That One Girl

MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE FALLOUT WEEKEND THREAD | 23 Friday...MM2 4.8...TT 4.25 EQ2 4.0

27 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

It's gonna be a very interesting box office August to see if AMC's new program can pick up the slack for Moviepass's winding down (although, who knows, maybe they will bounce back and stay in operation for awhile - stranger things have happened in business)...even if AMC picks up some slack, with AMCs not available everywhere domestically, we could see a haves/have not situation for most mid-level and below box office type movies (which is pretty much all of August)... 

AMC deal is bad for studios, instead of giving studios 50% of a $25 IMAX ticket. All tickets paid to studio based off average ticket price of around $9. So those premium formats are not goosing the box office any more.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

AMC deal is bad for studios, instead of giving studios 50% of a $25 IMAX ticket. All tickets paid to studio based off average ticket price of around $9. So those premium formats are not goosing the box office any more.

I don't understand how this deal works out for individual AMC theaters.  NYC and LA theaters would make out like bandits only having to split the cost of a $9 ticket avg while theaters in smaller towns where the avg ticket price is under $9 would be in the red.  Or are the ticket sales of all theaters lumped together and then expenses paid out from the pool?

Studios also said they'd be monitoring ticket sales and if this new policy cost them revenues they would dispute it.

7 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

I don't understand how this deal works out for individual AMC theaters.  NYC and LA theaters would make out like bandits only having to split the cost of a $9 ticket avg while theaters in smaller towns where the avg ticket price is under $9 would be in the red.  Or are the ticket sales of all theaters lumped together and then expenses paid out from the pool?

Studios also said they'd be monitoring ticket sales and if this new policy cost them revenues they would dispute it.

they are counting on double/triple admissions and making up the difference at the concessions

30 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

If you think about it NYC and LA are the most competitive markets with privately owned/indie theaters and a multitude of other chains: Alamo, Pacific, Regal, Cinemark, arc light, etc all competing with each other. AMC now has an advantage by offering this deal and possibly enticing people that usually frequented the other theater chains. Now those customers will most likely stick with AMC since the sub only is for that. That increase in foot traffic will most certainly lead to sales increasing in concessions. 

Also, I have seen various AMC employees posting on different forums saying that usually the premium showings of the movies were empty besides for MCU opening weekend. Now those will be filled and leave the regular 2D showtimes that people not on A*list are willing to pay for.

Edited by YLF
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

I don't understand how this deal works out for individual AMC theaters

AMC Theatres are not franchises. They are all owned by a single corporate entity American Multi-Cinema, Inc. 

http://investor.amctheatres.com/investor-faqs

Does AMC Entertainment Holdings, Inc. franchise its theatres?

Presently, AMC Entertainment Holdings, Inc. does not offer franchise opportunities for its theatres.

So I imagine it just need to work as a whole ? But the concession sales going to them like mentioned could still make it work

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

M:I6 needed more exotic locales and more Rebecca Ferguson action scenes. 

I do wonder if the filming break and then her pregnancy affected that a little.

9 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Should hit around $22m

Thanks for the number.

That's nearly 30% jump from Friday gross (excl midnights). For comparison, MI5 jumped 20%.

If it follows MI5 from here on, it should finish with 215-220m. 200m shouldn't be a problem now.

• Like 4
  • Astonished 1

1 hour ago, YLF said:

If you think about it NYC and LA are the most competitive markets with privately owned/indie theaters and a multitude of other chains: Alamo, Pacific, Regal, Cinemark, arc light, etc all competing with each other. AMC now has an advantage by offering this deal and possibly enticing people that usually frequented the other theater chains. Now those customers will most likely stick with AMC since the sub only is for that. That increase in foot traffic will most certainly lead to sales increasing in concessions. 

Also, I have seen various AMC employees posting on different forums saying that usually the premium showings of the movies were empty besides for MCU opening weekend. Now those will be filled and leave the regular 2D showtimes that people not on A*list are willing to pay for.

I can see how that would be great for AMC and they'd make money with concessions while taking business from their rivals.

With that avg ticket price, that would only benefit studios though if about twice as many tickets were sold than normal in NY or L.A.  - they're not getting a cut from concessions and the business they gain at AMC is probably business lost at Regal etc where they'd be getting more $.  I can see why studios want to monitor it - especially for opening weekends of blockbusters.

• Like 1

Honestly, curious how much MoviePass's destruction has effected this weekend. Willing to bet a lot of people who would've gone this weekend instead are trying to see how that turns out before they accidentally waste a free ticket. Betting on a pretty big Tuesday jump definitely.

• Like 4

So can anybody tell me what happened that MoviePass suddenly went down the gutter? From what I can tell from reading comments here on BOT that it certainly helped in increasing footfalls of movies especially mid-level budget and indie flicks that people would go out and watch at discount rates.

• Like 1