That One Girl

Midsommar | July 3, 2019 | Florence Pugh, Jack Reynor, Will Poulter | A24 | Ari Aster (Hereditary) directing

14 minutes ago, Fanboy said:

Yeah if this avoids an F CinemaScore then it will be more audience friendly than I expected based on the script. 

Yeah, if this doesn't get an F, then hardly anything else will.

I gave a look at all of 19 movies that got the F CinemaScore. I only watched one of them ( Wolf Creek ) and I didn't know it got an F.  It was definitely messy, and getting released on Christmas, probably didn't help at all. What were they thinking? lol

The other one is the Brad Pitt flick. I saw some scenes on youtube and they look just fine. No idea why Killing Them Softly got an F. 

Slender Man and Suburbicon almost joined that F CinemaScore list ( both got a D- ).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JB33 said:

What? That goes against what I heard about this not too long ago.

the tone seems lighter than Hereditary from the reactions/reviews. a lot of critics were saying it's very funny and hilarious. while the movie is probably still as messed up and disturbing as Hereditary, but adding a lot of humor could make it more audience friendly. Remember people HATED Hereditary a lot..  

Edited by RealLyre
word
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, filmlover said:

The budget for this is probably low enough that it'll be in the black even if it makes half of what Hereditary did (which it likely will anyway).

I remember reading somewhere the budget for this was $20 Million which is very big for a movie like this. I can't remember where I saw that though. 

10 hours ago, Fanboy said:

I remember reading somewhere the budget for this was $20 Million which is very big for a movie like this. I can't remember where I saw that though. 

That is quite big, especially for an A24 release. 

Hereditary did make $80m from the same director though so maybe just confidence. 

13 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Florence Pugh can't catch a break. Stars in Outlaw, gets upstaged by Pine's woody. Stars in Midsomer, gets upstaged by Raynor's. maybe stop appearing in movies with hot star dicks? :lol:

That's why she's in these movies.

• Astonished 1

13 hours ago, Fanboy said:

Half of the budget went toward paying Raynor’s wang.

17 hours ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

The other one is the Brad Pitt flick. I saw some scenes on youtube and they look just fine. No idea why Killing Them Softly got an F. 

Marketing made it look like a fun crime comedy when it was actually a satire with dark comedy and heaps of cynicism. It probably doesn't help that the film was also pretty divisive among major critics and film buffs who knew full-well what they were getting themselves into.

Just like with Hereditary, I won't read too far into whatever CinemaScore Midsommar gets. I honestly find the relatively divisive nature of the early reviews more troubling than the inevitable low CinemaScore; we all know that the crowd that always loathes unconventional horror will hate this one, so it all comes down to how much of the crowd that loved Hereditary (which was sizable based on that film's relatively strong staying power) approves this time around.

• Like 1

Some more reviews have come in on RT. 94% now with an 8.28/10 average rating after 35. The MetaCritic equivalent remains pretty considerably lower at 73/100 with 16 and I don't know if it'll get up much higher.

16 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Some more reviews have come in on RT. 94% now with an 8.28/10 average rating after 35. The MetaCritic equivalent remains pretty considerably lower at 73/100 with 16 and I don't know if it'll get up much higher.

Lol this was right next to the Annabelle thread and I was soooooooo confused :lol: