PanaMovie

Shazam! OS Thread - 221.5M OS - 357.8M WW

Shazam! had amassed $126.3m via Warner Bros Pictures International and $193.7m worldwide through the end of Wednesday and is on course to surge past the $200m barrier on Friday. The superhero adaptation starring Zachary Levi is performing well for a film that reportedly cost $100m to produce, excluding marketing spend.

Source : https://www.screendailyhttps://www.screendaily.com/box-office/shazam-looks-to-extend-international-rule-as-hellboy-enters-fray/5138519.article

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Fake said:

So 200M before the weekend begins. Will need to show good holds from here in order to reach 400M. 25M DOM + 40M OS is the minimum required to stay on track.

Good thing there’s not a record breakingly massive movie of the same genre coming it anytime soon 

Sucks, but it’s pretty much what I expected after seeing the drops(scores) from opening day in some of the big overseas markets last week.

200-210m overseas total?maybe a bit more cause of Japan? Someone who is smarter then me and more familiar with the markets can be more clear I’m sure. 

The drop looks big because of China, duh. OS-China last week was 72 M, China crumbled, barely made 10 M there since then. So that's pretty much a 56% drop otherwise OS, nothing catastrophic. 

I still don't see what is so "American" about the film, but there are easy things to make it more appealing overseas for the sequel. Add Black Adam, and I'm sure that would probably be enough, they could also explore the Magic Lands, that would be pretty outlandish. Although we'll see if BA is released first and if they're saving him for his solo film first.

Edited by TimmyRiggins

Overall

Last weekend (OW) - 102.3

This weekend - 35.9

Drop - 64.9%

China

Last  weekend - 30.58

This weekend - 4.78

Drop - 84.37%

Without China

last weekend - 71.72

this weekend - 31.12

drop - 56.6%

I know that the numbers make it seem like a harsh drop but that China drop is making it look way worse than it actually is. For comparison Captain Marvel fell 61.88% with China and 57.21% without China on its 2nd weekend. So Shazam had a slightly better OS-Ch drop. Of course Captain Marvel had a huge rush to see it plus it is much harder to hold better with much higher numbers. But regardless outside of China and South Korea the drop for Shazam is normal.

Captain Marvel is heading for around 700m OS which would be about 2.31 multi from its opening OS weekend. Same legs as that would give Shazam an OS of 235. Assuming around 150m domestic would lead to a final total of 385m Worldwide. But Shazam will have to face Endgame the week after where it could drop upto 60-70%. 

Overall I see around 230m OS (including Japan) for a final. 

Edited by ZeeSoh
I generally prefer to do week to week drop comparison rather than Weekend to weekend because what constitutes a weekend differs from country to country. But since this is only the second weekend so we can only do a weekend to weekend comparison
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 6