baumer

Mission: Impossible - Fallout (2018)

Grade it  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

35 minutes ago, baumer said:

Somehow I would imagine that there are less insurance regulations for Honk Kong or Chinese films.  The insurance on a Mission film would be high and they would absolutely demand that Cruise wear a wire.  If he were to hurt himself really bad or worse, die, and he wasn't wearing the proper safety gear, the lawsuits would sink someone.

Yes.

They interviewed Hong Kong actress and well-known B-movie action star Moon Lee on this subject (she lives in the US now), and she said it was totally crazy and dangerous filming in Hong Kong during these days, and it shouldn't be done again. But she enjoyed it so much, she misses those days. The "Golden Age" as it were, where stuntmen and even lead actors regularly put their lives on the line for entertainment. She herself ended up in the hospital for several months with third-degree burns and returned to filming ASAP when she came out.

Case in point, a stunt sequence starring Moon Lee: 

I mean... there is NO WAY a stunt like this could be filmed today. Impossible. A 4 years old kid dangling from a car without protection? Absolute joke!

For us viewers, it's really a case of, "damn I love watching this, but it's so dangerous, I'm not sure if people should do it... but since they do it anyway, might as well enjoy it?" haha

Which is pretty much what we're doing watching Fallout. Admiring Tom Cruise for putting his life on the line AKA Hitchcock's theory of getting immense satisfaction out of watching someone being an absolute ace at their job (both on- and off- screen).

Which is why I think Tom Cruise might have some problems filming another movie like this in the future. A mere injury cost $70M, imagine worse? And you can be sure that the studio are imagining worse, all the time.

Edited by Daxtreme
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Daxtreme said:

Ha!

While watching it I thought "fucking finally someone in Hollywood who gets it". I'm pretty sure they must have studied fights from Asia, the fight coordinator is an unknown German who made the last Mission Impossible, maybe in-between? Hard to tell. Some rumors say that Tom Cruise choreographed the fight himself, maybe he had a stroke of genius. The actors brought their top physical game to this scene. Just a very well-directed, staged, and filmed fight overall that looks clean, but feels raw.

Also, watching Tom Cruise jump over that building in Paris (and hurting his ankle), it instantly brought me back to Jackie Chan doing the exact same kind of jump in Rumble in the Bronx. Only difference was that Jackie never wore any wires for protection -- ironically, Tom Cruise was held by a wire and still hurt himself!

They're both madmen. After this movie I think I can safely say that Tom Cruise is America's Jackie Chan, just a little bit less reckless in doing so (but still totally crazy).

In fact, Tom Cruise is somehow getting better with age? :winomg:

His Scientology is obviously working, looks younger than he did 20 years ago.

• Haha 2

These guys take care of their skin, eat the right foods, get the right amount of rest and use the right beauty and anti-ageing products.  I can guarantee you he is not using Oil of Olay.    

• Like 2

2 1/2 hours really flew by. I was suprised when the movie ended. 

It's not as good as the last two, though. 

What it's missing is all that Bond stuff that's made the MI series better than Bond: exotic locales, sand dunes, fancy hotels, swimming pools, etc. This movie was all so grey and dour and darkly lit. Not true of the last two. 

The women didn't have enough to do here. Also not true of the last two (or at least not the last one). 

The action setpieces weren't quite as memorable as the ones in the last two films, with the exception of the gigantic last setpieces. 

But all in all a good tme. B+

20 hours ago, Pandamia! said:

Also, can we ban "Countdown to Explosion Timers" in action movies?  The trope is a boring way to create artificial stakes, especially with the obvious "Whew, saved the day with 1 second to go!"

This was legit the moment when the whole thing fell apart for me. The second the helicopters crashed and we still had that countdown, I was like Oh C’MON!

I Thought this was very solid but rather shallow. I was way more invested in my “is that Real or a Soundstage” game than the movie. The individual action sequences were CRAZY TENSE OH WOW, but the movie still felt long. 2:15 would’ve been a much better run time. 

I also thought the storyline was the ex-wife and the female agent was super confusing. They looked alike. I spent half the time in Paris wondering which was which. Bad casting. I also thought the “I am okay with my new life, other agent walks in as Love interest and it’s all okay” scene was SUPER WEIRD.

Still fun! everything in Paris was a DELIGHT. Kirby’s character was fun! Angela Bassett is an Angel.  Superman being a dick was fun (even if they spoiled that in the press footage).  And Tom Cruise is INSANE.

Definitely would recommend. We saw it in 2D IMAX, and my audience was SO TENSE around me. That was fun! Yay! Fun!

• Like 4

10 hours ago, captainwondyful said:

This was legit the moment when the whole thing fell apart for me. The second the helicopters crashed and we still had that countdown, I was like Oh C’MON!

I Thought this was very solid but rather shallow. I was way more invested in my “is that Real or a Soundstage” game than the movie. The individual action sequences were CRAZY TENSE OH WOW, but the movie still felt long. 2:15 would’ve been a much better run time. 

I also thought the storyline was the ex-wife and the female agent was super confusing. They looked alike. I spent half the time in Paris wondering which was which. Bad casting. I also thought the “I am okay with my new life, other agent walks in as Love interest and it’s all okay” scene was SUPER WEIRD.

Still fun! everything in Paris was a DELIGHT. Kirby’s character was fun! Angela Bassett is an Angel.  Superman being a dick was fun (even if they spoiled that in the press footage).  And Tom Cruise is INSANE.

Definitely would recommend. We saw it in 2D IMAX, and my audience was SO TENSE around me. That was fun! Yay! Fun!

Pretty much agree with this.  It’s a really fun movie that is technically brilliant, but it is held back from being great because it’s rather shallow.

• Like 3

Surpasses Ghost Protocol and Rogue Nation to become the best in the franchise and surpasses Infinity War to become the best action movie of the summer. Just an exhilarating experience full of terrific set pieces (my favorites: the bathroom fight and the helicopter climax) that feels much shorter than it's almost 2.5 hour running time, combined with a dynamite supporting cast (including a sinister Henry Cavill) surrounding Tom Cruise and his crazy stunt abilities (I can only hope I'm that active when I'm his age lol). I hope we get many more of these. A-

• Like 1

wow i just learned that the plane jumping was all done for real. I thought that was CGI it looked fake to me and I thought there is no way that could have been done. I think i need to go and watch it again to appreciate that part

Edited by eVerYtHING
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, captainwondyful said:

The ex-wife doesn't appear in the movie until after Paris so not sure what was confusing about her in Paris. If you're referring to the White Widow then she's definitely not his ex-wife since she's a mob boss, and blonde while the female agent has dark hair. 

Not sure how you confused anyone out of these 3 actually :qotd:

Edited by Daxtreme
typo
  • Like 1

That bathroom fight scene is legit one of the best action scenes I’ve ever seen in a film. Great stuff.

Having binged all of the Mission: Impossible films in the past week or so, I can definitively say this is my absolute favorite by far. Everyone in this film, in-front and behind the camera, gave it their all and the payoff is great. 

6>4>3>5>1>2

4.5/5

1 hour ago, Daxtreme said:

Not sure how you confused anyone out of these 3 actually :qotd:

Cause they look the same:

mission-impossible-fallout-trailer-break

mission-impossible-fallout-trailer-break

And the wife did appear in those dreams which was confusing to me.  

Indeed they look similar, more than I recalled. I never had a problem identifying either of them though.

Also, his ex-wife has been shown in all the mission impossible movies to, well, not be an "action girl" at all. Seemed obvious to me from the start that it wasn't her based on narrative hint alone, especially since the female agent rode a motorcycle for the better portion of the previous installment. Seems only natural it would be her again, and not his ex-wife.

But I can see how it could be confusing based on looks alone.

• Like 1

Lots of action. So much I started to get bored towards the end. Might’ve been the headache I had, but I couldn’t wait for it to be over, it just seemed so long. Still, I acknowledge it was a well made and intense film. Between this and Ghost Protocol, the only other MI movie I’ve seen, I prefer Ghost Protocol. That was just more fun. I liked most of the performances. Cavill’s acting was pretty wooden, but he was essentially playing a thug and didn’t need much acting/charisma to pull that off. I haven’t seen Rogue Nation so I was a bit lost about the relationship between certain characters. Overall, I liked it, but probably won’t be watching again. B

Edited by Deja23
  • Like 1

There’s literally nothing between the thrilling but been-there-done-that action sequences. You feel every second of its runtime, especially in the third act, despite being bombarded with heavy doses of adrenaline.

Some say who cares about the story, it’s all about the stunts.

It’s never about the stunts.

6/10

Edited by Goffe
  • Like 2

it was ok, but rather silly as well as puzzling. I mean, I've seen the earlier M:I movies but they're quickly forgotten so I had very little idea what the whole business was about and what the motivations were. The stunts were, of course, excellent (which is the point of those movies, anyway) although the final heli chase was so over the top it not only bordered on but overstepped the line to self-parody. As did the convoluted plot; I think they could use much simpler scripts. Pegg was used effectively for the few funny moments.

7/10. B

Why does nearly every agency thriller nowadays has to slip into self parody? Any ideas?

At risk of sounding at least a tad hyperbolic, Mission: Impossible – Fallout feels like a small miracle. The franchise has always been reliable for well-constructed and highly-entertaining action sequences, but it somehow manages to reach a new peak in its sixth installment - a point at which most other blockbuster franchises have either sputtered out or cut their losses and turned to a reboot. Bucking tradition with the previous films by bringing back the previous film’s director – Christopher McQuarrie – and emphasizing continuity between films more frequently and explicitly than its predecessors, Fallout feels like a more monumental undertaking than anything else from the Mission: Impossible series to date, and it mostly scales the height of its ambitions. Every set piece is meticulously crafted and remarkably exciting, thus allowing the near-two-and-a-half-hour running time to fly by. The enhanced focus on continuity with previous film also succeeds in lending greater weight to the proceedings, especially in a third act where the predicaments of the rest of the ensemble feel almost as tense of that of our protagonist. Somehow, despite having played this role across a whopping 22 years, Tom Cruise is solid as ever as Ethan Hunt; he still has the physicality to pull off show-stopping stunts, the necessary investment to sell his relationships with the other characters, and the charisma to make all of it look effortless. It’s going to be extremely difficult – if not impossible (lame pun not intended) – for Paramount to find another actor to step into the role with as much effectiveness whenever Cruise decides to walk away. The rest of the returning cast successfully trades on the traits that made them effective in their previous appearances, and Henry Cavill does some of his most effective work to date as Hunt’s potentially untrustworthy CIA foil. I’ve always enjoyed this series and found myself looking forward to the next installment as soon as the current one’s credits begin to roll, but Fallout outdoes its predecessor and shines as yet another example of popcorn entertainment done blissfully right in a summer movie season unusually heavy with such films. I can’t wait to see what this team has in store for its seventh mission.

A-

• Like 2