That One Girl

Midsommar | July 3, 2019 | Florence Pugh, Jack Reynor, Will Poulter | A24 | Ari Aster (Hereditary) directing

• Like 1

I know Aster's said there were more ceremonies that are probably going to be there, and a huge argument between Dani and Christian. If you go back to the main trailer, you can see glimpses of things that didn't make it into the theatrical cut that will probably be in the extended.

9 minutes ago, Morieris said:

The movie gave me nightmares as is, despite how I thought it was good. I couldn't handle going to see it again in the theater. I'll watch the deleted scenes when I can borrow the Blu-Ray and not pay 9$

Personally, I don't consider movies like this scary. Disturbing is the effect it has on me. Something like Hereditary ( @baumer's favourite!!) is more scary.

20 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Personally, I don't consider movies like this scary. Disturbing is the effect it has on me. Something like Hereditary ( @baumer's favourite!!) is more scary.

I actually haven't seen Hereditary, but I did read what happened ages ago. I'd say "I don't know if I'd be afraid of it", but I read this script / synopsis before too and.

Just now, Morieris said:

I actually haven't seen Hereditary, but I did read what happened ages ago. I'd say "I don't know if I'd be afraid of it", but I read this script / synopsis before too and.

It falls under the category of "creepy" I'd say, whereas Midsommar falls under the category of "disturbing", at least in my own opinion.

Any reports on the budget for this (sorry if it's already been asked)? It had the biggest drop in the top 15 this weekend (56.5%) and currently sits at $22,479,475 domestic.

I want to say I'm disappointed but then again, I saw this movie. It doesn't scream breakaway hit. That gross through 3 weekends actually feels kind of expected.

37 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Any reports on the budget for this (sorry if it's already been asked)? It had the biggest drop in the top 15 this weekend (56.5%) and currently sits at $22,479,475 domestic.

I want to say I'm disappointed but then again, I saw this movie. It doesn't scream breakaway hit. That gross through 3 weekends actually feels kind of expected.

Deadline

Pic cost under $10M we understand and A24 sold off foreign. P&A has largely been a social and digital push. 

Edited by harrisonisdead

I liked Hereditary but not this. The first 20 minutes or so is on par with Hereditary's quality but after it's not as good and it I was mostly bored with it thereafter unfortunately - a worldbuilding exercise but not much more. The last thing the movie needed is a lot more length to that end and even worse pacing.

1 minute ago, MagnarTheGreat said:

I liked Hereditary but not this. The first 20 minutes or so is on par with Hereditary's quality but after it's not as good and it I was mostly bored with it thereafter unfortunately - a worldbuilding exercise but not much more. The last thing the movie needed is a lot more length to that end and even worse pacing.

There's a helluva lot more to it than world-building, dude. 

loved this a lot. not as scary as Hereditary but its more unsettling with a satisfying conclusion. The cinematography is breathtaking, every shot is immaculately composited and the color scheme that goes brighter as the movie goes on emphasising Dani's journey from grief to isolation,break-up and then finally finding peace with herself. The surreal imagery is fascinating. Florence Pugh is superlatively mesmerizing. she stole every scene she was in, Ari Aster knows how to direct the hell out of his actors (as with Toni Collette in Hereditary). as usual with Aster, Midsommar is thematically disturbing. I loved the thematic underlying story that is of a woman seeking people that actually love her after being constantly dismissed and gaslit by her boyfriend (and others) after going through a tragedy is very powerful and touching. 

Ari Aster is quickly becoming one of my fav go to directors and I can't wait to see what he's up to next.

I have not seen that many movies this year (only about 25 or 26 with this one) but Florence Pugh's performance is by far the greatest followed by Lupita Nyong'o in Us and I'm pretty sure they will be overlooked at award season because the academy doesn't reward dramatic performances in horror movies. I hope I'm wrong though cus they both deserve a best actress nomination.

'

Edited by RealLyre
  • Like 3

On 7/23/2019 at 11:14 AM, RealLyre said:

loved this a lot. not as scary as Hereditary but its more unsettling with a satisfying conclusion. The cinematography is breathtaking, every shot is immaculately composited and the color scheme that goes brighter as the movie goes on emphasising Dani's journey from grief to isolation,break-up and then finally finding peace with herself. The surreal imagery is fascinating. Florence Pugh is superlatively mesmerizing. she stole every scene she was in, Ari Aster knows how to direct the hell out of his actors (as with Toni Collette in Hereditary). as usual with Aster, Midsommar is thematically disturbing. I loved the thematic underlying story that is of a woman seeking people that actually love her after being constantly dismissed and gaslit by her boyfriend (and others) after going through a tragedy is very powerful and touching. 

Ari Aster is quickly becoming one of my fav go to directors and I can't wait to see what he's up to next.

I have not seen that many movies this year (only about 25 or 26 with this one) but Florence Pugh's performance is by far the greatest followed by Lupita Nyong'o in Us and I'm pretty sure they will be overlooked at award season because the academy doesn't reward dramatic performances in horror movies. I hope I'm wrong though cus they both deserve a best actress nomination.

'

Pretty much summed up my thoughts too. Good call on the cinematography and Pugh's performance. Both were highlights of the film for me.