That One Girl

Midsommar | July 3, 2019 | Florence Pugh, Jack Reynor, Will Poulter | A24 | Ari Aster (Hereditary) directing

4 hours ago, filmlover said:

Hereditary got a D+ CS grade and this already looks like an even weirder outing so there's no way this is getting anything but an F grade.

This is about to be significantly less accessible than Hereditary and if the GA were to see it they would most certainly despise it, but it's also not being advertised as much like a horror movie as Hereditary, and its weird indie genes are a lot more clear in its marketing so I feel like a big enough percentage of the opening day audience will be A24 and Ari Aster fans to offset it slightly, enough for it to get in the D range. 

Edited by harrisonisdead
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, harrisonisdead said:

This is about to be significantly less accessible than Hereditary and if the GA were to see it they would most certainly despise it, but it's also not being advertised as much like a horror movie as Hereditary, and its weird indie genes are a lot more clear in its marketing so I feel like a big enough percentage of the opening day audience will be A24 and Ari Aster fans to offset it slightly, enough for it to get in the D range. 

Yeah part of me is thinking this too. But that will also mean smaller box office, which I guess was inevitable. Hereditary had a much more marketable premise. I can see this performing like The Witch. 

2 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Does anyone know if that rumour about the white widescreen bars is true? New trailer didn’t have them 

Apparently the film has been in post-production since even after the release of the last trailer. A24 posted a photo on their instagram with Ari Aster in the editing room still putting final touches on the film, and it didn't seem to have the white bars. They may have scrapped it for whatever reason.

• Thanks 1

I feel like this has an interesting selling point which is a horror movie that's set almost entirely in bright daylight and with soft colorful tones. Might get a big horror audience for week 1 but then drop off a cliff with an F cinemascore though lol

• Haha 1
  • Knock It Off 1

43 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

Is this movie really getting a wide release? On RT it says limited. Might be a mistake from RT, though.

By the way, Jordan Peele has already watched it...

https://www.digitalspy.com/movies/a27848701/midsommar-2019-atrociously-disturbing-holy-shit-ending/

Most of my nearby cinemas have showtimes for it on July 3rd, and Hereditary directly went wide, so it's probably an error on their part.

• Like 2

the rest of the interview

https://ew.com/movies/2019/06/06/fangoria-jordan-peele-ari-aster-midsommar/

Jordan Peele : This movie is just so unique. This hasn’t existed yet, and anything after Midsommar is going to have to contend with it. I mean, this usurps The Wicker Man as the most iconic pagan movie to be referenced. It plays a weird sleight of hand, where it transcends the horror of itself. It is an ascension of horror. I didn’t feel victimized; I felt like I was being put up on this pedestal and honored through the eyes of the protagonist. It’s a very unique feeling for a film to conjure because after it ended, I found myself looking back at the final act like, “Holy s‑‑‑.” That was some of the most atrociously disturbing imagery I’ve ever seen on film, and yet I experienced it with this open-mouthed, wild-eyed gape. I think that part of how we get there is never reducing the villains to any kind of snarling monsters with an evil agenda.

:jeb!:

• Like 1
  • Astonished 5

Critics are starting to get invites to a June 18th screening, so we'll likely start getting reactions then.

• Like 3
  • Astonished 3