CaptainJackSparrow

The Lion King OS Thread

28 minutes ago, scabab said:

Is it a lock to pass Jurassic World yet?

I don't think it has enough gas left. For some reason this seems to be a contrarian position, but to pass JW it needs $163m more and it just grossed $38m globally. With summer weekdays winding down, I would be surprised if it passes JW. Grosses in Japan and Italy (the two regions it needs to perform well in in order to pass JW) tend to collapse when summer ends. It can do it, but its not a lock

2 minutes ago, Justin4125 said:

I don't think it has enough gas left. For some reason this seems to be a contrarian position, but to pass JW it needs $163m more and it just grossed $38m globally. With summer weekdays winding down, I would be surprised if it passes JW. Grosses in Japan and Italy (the two regions it needs to perform well in in order to pass JW) tend to collapse when summer ends. It can do it, but its not a lock

Japan$35m

NA $30m

Italy$20m

OS-Japan-Italy:$40m

Total:$1500m+35m+30m+20m+40m=$1625m

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Justin4125 said:

I don't think it has enough gas left. For some reason this seems to be a contrarian position, but...

Sub-JW is the most reasonable projection. Needs more than a 5x multiplier from this weekend, and with summer coming to an end and 12 (or 16? did they include Italy's Wednesday gross in the weekend figure?) millions (=almost 1/3 of the whole WW weekend) coming from a country where legs aren't strong, this is not looking good.

Update for the Netherlands.

TLK is the highest grossing movie ever with €25.986M beating Titanic combined (€25.62M). Weekend was €925k down 61% (really harsh drop similar to the german drop) so thinking it could hold well on the next weekend and after that too but it's still #1 in its sixth weekend.

In admissions it should be around 2.5M (taking ATP slightly above €10, might be lower so admissions could be 2.6M). The original is #7 all time with 2.772M, thinking it has a solid chance to beat that. It has a chance at #6 which has 2986k admissions.

Titanic (combined) in admissions (#3) is unreachable with 3.61M.

EDIT: Regarding admissions, despite insidekino stating roughly 2.5M, I am thinking more along the lines of 2.6M considering in the past years on average netherlands and germany had similar ticket prices and ATP for TLK in Germany is €9.7, so even if its higher in the Netherlands I don't think its above €10.

Edited by Taruseth
  • Like 4

30 minutes ago, druv10 said:

OS actual has gone up nearly 3M to hit 1B OS!!!

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic:  $510,635,735    33.8%
Foreign:  $1,000,775,374    66.2%

Worldwide:  $1,511,411,109

Thank you, OS-moviegoers. 🙋🏻‍♀️👍🏻

Though i wish the original 1994 hand-drawn animated TLK would get to over $1B WW in the future. 🙍🏻‍♀️

Please, Disney. Re-release the original 1994 TLK again with a wide release so that one can get to $1B too. 👩🏻‍💼

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Lion King already Top 3 of all time in South Africa, gross 101m rand,after Black Panther(108m) and Avengers Endgame(103m),may pass EG next week and become biggest release of the year,and Lion King still have chance to overtake Black Panther to become highest grossing film in South Afirca

• Like 8

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Crossing $1 billion OS with its biggest foreign market China only grossing $120 million AND having no other foreign markets above $100 million is very impressive. All the other films that crossed $1 billion OS either had huge help from China and/or a number of markets that crossed $100 million. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, KP1025 said:

Crossing $1 billion OS with its biggest foreign market China only grossing $120 million AND having no other foreign markets above $100 million is very impressive. All the other films that crossed $1 billion OS either had huge help from China and/or a number of markets that crossed $100 million. 

Indeed. If you remove the largest single OS market from each other the billion OS grosses, you get the following totals....

Avatar -- $1.826b ( - $203m / China)  

Titanic -- $1.327b ( - $201m / Japan) 

Endgame -- $1.310b ( - $629m / China) 
Infinity War -- $993m ( - $376m / China)

The Lion King -- $921m ( - $120m / China)

Jurassic World -- $790m ( - $228m / China)

TLK had an extremely balanced run, on par with Titanic and Avatar in those terms. 

• Like 6