe they would have had a fighting chance. Maybe they'll just stick to making nothing but Aquaman sequels from DC from now on.

I agree its a huge bummer. The score sheet for DCEU movies is that Aquaman was the only one that managed to break out hard overseas. Not even Wonder Woman managed to do great numbers overseas. This means that overseas audiences only wants Aquaman style movies from DC. So WB will probably not greenlit movies that are similar to Shazam in the future, but will instead go more for the likes of Aquaman spectacle with poorer dialogue and script in the future. The huge success of Venom oversess was a warning in what kind of movies that are able to break out overseas.

This is a stepback for the DCEU going for more Marvel style appeal overseas and also a stepback for the kind of DCEU movies we will see in the future.

• ...wtf 1

2 minutes ago, LordNox said:

This is a stepback for the DCEU going for more Marvel style appeal overseas and also a stepback for the kind of DCEU movies we will see in the future.

AQUAMAN was closer to a Marvel film than Shazam!, even though quality wise it was worse than a majority of the MCU. Outside of bright lighting, and some desaturated exteriors, it felt way more like an 80's family film than anything in the recent superhero space.

• ...wtf 1

11 minutes ago, TMP said:

AQUAMAN was closer to a Marvel film than Shazam!, even though quality wise it was worse than a majority of the MCU. Outside of bright lighting, and some desaturated exteriors, it felt way more like an 80's family film than anything in the recent superhero space.

Obviously most of the world disagrees with MCU fanboys.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I have a theory regarding the major difference in audience appeal for Shazam domestically and overseas. A difference that led Shazam to get a good A cinemascore in the US but terrible reaction from audiences in many countries. 

The director of Shazam said that he made Shazam from inspiration from classic American 80s hits like the Goonies, Ghostbusters as well as you can find thraces from Donner's Superman in Shazam. All of these movies where very well liked in the US and nostalgia from those movies are big in the US. That means that for many Americans watching Shazam there is major nostalgic reasons for them to connect with the story, music and characters in Shazam.

For overseas audiences who never saw those old movies the major reasons for why Shazam was liked by American audiences suddenly disappear. They don't get any nostalgic pleasures while watching Shazam at all. For them Shazam is only an action less superhero movie with not much going for it compared to all the other superhero movies they have seen the last 10 years.

14 hours ago, LordNox said:

I have a theory regarding the major difference in audience appeal for Shazam domestically and overseas. A difference that led Shazam to get a good A cinemascore in the US but terrible reaction from audiences in many countries. 

The director of Shazam said that he made Shazam from inspiration from classic American 80s hits like the Goonies, Ghostbusters as well as you can find thraces from Donner's Superman in Shazam. All of these movies where very well liked in the US and nostalgia from those movies are big in the US. That means that for many Americans watching Shazam there is major nostalgic reasons for them to connect with the story, music and characters in Shazam.

For overseas audiences who never saw those old movies the major reasons for why Shazam was liked by American audiences suddenly disappear. They don't get any nostalgic pleasures while watching Shazam at all. For them Shazam is only an action less superhero movie with not much going for it compared to all the other superhero movies they have seen the last 10 years.

To call the reaction "terrible" is a massive overreaction. It's just doing the huge number some of us were hoping for, but it's all about CONTEXT. The budget is between 80-100 M, been listed more often at 80, it's doing well, very well. The Goonies is one my favorite films of all time, I'm huge on all those 80s, Spielberg, Amblin, Donner films and it didn't feel that much like it, like Big, for sure, old school but I do not believe that anyone outside of America is not going to get it.

To think overseas audiences didn't see those "old" movies is crazy, and Shazam ! stands firmly on its own, to say it doesn't have much going for it compared to all the other superhero movies in the last 10 years when it is easily one of the freshest, most satisfying superhero films ever made, is just grotesque. Shazam is simply not a very popular character, he just isn't, he doesn't have the name or brand recognition that Batman, WW, Superman, The Flash, Green Lantern and hell a few others have. Until Geoff Johns relaunched it, there hadn't been a Shazam ! comic run for a while (and there aren't that many Shazam/Captain Marvel comics compared to the big ones), the character's appearances are mostly in Young Justice or in other animated shows in a supporting capacity, he's rarely been the lead. 

And there IS action in the film, obviously, the kind of action you can get on such a budget, and it delivers, it's not MOS, it's not BvS, OBVIOUSLY, but it is there and I think it'll be enough to satisfy, except China lol. I don't see what is so American about the film honestly, I can't see it, but maybe I'm too close to it, is it the foster family aspect, the suburbia, the small scale, a kid transforming into a supehrero by saying one word? I don't know, there are a few film references, etc but everyone knows Rocky. We should think of Shazam as DC's Ant Man which it is trailing and even exceeding in several markets overseas. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, raulbalarezo said:

That’s on the lower side of tracking OS

Ya it’s cause initial tracking had China at 15-20 more. Too bad it didn’t connect more there but not much you can do. 

• Like 2