That One Girl

Midsommar | July 3, 2019 | Florence Pugh, Jack Reynor, Will Poulter | A24 | Ari Aster (Hereditary) directing

10 hours ago, filmlover said:

This honestly feels like it's opening next week with almost no buzz despite the reviews. Releasing it against Spider-Man/on 4th of July was probably a big mistake even if it was never gonna be more than a midlevel performer at best. Thinking making as much as Hereditary's opening weekend ($13M) in total would be considered a minor win at this point.

Yeah, I never really got the release date change. I think it would have done just fine in August.

32 minutes ago, Fanboy said:

Well there is no doubt that audiences are going to give it a bad Cinemascore and that's all that really matters. A lot of critics are hesitant in describing this as a horror movie as well. It's still early but presales so far haven't been that bad when you compare them to Annabelle at the same point. Of course, this is going to be more presale heavy, but I still can't see it performing like It Comes at Night. 

Yeah, I just checked the presales since Monday morning and they aren't bad for a movie being released by a minor distributor.

• Like 2

UK critics just got out of the screening. Robbie Collin says “it’s the film that has everything, laughter, a great cast, beautiful scenery and images that I want to scrub out of my head by shoving a woodworking file up my nostril”. Jamie East said “Midsommar will take a while to process, Holy Shit”. 

• Astonished 1

44 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

I'm reading some posts on reddit and some of them are mentioning walkouts, lol. 

It seems many people don't know what they're getting with this movie.

Hopefully this doesn't damage A24's reputation among the general audience. The relationship with cinephiles will always be intact, but if the film keeps making general audiences angry with the films they choose to put in wide release, then there might be money left on the table when it comes time for them to advertise mid-budget films in the future.

Edited by Slambros
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

The theater I saw it in (a tiny auditorium of around 50 seats, probably only around half full) didn't experience any walk-outs, I think Hereditary kind of weeded out the weak on this one and the fact that these people are willing to see Aster's next film while everyone else in the theater is seeing Spider-Man hopefully means they appreciate movies enough not to do that.

That said, when the credits rolled, the theater was completely silent and nobody got up for a good portion of the first set of credits. It's what I imagine the reaction would have been to Hereditary if the screenings weren't full of annoying teenagers.

I'm so interested to see what the Cinemascore will be. I can't imagine it gets an F.

2 minutes ago, harrisonisdead said:

The theater I saw it in (a tiny auditorium of around 50 seats, probably only around half full) didn't experience any walk-outs, I think Hereditary kind of weeded out the weak on this one and the fact that these people are willing to see Aster's next film while everyone else in the theater is seeing Spider-Man hopefully means they appreciate movies enough not to do that.

That said, when the credits rolled, the theater was completely silent and nobody got up for a good portion of the first set of credits. It's what I imagine the reaction would have been to Hereditary if the screenings weren't full of annoying teenagers.

I'm so interested to see what the Cinemascore will be. I can't imagine it gets an F.

without going into spoilers, what did you think of the movie? how does it compare with Hereditary?

21 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

without going into spoilers, what did you think of the movie? how does it compare with Hereditary?

It's a very, very different movie. Hereditary has a much more strict structure that it sticks to, and while it is surely uniquely disturbing, it follows horror conventions a lot more closely than Midsommar. Midsommar is its own beast. I get the feeling there will be plenty of people who liked Hereditary but will hate this movie. Or at least be disappointed. I am not personally one of those people, I thought it was excellent, but every way this movie strays from conventions is another reason for someone to dislike it. I won't overplay it because this is an inherently divisive film and every praise this movie gets is fuel for someone else's disappointment, but it's certainly one of the most strange and unique films I have ever seen. I felt quite rattled when the credits rolled.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

It seems many people don't know what they're getting with this movie.

Sounds like Hereditary all over again lol. Word of mouth will still be fine albeit polarizing.

• Like 1

I just came out of this. What in the hell did i just watch. Expect an F score. Noway that PostTrack score is right from Deadline. Must have only asked Aster fanboys for sure. At the exits people said this movie was just pure garbage of nothingness. Hereditary was a movie you could relate to and was a horror movie. This was more and art movie. Yikes!!

• Knock It Off 1