That One Girl

MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE FALLOUT WEEKEND THREAD | 23 Friday...MM2 4.8...TT 4.25 EQ2 4.0

21 minutes ago, nick64 said:

Yeah I know, I was more referring to Skyscraper and Equalizer as the direct competition. Those others are just more that could’ve added potential fatigue to action fans

Lower the competition almost always the better.

But I feel it is more Skyscraper and Equalizer than got hurt by Mission Impossible buzz (they lifted the embargo the first day or just before Skyscraper went to theater I think) than the other way around and could be why Skyscraper was so much Johnson fan driven and Equalizer 2 fan of the first/Denzel fan driven, with bad legs after the first couple of really core fan driven days.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Lowe the comp almost always the better.

But I feel it is more Skyscraper and Equalizer than got hurt by Mission Impossible buzz (they lifted the embargo the first day or just before Skyscraper went to theater I think) than the other way around and could be why Skyscraper was so much Johnson fan driven and Equalizer 2 fan of the first/Denzel fan driven, with bad legs after the first couple of really core fan driven days.

Absolutely they suffered more. MI just has a much better hook, and is more widely appealing. But I’m sure they had at least some effect on this as well.

Say you’re a big action fan, and you went to see Skyscraper opening weekend and Equalizer the week after. But now your funds are kinda low and you gotta wait a bit for Fallout. Situations like that.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, nick64 said:

Yeah I know, I was more referring to Skyscraper and Equalizer as the direct competition. Those others are just more that could’ve added potential fatigue to action fans. MI can certainly thrive a few weeks apart from Jurassic and Ant-Man, but when the gaps are filled with two more films that target the exact same audience as MI, that can really hurt it.

Just to be clear, I definitely think this is a solid opening, but it probably could’ve been bigger with a less crowded schedule.

The comp really wasn't bad, Skyscraper not doing well and Sequalizer targeting a very different audience. Doesn't seem like a major factor to me, in fact I thought the light schedule was one of the biggest things this movie had going for it (in terms of eying an increase from RN)

The release schedule around a tentpole isn't going to be this bare-bones again for at least a few years, unless a big one targets late Sept or something

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Chewy said:

The comp really wasn't bad, Skyscraper not doing well and Sequalizer targeting a very different audience. Doesn't seem like a major factor to me, in fact I thought the light schedule was one of the biggest things this movie had going for it (in terms of eying an increase from RN)

No comparable movie doing 15m during it's opening weekend, nothing is weekend #2, there is only the Meg on is way and that could be a non factor in some market. True that a good window for it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Chewy said:

The release schedule around a tentpole isn't going to be this bare-bones again for at least a few years, unless a big one targets late Sept or something

We are headed into monthly blockbusters starting next year. Mid August to late September seems to be the only time studios don't want to release one anymore.

• Like 1

Just now, grim22 said:

We are headed into monthly blockbusters starting next year. Mid August to late September seems to be the only time studios don't want to release one anymore.

I think Charlie's Angels just moved to Sept haha

2 minutes ago, grim22 said:

1 minute ago, Chewy said:

:mouthdropped:

2 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Do you guys know any recent data about the share of IMAX and other premium screens on the overall domestic box office? Any idea where I can find this type of info?

Sometime deadline will tell them:

https://variety.com/2017/film/news/box-office-dunkirk-international-1202510518/

Imax screens alone are responsible for $12.3 million of “Dunkirk’s” global box office this weekend from 710 screens in 68 markets. The worldwide Imax cume for the movie now stands at $40.1 million.

For 3D domestic it is easy to find:

https://www.mpaa.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/MPAA-Theatrical-Market-Statistics-2016_Final.pdf

Domestic market 3D is around 15% of the box office after 2013.

3d/PLF screen by market in 2016:

domestic: 16.745/945

Europe: 18.278/295

Asia: 47k/859

Latin America: 5.2k/231

Total: 87,176 / 2,330

There is around 164k screen worldwide, a bit more than half support 3D, 1.5% are PLF

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, Chewy said:

I have my doubts about that one doing great numbers just based on the cast and a director whose previous efforts are a segment in Movie 43 and the entirety of Pitch Perfect 2.

13 minutes ago, grim22 said:

And the summer months and the holidays are still as crowded as ever. Seems like instead of the calendar being more spread out there's just going to be more tentpoles overall.

• Like 2

@Blankments RIP to one of the most notorious trailer stalkers for everyone (never got Blindspotting btw):

12:

Mission: Impossible – Fallout (Black Panther, Annihilation, A Quiet Place, Avengers: Infinity War, Ready Player One, Breaking In, Upgrade, Hereditary, Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom, Sicario: Day of the Soldado, Skyscraper, Unfriended: Dark Web)

6:

Alpha (Hitman’s Bodyguard, Geostorm, Thor: Ragnarok, Downsizing, Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle, Isle of Dogs)

The Darkest Minds (A Quiet Place, Ready Player One, Blockers, Breaking In, Upgrade, Hereditary)

5:

The Meg (Upgrade, Hereditary, Ant-Man and the Wasp, Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom, Skyscraper)

4:

BlacKkKlansman (Upgrade, Sicario: Day of the Soldado, Skyscraper, Unfriended: Dark Web)

Venom (Black Panther, Game Night, Blockers, Deadpool 2)

3:

Dr. Seuss’ The Grinch (Isle of Dogs, Incredibles 2, Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom)

Kin (Hereditary, The First Purge, Sicario: Day of the Soldado)

Night School (Blockers, Breaking In, Tag)

The Nun (Tag, The First Purge, Unfriended: Dark Web)

The Nutcracker and the Four Realms (The Greatest Showman, Ant-Man and the Wasp, Skyscraper)

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (Love, Simon, Ready Player One, Deadpool 2)

2:

Alita: Battle Angel (Star Wars: The Last Jedi, Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle)

Bumblebee (Incredibles 2, Ant-Man and the Wasp)

Can You Ever Forgive Me? (Unsane, Isle of Dogs)

Creed II (Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom, Skyscraper)

Dog Days (Incredibles 2, Leave No Trace)

Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald (Isle of Dogs, Avengers: Infinity War)

First Man (Sicario: Day of the Soldado, Skyscraper)

Halloween (The First Purge, Unfriended: Dark Web)

The Happytime Murders (Tag, The First Purge)

The Hate U Give (Skyscraper, Unfriended: Dark Web)

The House with a Clock in Its Walls (Ready Player One, Ant-Man and the Wasp)

Mortal Engines (The Commuter, Skyscraper)

Nobody’s Fool (The First Purge, Unfriended: Dark Web)

Polaroid (Wind River, mother!)

The Predator (The First Purge, Sicario: Day of the Soldado)

Searching (Hereditary, Unfriended: Dark Web)

The Spy Who Dumped Me (Ready Player One, Tag)

A Star Is Born (Ocean’s 8, Sicario: Day of the Soldado)

1:

Teen Titans Go! To the Movies (Rampage)

Spoiler

A.X.L. (Ant-Man and the Wasp)

Bohemian Rhapsody (Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom)

The Current War (Wind River)

Eighth Grade (Isle of Dogs)

The Girl in the Spider’s Web (Ocean’s 😎

Hell Fest (Unfriended: Dark Web)

How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World (Incredibles 2)

The Little Stranger (Hereditary)

Little Women (Leave No Trace)

Mary Poppins Returns (Leave No Trace)

Mile 22 (Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom)

The New Mutants (Thor: Ragnarok)

Peppermint (Ocean’s 😎

Ralph Breaks the Internet (Incredibles 2)

Serenity (Tag)

Smallfoot (Coco)

White Boy Rick (Sicario: Day of the Soldado)

Widows (Ocean’s 😎

Wonder Park (Leave No Trace)

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

I just got back from Skyscraper and enjoyed it.

Neve was the stand out. Obvs. 

IMO, Neve stood out for being a bizarro casting decision. Zero chemistry with The Rock, no idea how she got the gig. Not that this matters much to a film like Skyscraper, but there it was.

1 hour ago, Alli said:

:mouthdropped:

Stephen King's It was released in September and its sequel is scheduled for next September. There are no longer any dump months given that studios have reduced their mid-budget outputs and are making more expensive movies.

40 minutes ago, SteveJaros said:

IMO, Neve stood out for being a bizarro casting decision. Zero chemistry with The Rock, no idea how she got the gig. Not that this matters much to a film like Skyscraper, but there it was.

I disagree, she’s very likeable and has played kick ass roles before and she’s an age appropriate love interest for him too. 

• Like 5

It's gonna be a very interesting box office August to see if AMC's new program can pick up the slack for Moviepass's winding down (although, who knows, maybe they will bounce back and stay in operation for awhile - stranger things have happened in business)...even if AMC picks up some slack, with AMCs not available everywhere domestically, we could see a haves/have not situation for most mid-level and below box office type movies (which is pretty much all of August)...

• Like 1