Totem

3 reasons why you think Harry Potter and the "???" is the weakest in the series?

My least favorite is Half Blood Prince.The teen angst ruined the movie for me, I get so annoyed with it I can't even sit through it anymore. I also hate how the film varies so wildly in tone. The story is extremely dark but the characters are living in a half comedy-half drama world, switching back and forth like it's nothing.

I think you need to see it again.

OOTP suffered from being shot as a 3 hour 5 minute film and then being cut to 2 hours and 20 minutes.

"The book's huge, but it actually distills quite easily... That said, I've shot a movie that's probably over three hours, so I'll have to lose 45 minutes in the edit."

http://www.the-leaky-cauldron.org/2006/10/27/ootp-director-david-yates-i-ve-shot-a-movie-that-s-probably-over-three-hours

OoTP, while definitely not my least favorite, had a lot of misdirection. Why keep in Grawp? He should have been cut down completely, and maybe trim a little bit of Umbridge's classes/RoR scenes. With that, you'd be able to keep in Harry's date with Cho, a lot more time on the climax, and being able to see Harry going insane at Dumbledore.

I'm shocked at how negatively everybody sees Phoenix. I think it's Yates's second best Potter.Half-Blood Prince is damn anticlimactic. It has no beginning or end. The story didn't translate on-screen.

There's something very alluring about HBP. I do like OoTP very much, but only when I'm able to distance myself from the book and not think of the wasted opportunities. Have you read the books? If not, then you wouldn't really know just how many scenes that should have been in were cut.Grawp was so fucking pointless.In the entire Harry Potter series, there are only two pointless chapters or subplots that didn't advance the plot. Grawp was one, and the second most pointless chapter (however enjoyable to read) was Christmas at the Burrow in HBP.

Deathly Hallows 21. Deaths not handled well save Snape/Harry2. Battles not epic and were rushed3. The ending- I still cannot believe they went with Harry walking inside with everyone acting like it was recess and Hermione & Ron coming out having looked like they lost their virginity next to a dead snake. What if Voldie had emerged and it was Harry who became feathers and ash?

Deathly Hallows 21. Deaths not handled well save Snape/Harry2. Battles not epic and were rushed3. The ending- I still cannot believe they went with Harry walking inside with everyone acting like it was recess and Hermione & Ron coming out having looked like they lost their virginity next to a dead snake. What if Voldie had emerged and it was Harry who became feathers and ash?

When did they act like it was recess? I'm glad it wasn't like the book in which everyone erupted into cheers. And in case you hadn't noticed, Ron/Hermione were on the steps of the entrance to the Great Hall so they saw Voldemort die.I don't know what some people expected of the battle. The Fiendyfire was rushed? Did you not like Courtyard Apocalypse? That was pretty epic.

When DH the book was published in the internet days before the official release (somebody got a copy and photographed the book double page by double page) the consensus was: This must still be fake because the epilogue sucks so much... ;)

• Astonished 1

When did they act like it was recess? I'm glad it wasn't like the book in which everyone erupted into cheers. And in case you hadn't noticed, Ron/Hermione were on the steps of the entrance to the Great Hall so they saw Voldemort die.I don't know what some people expected of the battle. The Fiendyfire was rushed? Did you not like Courtyard Apocalypse? That was pretty epic.

No one pays attention to Harry. They just talk amongst themselves like they've just had a game of Quidditch in the Great Hall.Thing is, I'm not saying the book handled it real well, but this is even worse, which is hard to believe. I mean, how can you not have any scene where anyone acknowledges Voldemort's been defeated? Also there were many obstructions, R&H clearly couldn't see LV burst into ash.Fiendyfire was definitely rushed as well. I didn't like that scene for some reason. It didn't feel well paced. Courtyard Apocalypse, you mean where the trio duck and dodge through the battle? That was pretty good but I guess the key reason I personally don't like the battles is the fact that despite Harry Potter being focused on those main characters, Rowling created a world in the books where you cared for each character even if they weren't mentioned a lot. There's a whole atmosphere for the rest of the students and wizards and witches that you'd like them to get some acknowledgement after 10 years and nothing more. Sure, it might've been slightly over the top if we had the focus on so many one after the other, but that could be made less obvious with intercutting and editing. I didn't feel characters got their moment.Bellatrix, for killing Sirius, was also taken down like a first-year caught without a wand. That's just wrong.

Is anyone allowed to criticise DeathlyHallows the movies without Noctis getting a bit defensive? I also found the deaths poorly handled and the ending to be weaker than the book...

Ugh, me too. Some scenes in DH2 really disappointed me.Fred's deathTonks/Lupin's deathBella-Molly duelLack of Bellatrix in generalThe death scenes, there was just no reflection. Didn't even come close to the emotional impact in the book.
  • Like 2

Ugh, me too. Some scenes in DH2 really disappointed me.Fred's deathTonks/Lupin's deathBella-Molly duelLack of Bellatrix in generalThe death scenes, there was just no reflection. Didn't even come close to the emotional impact in the book.

agreed I liked the movie but the deaths where handle horrible. I am going to watch again over Christmas to see what I think of the film.OTTP it was boring, boring, boring. HBP is bad too, I loved the HBP but the movie was so mediocre.

The Tonks/Lupin death is fine, IMO, although I think they should have been more grand. But it's fine nonetheless. It was nice to see them trying to hold on to each other.It's just Fred's death that's the most glaring flaw in the movie.