baumer

Mission: Impossible - Fallout (2018)

Grade it  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

It's probably the best in the franchise. As a thriller, it's not as adept as the first, and maybe it doesn't lean quite as much into the personal stakes as MI3, but it's suitably ahead in most other aspects. The whole Paris stretch is incredible. The halo jump, the multiple chases in the streets, and the bathroom scene are all edge of your seat stuff, and while the climax doesn't quite reach that high of Paris, it's a more than worthy finale. It's a little long, and the number of who's on who's side will make your head spin a bit, but it's a fairly breezy 2hr and 27 minutes unlike other recent spy films of similar length.

Series ranking: 2 > 6 > 1 > 5 > 4 > 3 > 2

I could flip a coin on 1 and 5 tbh. I just love Ilsa so much.

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 8

15 hours ago, MrPink said:

It's probably the best in the franchise. As a thriller, it's not as adept as the first, and maybe it doesn't lean quite as much into the personal stakes as MI3, but it's suitably ahead in most other aspects. The whole Paris stretch is incredible. The halo jump, the multiple chases in the streets, and the bathroom scene are all edge of your seat stuff, and while the climax doesn't quite reach that high of Paris, it's a more than worthy finale. It's a little long, and the number of who's on who's side will make your head spin a bit, but it's a fairly breezy 2hr and 27 minutes unlike other recent spy films of similar length.

Series ranking: 2 > 6 > 1 > 5 > 4 > 3 > 2

I could flip a coin on 1 and 5 tbh. I just love Ilsa so much.

2 has been mentioned twice?

• Like 1

On 7/25/2018 at 4:54 AM, MrPink said:

2 is the best and worst of the franchise. :sparta:

So trueee....i love and hate this movie but my love for the 2nd part offsets the hatred :D 

Even though 2nd part seems to be the weakest link....it does one good thing 2hrs of amazing entertainment which matters the most!!! 

16 minutes ago, Jay Beezy said:

Making the mock room was an epic callback to the first one.

Speaking of the first one, if I'm not mistaken, White Widow said her mother was named Max. At least she referred to a Max as a she.

Yeah I think Vanessa Kirby let slip herself that Max from 1 is her mother.

• Like 1

Great action,  thoroughly entertaining and fast paced movie. Tom Cruise is fantastic. The best part of the movie is that it makes you care about the characters. Loved it. 

The last 3 MI movies have been fantastic. 

Rating: A+

• Like 1

Loved it. In fact it betters Rogue Nation in every aspect. Chris seems to have taken MI series to peaks with this in terms of action sequences and set pieces. 

Amazing Cast filled with memorable performances. Tom Cruise is fucking insane...those stunts were truly amazing. Truly the best. 

Loved the scene where Julia meets Ethan for the first time (For real) and then  :( 

Must watch with family. Summer Blockbuster. My screening was filled with good number of families surprisingly! 

9/10

• Like 1

Despite the complete absurdity of Cavill's character working for the CIA, the film is very entertaining, especially after the first 30 minutes or so. While I was not as impressed as others with the skydiving scene (although the storm was a nice touch), the chase scenes through Paris were outstanding. I also appreciated the character development for Monaghan's character given how tantalizing it must have been to keep that door open with her. I must also pass along some praise to the editing team who made the film's trailers which convinced me the bathroom fight scene was between Cruise and Cavill and maybe a couple of Cavill's henchmen. I was pleasantly surprised by that not being the case.

The story was fine but irrelevant for the most part. However, the cinematography, stunt work, sound and score were sensational. There will undoubtedly be a seventh installment of this franchise in a few years and I will gladly attend another opening day showing if that film is even partially as fun and thrilling as this one. I need to let it marinate for a few days; but it is possible Fallout has surpassed Black Panther as my #2 film of the year.

9/10

Edited by LonePirate
  • Like 3

The movie’s really good, probably the best of the series.  I’ll agree that the peak movie is all of the Paris stuff.

For a movie called Fallout, I was expecting a little bit more personal fallout.  Wish we could have gotten more of Vanessa Kirby, her interactions with Cruise were really fun.

The action is clean and gorgeous to look at.  Definitely the highlight of the movie.

The film often verged in seriousness and then took a detour never wanting to commit to the fallout it teased.  I heard Dark Knight comparisons, but what makes TDK much better than Fallout is the fact it doesn’t follow all the tropes or scraping by with no consequence.

Really enjoyable movie though, was just frustrating because it was teetering on the edge of being great. B+

• Like 2

Also, can we ban "Countdown to Explosion Timers" in action movies?  The trope is a boring way to create artificial stakes, especially with the obvious "Whew, saved the day with 1 second to go!"

If everything in a movie is "pulled it off just in time", it really removes the impact when those crazy just in time stunts are pulled off, as there's absolutely no tension on whether or not the hero will pull it off.

I would have been more lenient on that too if the movie wasn't going for a serious, things are about to go south, tone while at the same time never actually letting the shit hit the fan.

• Like 1

Ok I'm just gonna go ahead and say this

Boy, the bathroom fight!! hnnnggggg

Finally a Hollywood fight done right! The last one was in 2003 with The Matrix Reloaded for god's sake! (Mad Max Fury Road doesn't count, it's like a continuous car chase for 2 hours :ph34r:)

Why does it work so well? Well this should come as a surprise to no one, but when you film a fight for 4 weeks, and it's brilliantly choreographed, what you get is a fucking classic! They went to the Hong Kong school of shooting fights -- schedule 4 days of filming for it, then realize it's taking weeks and just go "to hell with it, we want to make it good, it's gonna be good" and then produce a classic. It also helps that Christopher McQuarrie has got a great sense of geography when filming the action, which is a major component of making chaotic action scenes actually work.

Rest of the movie rocks btw, one of the best pure action movies to ever come out of Hollywood, at least in recent years that's for sure. The whole Paris sequence is mesmerizing.

I'm so, so glad the days of Paul Greengrass nauseating shaky cam nonsense seem to be mostly behind us.

Now if only the frenetic over-editing could go as well I'd be on cloud nine.

My rating: ★★★★½

Edited by Daxtreme
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The best part of the movie is how it lets you see all of the action going down.  Weirdly, that’s not so common place in the action genre.

Stuff like the bathroom fight scene are top notch.  I just wish the movie had more substance to go with the top tier style.

• Like 2

I thought the first 15 minutes were a little off.  The next hour is really good and the last hour is freakin incredible.  The helicopter stuff juxtaposed with Ilsa and Benji trying to stay alive and defuse another bomb and Ving and Julia trying to defuse the other bomb, simply breath-taking!

9/10

• Like 3

I'm really glad you liked the bathroom fight @Daxtreme.  It reminded me of the True Lies bathroom fight, but better of course.  And I swear when I was watching it, I thought to myself, "hmmmm, I wonder if Dax will like this scene."  :qotd:

• Haha 1

Ha!

While watching it I thought "fucking finally someone in Hollywood who gets it". I'm pretty sure they must have studied fights from Asia, the fight coordinator is an unknown German who made the last Mission Impossible, maybe in-between? Hard to tell. Some rumors say that Tom Cruise choreographed the fight himself, maybe he had a stroke of genius. The actors brought their top physical game to this scene. Just a very well-directed, staged, and filmed fight overall that looks clean, but feels raw.

Also, watching Tom Cruise jump over that building in Paris (and hurting his ankle), it instantly brought me back to Jackie Chan doing the exact same kind of jump in Rumble in the Bronx. Only difference was that Jackie never wore any wires for protection -- ironically, Tom Cruise was held by a wire and still hurt himself!

They're both madmen. After this movie I think I can safely say that Tom Cruise is America's Jackie Chan, just a little bit less reckless in doing so (but still totally crazy).

In fact, Tom Cruise is somehow getting better with age? :winomg:

• Like 2

Somehow I would imagine that there are less insurance regulations for Honk Kong or Chinese films.  The insurance on a Mission film would be high and they would absolutely demand that Cruise wear a wire.  If he were to hurt himself really bad or worse, die, and he wasn't wearing the proper safety gear, the lawsuits would sink someone.

• Like 1