That One Girl

MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE FALLOUT WEEKEND THREAD | 23 Friday...MM2 4.8...TT 4.25 EQ2 4.0

1 minute ago, The Futurist said:

Depp was gonna be the actor of his generation but in 2002, he said yes to a Jerry Bruckheimer phone call and well, here we are.

Jerry is the worst. he ruins careers. look for Top Gun 2 to be an embarrassment

7 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

man you guys are ranking RDJ low. maybe it's just because he hasn't flexed in a little while but he's almost certainly one of the best American actors. not just movie stars.

Some people think he's just playing himself as IM which he isn't so they undervalue that role and they also haven't watched most of his films. 

His hiring for IM was so newsworthy not just because of his notorious past but because he was always thought to be one of the best actors of his generation and there he was headlining a CBM.  

Just watch him in Zodiac blow everyone else off screen - and not because the others weren't giving top notch performances.  Also -  Less Than Zero, Chaplin, Natural Born Killers, Short Cuts, Restoration, Wonder Boys, A Scanner Darkly, KKBB, Tropic Thunder - hell  Ally Freaking McBeal.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Denzel Washington is probably the only actor on Earth who can get the entire audience to start cheering and laughing just by the look he gives someone BEFORE he launches into a monologue - right before you know he is gonna Denzel it the fuck up. I've had that happen multiple times. Clearly the sign of a legend. He has a legit GOAT case IMO

There were scenes in Equalizer 2 where people started cheering/laughing solely because of an expression he would make on his face.  The crowd would go wild too every time he delivered a leigitimately funny line or did a badass kill.  It was a wonderful thing to witness,

Edited by That One Guy
  • Like 2

I appreciate that Cruise Missile has given us a decade plus of high-quality, original or creative blockbuster types (MI, American Made, Edge of Tomorrow, countless others) that most other actors can't get greenlit. That said, I would love to see him act in something that isn't a total Cruise blockbuster vehicle. Do another Magnolia or something. It's time. I would have been wayyy more interested in seeing him in the next QT than Pitt.

• Like 6

I know this is going to sound completely unbelievable given my "SJW" stances and known hatred for Depp, but straight up even before the domestic abuse thing I never liked him as an actor at all. I flat out don't think that playing "zany" characters like he does is half as impressive as playing a regular human with great believability. 

Edited by Cmasterclay

RDJ is gonna get one of those cary grant deals where he wasn't taken super seriously in his own heyday and it was kinda after the fact that all the critics and such went "ooooh wait he's like the best movie star of all time lol"

• Like 1

Just now, TalismanRing said:

Some people think he's just playing himself as IM which he isn't so they undervalue that role and they also haven't watched most of his films. 

His hiring for IM was so newsworthy not just because of his notorious past but because he was always thought to be one of the best actors of his generation and there he was headlining a CBM.  

Just watch him in Zodiac blow everyone else off screen - and not because the others weren't giving top notch performances.  Also -  Less Than Zero, Chaplin, Natural Born Killers, Short Cuts, Restoration, Wonder Boys, A Scanner Darkly, KKBB, Tropic Thunder - hell  Ally Freaking McBeal.

I admittedly haven't seen most of these films, but yeah I agree he's great in Zodiac and Natural Born Killers.  I was mostly ranking based on my current thoughts on them (as in, how much value them being in a movie would have to me/impact my decision to see it).

• Like 1

I appreciate the action films that Cruise has given us but  I wish he would mix it up again a little.  I was so excited when he looked like he was going to be in that Tarantino film and he sadly didnt do it. 

• Like 1

Also Phillip Seymour Hoffman is the actor of that generation anyway. Everyone else is just following his ghost. It's time for the next generation to rise now. Hardy, Jordan, and Issac are the three "big names" that have broken out since 2012 that I think can do it. 

Chris Pine always seems like a guy who is this close to being a draw, but since Star Trek is the only thing he gets leads for, he's forced to be sidelined and can't be as big as the other A-listers. Dude's in a lot of successful stuff in the past, he's super talented, all the stuff you need. Blame it on Jack Ryan I guess.

Edited by CoolEric258
  • Like 3

Just now, Cmasterclay said:

Also Phillip Seymour Hoffman is the actor of that generation anyway. Everyone else is just following his ghost. It's time for the next generation to rise now. Hardy, Jordan, and Issac are the three "big names" that have broken out since 2012 that I think can do it. 

Back to the A-list discussion, if Creed II is big MBJ will probably be considered an A-lister at that point.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

Chris Pine always seems like a guy who is this close to being a draw, but since Star Trek is the only thing he gets leads for, he's forced to be sidelined and can't be as big as the other A-listers. Dude's in a lot of successful stuff in the past, he's super talented, all the stuff you need. Blame it on Jack Ryan I guess.

Chris Pine reminds me a lot of Matt Damon. Pretty versatile, probably won't be elite in any particular skill but balanced. Still needs to refine his dramatics a little bit but Hell or High Water was a big step.

Also appears to be more woke than mansplaining Matt. 

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Cmasterclay said:

Also Phillip Seymour Hoffman is the CHARACTER actor of that generation anyway. Everyone else is just following his ghost. It's time for the next generation to rise now. Hardy, Jordan, and Issac are the three "big names" that have broken out since 2012 that I think can do it. 

FIXED

For me its Cruise all the way. From A few good men till now his weakest movies are The Mummy, JR:NGB in that order. Hes pretty much consistent compared to other actors in term of delivering quality movies. 

Like others mentioned, i wanna see Cruise in a drama, comedy which has been a while. Hopefully after Top Gun 2 he continues making one or two MI movies and in between he does some offbeat stuff like these.

Edited by John Rambo
  • Like 1