That One Girl

Midsommar | July 3, 2019 | Florence Pugh, Jack Reynor, Will Poulter | A24 | Ari Aster (Hereditary) directing

2 minutes ago, gadd said:

The Wrap review apparently spoils elements of the ending just in case people are thinking of reading.

If anything else I'm loving the notices for Pugh, she's a star in the making (her turn in the Little Drummer Girl was superb) and hopefully 2019 is to her what 2011 was to Jessica Chastain and 2015 to Alicia Vikander.

They also spoil a part of the set-up (which has been purposely kept a secret) in their review, and this spoiler also shows up in their Rotten Tomatoes quote so people should be wary of that.

Edited by harrisonisdead
  • Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

stupid movie is stupid movie. I knew IW would be great cause I could follow the spoiler synopsis without being confused who is where doing what. this thing is just stupid. 

You know films are meant to be understood by watching them, right? Not just reading a spoiler synopsis. That's kind of the point of telling a story visually. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RealLyre said:

Hearing this is more audience friendly than hereditary 🤔

A2H30 minutes movie about hellish paganism feels 4 quadrant to me.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, That One Guy said:

Finally, we have the take of someone who didn’t watch the movie but read spoilers on 4chan without seeing how they work within the context of the movie

And you know when he eventually does watch it he'll already have his mind made up that the movie sucks and go "SEE? I WAS RIGHT."

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Valonqar said:

stupid movie is stupid movie. I knew IW would be great cause I could follow the spoiler synopsis without being confused who is where doing what. this thing is just stupid. 

5 hours ago, Alli said:

I hope this is not like US, where critics blew it and gave raves to an awful movie. Hereditary was absolutely brilliant, but so was GET OUT. Hoping for the best

Related image

• Haha 1

this movie looks weird , never saw Heredity, don't care what critics think, their opinions are used skewed by politics or fears of losing Disney press passes, will check out for Florence and for simply being an alternative to the dreck the majors put out during the Summer season

• ...wtf 1
  • Knock It Off 2

9 hours ago, Rorschach said:

I very excited for this movie but I'm probably more excited to read the extremely negative reviews @baumer and @Blankments are gonna give it.

At least I'll see it. I'll let you know my thoughts lol

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • ...wtf 1

3 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

I think that's hard to believe. Based on the script and some comments from critics saying audiences will hate this movie, no way this movie is audience friendly.

Yeah, based on your comments on the script I can't imagine this being more audience friendly.

I guess it depends on how you define audience friendly though. Audiences these days are weird when it comes to horror. They really don't appreciate the subtle, psychological horror of a film like Hereditary, whereas a film like Midsommar might be more brutal to watch but more audience friendly in that it's more straightforward 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JB33 said:

Audiences these days are weird when it comes to horror. They really don't appreciate the subtle, psychological horror of a film like Hereditary, whereas a film like Midsommar might be more brutal to watch but more audience friendly in that it's more straightforward 

I'm not even sure if I'd say that. This film at least admits it's a cult from the beginning, but it's still very psychological and metaphorical, perhaps even more metaphorical than Hereditary.  

1 minute ago, Fanboy said:

I'm not even sure if I'd say that. This film at least admits it's a cult from the beginning, but it's still very psychological and metaphorical, perhaps even more metaphorical than Hereditary.  

Well then in that case I definitely can't see it being more audience friendly than Hereditary. For myself, even if it's a really good film I know it will be harder for me to watch, based on what I've heard (not even spoilers, just general comments on the film's tone and stuff). I don't handle blood and gore very well. 

However, I loved Hereditary so I'm not going to miss Ari Aster's next film, that's for sure. I'll give it a shot.

The CinemaScore is gonna be interesting for this movie. I mean, Hereditary got a D+, but also had a lot of fans who enjoyed it.

Now, folks who hated Hereditary ( most of them were probably the reason Hereditary got a D+ ) will probably avoid this movie like the plague, given the marketing and promotion stating the "from the same director of Hereditary" line.

So, perhaps most of the audience for Midsommar is gonna be people who liked Hereditary and would watch this one, no matter what. Midsommar seems to have some elements from Hereditary ( including pacing and a rocky third act ) and is almost 20 minutes longer. So, whoever hated Hereditary, won't be returning for this one.

That's my guess. 

Edited by Blaze Heatnix
  • Like 2