That One Girl

Midsommar | July 3, 2019 | Florence Pugh, Jack Reynor, Will Poulter | A24 | Ari Aster (Hereditary) directing

This honestly feels like it's opening next week with almost no buzz despite the reviews. Releasing it against Spider-Man/on 4th of July was probably a big mistake even if it was never gonna be more than a midlevel performer at best. Thinking making as much as Hereditary's opening weekend ($13M) in total would be considered a minor win at this point.

1 hour ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

Scott Mendelson thinks this movie will get a D+ CinemaScore. He also said it was funny. I've read many critics saying the same thing ( that it has funny parts ). What's up with that? 

Have you seen any of Aster's short films? A few of them have a very wicked, very strange sense of humor. So... Not that surprising for me.

https://www.indiewire.com/2018/06/hereditary-director-ari-aster-short-films-1201973245/

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, filmlover said:

This honestly feels like it's opening next week with almost no buzz despite the reviews. Releasing it against Spider-Man/on 4th of July was probably a big mistake even if it was never gonna be more than a midlevel performer at best. Thinking making as much as Hereditary's opening weekend ($13M) in total would be considered a minor win at this point.

Was it though? Wouldn't this serve as good counter-programming? 

On 6/21/2019 at 10:04 AM, RealLyre said:

the tone seems lighter than Hereditary from the reactions/reviews. a lot of critics were saying it's very funny and hilarious. while the movie is probably still as messed up and disturbing as Hereditary, but adding a lot of humor could make it more audience friendly. Remember people HATED Hereditary a lot..  

No way. There are some details of the gore in this movie and it is martyr level shit. This thing is probably getting a D/D- in Cinemascore.

Edited by lorddemaxus

18 minutes ago, TMP said:

Was it though? Wouldn't this serve as good counter-programming? 

Considering this is likely gonna get a poor response from most of the people who see it (which is looking to be not many), probably not. :lol: Although who knows, maybe that running time will scare off the people who would've hated this had the marketing been visible enough to attract them.

53 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

No way. There are some details of the gore in this movie and it is martyr level shit. This thing is probably getting a D/D- in Cinemascore.

Well that's what has me intrigued. When's the last time we had a mainstream theatrical release that went full-out on the gore? Probably some of the early so I movies come to mine but I think using markers as a comparison is an apt one.

If Taxidermia were given a wide release, it might end up similar to this. I don't see how this film becomes more than a cult curiosity on home video. I'm not saying that's a bad thing. I'm just saying that's where it's heading.

Edited by ThePhasmid

Well there is no doubt that audiences are going to give it a bad Cinemascore and that's all that really matters. A lot of critics are hesitant in describing this as a horror movie as well. It's still early but presales so far haven't been that bad when you compare them to Annabelle at the same point. Of course, this is going to be more presale heavy, but I still can't see it performing like It Comes at Night. 

• Like 1