That One Girl

Midsommar | July 3, 2019 | Florence Pugh, Jack Reynor, Will Poulter | A24 | Ari Aster (Hereditary) directing

It's funny, I haven't read the script and I don't know anything about the film. I only know it's directed by Ari Aster and have seen the teaser. Yet, even I had a weird feeling about this. Weird as in, this light-ish teaser seems to be hinting towards something really fucked up. It gives me The Wicker Man vibes.

@Blaze Heatnix I don't want any spoilers necessarily, but do you mind PM'ing me and giving me a rough idea of the gore factor. That's something I have a tough time stomaching. My kind of horror is the Hereditary-like possession and supernatural kind.

Edited by JB33
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, JB33 said:

It's funny, I haven't read the script and I don't know anything about the film. I only know it's directed by Ari Aster and have seen the teaser. Yet, even I had a weird feeling about this. Weird as in, this light-ish teaser seems to be hinting towards something really fucked up. It gives me The Wicker Man vibes.

@Blaze Heatnix I don't want any spoilers necessarily, but do you mind PM'ing me and giving me a rough idea of the gore factor. That's something I have a tough time stomaching. My kind of horror is the Hereditary-like possession and supernatural kind.

No problem. I read a part of the script that has been leaked, but check your PM. 

• Like 1

I was reading a Cannes Film Festival article and saw that the film's title was being thrown out as a possibility for a showing at the festival. Whether it'd be In or Out of competition, I'm not very sure. Either way, that's pretty exciting in its own right.

• Like 1

https://www.vulture.com/2019/03/ari-aster-new-a24-movie-midsommar.html

Midsommar Will Be ‘a Wizard of Oz for Perverts,’ Says Director Ari Aster

It’s a breakup movie, in the same way that Hereditary is a family tragedy,” Aster shared. “It’s less overtly a horror movie, but it’s still working in that same space. It’s very macabre. But people shouldn’t go in expecting Hereditary.” When asked what he’d liken Midsommar to, if not Hereditary, Aster paused for a full minute. “Is it your Mamma Mia?” we asked. “Yeah, sure, I’d say so,” he laughed. “It’s a Wizard of Oz for perverts         

:thinking:

He also agreed that Toni Collette should have won an Oscar for her star turn in Hereditary as a demon-possessed dollhouse auteur. “Of course, she was snubbed!” he said. “It’s a horror film — and those are kind of traditionally maligned by the industry :wub:

2 hours ago, Taylor said:

Moves to July 3rd.

Well at least it isn't releasing the same day as Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark now. But still has notable competition. I'm sure it'll be fine, though. This movie's significantly less accessible than Hereditary anyhow. The audience of this and Annabelle won't intersect that much.

I really don't like the date change for this. I feel like it'll get lost in the shuffle in July, what with Spider-Man: Far From Home and The Lion King and all. Plus, August just felt perfect for it. There's a clusterfuck of other titles in August, but none that are BIG, outside of Hobbs and Shaw. It's the perfect month for a film like this because the main events of Summer are done and the less heralded movies can shine.

I don't know, I was just looking forward to this being one of my dog days of summer movies, kind of like The Meg and Searching last year, and Annabelle: Creation the year before.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, JB33 said:

I really don't like the date change for this. I feel like it'll get lost in the shuffle in July, what with Spider-Man: Far From Home and The Lion King and all. Plus, August just felt perfect for it. There's a clusterfuck of other titles in August, but none that are BIG, outside of Hobbs and Shaw. It's the perfect month for a film like this because the main events of Summer are done and the less heralded movies can shine.

I don't know, I was just looking forward to this being one of my dog days of summer movies, kind of like The Meg and Searching last year, and Annabelle: Creation the year before.

To be fair, Hereditary was a solid success, despite two 145M+ openers in the following weeks.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CoolEric258 said:

To be fair, Hereditary was a solid success, despite two 145M+ openers in the following weeks.

Good point. I guess from a business standpoint A24 knows what they're doing and my gripe is just personal. This felt like an August movie to me, as odd as that sounds.