Kalo

Highest grossing film of 2019?

What will be the Highest Grossing film of 2019?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. What Will be the highest Grossing film of 2019?

• Avengers 4
    • The Lion King
    • Star Wars IX
    • Frozen 2
    • Jumanji 3
    • Toy Story 4
    • Pokémon Detective Pikachu
    • Other

2019 is looking up to be massive, especially for Disney (again).

And the #1 film is not as clear cut as you might think. of course with BP looking to stay on top for 2018. this year's #1 was pretty unexpected as well. (although WW A3, was right on the money and massively successful.

I think it all boils down to 3 films, all released by Disney 

Avengers 4,  The Lion King and Star Wars IX.

I suppose Captain Marvel could pull a BP and end up being massive, but I still only see that doing WW numbers at best.

Option 1: Avengers 4

Everyone thought Infinity War was going to be big, but there were alot of people (not me) thought Marvel had reached it's peak with the First Avengers in 2012. But then Black Panther came out and will (I think) cross $700m. making it the highest grossing Superhero film of all time (domestically) The funny thing is Infinity War exceeded expectations in almost every way, but because of the astronomical break-out of Black Panther, it will not be able to (quite) top it, but when a film finish with $680m+ especially when it is not even the first in the series and has had massive positive fan reaction and really really good critical reviews to boot, and the fact that Infinity War was technically only part 1 of the culmination of the series, I would not rule out the possibility of A4 out-grossing or at least matching those numbers, but a decrease from IW is would be understandable just because how big it was, and maybe some pre-mature final rush factor for IW. I'm think A4 will be a massive crowd pleaser though and see a finish with $650-$700m.

Option 2: The Lion King

Beauty and the Beast turned out to be a massive (financial anyways) success for the studio topping $500m. and The Lion King is arguably Disney's most beloved and adjusted one of their most highest grossing film of all time, It being released in the 1990s means nostalgia factor will have a huge appeal for people in the 20s and 30s. The fact that this is tecnhailly not really a live-action film so much as Live Action looking may limit it's box office potential, but if it looks good, then it should not have too much. I honestly wouldn't rule out the possibility of this hitting $700m. But $500m would not be completely shocking either. 

Option 3: Star Wars IX

2018 is the first year a Star Wars film hasn't been the #1 film since Disney began releasing a Star Wars film annually in 2015, While no one was really expecting Solo to be the #1 film of the year with Avengers Infinity War and Incredibles 2 coming out this year. Solo barely passing $200m is disheartening. especially when when you take into account the $300m+ decrease of TLJ from TFA. now it would be absurd to think the main Trilogy final will finish with a sub $250m or even $300m. But sadly with them having to rewrite EP IX without Carrie Fisher who was suppose to have a large role in the film, the divisive response from TLJ and decreasing BO numbers of Star Wars numbers, Disney will have an uphill battle to get this film to make EP IX the #1 film of the year. don't be surprised if it finish it's run with $450-$500m.

All other films becoming #1 would be really surprising. and all of the above 3 would have to massively under perform for this to happen imo.

But all list in the pole are sequels to films that all made over $400m and should be taken into acount. Will WW84 out gross the first Wonder Woman? Frozen is still petty popular with young girls. I expect the sequel will be massive, are audiences wanting to see a 4th film to a 3rd that most considered a perfect sendoff with Toy Story 3? Will the third Jumanji keep up the momentum of the second one? 

There are some pretty big break-out potential films to like Captain Marvel and Shazam! releasing. 

Anyways give me your thoughts. 

Edited by Kalo

My Guess for top 10 would be 

1. Avengers 4 $700,000,000
  2. The Lion King $650,000,000
  3. Star Wars IX $485,000,000
  4. Frozen 2 $420,000,000
  5. Wonder Woman: 1984 $400,000,000
  6. Spider-Man: Far From Home $350,000,000
  7. Captain Marvel $330,000,000
  8. Toy Story 4 $325,000,000
  9. Jumanji 3 $320,000,000
  10. It: Chapter 2 $315,000,000

Edited by Kalo
  • Like 1

On 9/1/2018 at 12:30 AM, lilmac said:

Lion King over Episode IX? 

Episode IX - $750

Avengers - $720

Lion King - $650

I have a hard time seeing Ep IX making more then TLJ after it's divisive audience reception. and Solo's downright awful performance. I would actually be surprised if it hit $600m.