NickDisney13

Fantasy Island | February 14, 2020 | Sony/Blumhouse | Michael Pena, Lucy Hale

8 hours ago, Boxofficerules said:

This has opened in a few countries today and some reviews have appeared on letterbox. As of now, none are positive, most seem to be 2-2.5. Common complaints state that the twist is overly complicated and confusing, and the movie isn’t what was sold in the trailers.

In other words, it looks like it getting the same kind of critical reception that Wadrow's other films got...…

Edited by dudalb

53 minutes ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

Yikes, BlumHouse is going back to where they were back in 2014/2015. At least Invisible Man is looking like a huge break-out, they need it.

The genre needs it too. 

4 wide releases so far this year and nothing over $22m. 

edit: the Presales thread actually looks pretty promising for this. I’d take a $10m+ 3 day as a win at this point. 

Edited by Krissykins

2 hours ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

Yikes, BlumHouse is going back to where they were back in 2014/2015. At least Invisible Man is looking like a huge break-out, they need it.

It had better be a success; I think it's by far the biggest budget film Blumhouse has ever done.

29 minutes ago, Boxofficerules said:

I think they’ve done stuff for $10 million, Glass, Halloween.

Yeah, Blumhouse has been pretty much American International Pictures for the 21st Century; Make Low Budget Genre Films with a guaranteed base which means it's unlikely you will lose money if you keep the budgets low enough.

Difference is that AIP ,though Horror/Cheap Sci Fi were there mainstay, would occasionally take a flyer in another genre (in the 60's they made most of the now forgotten Beach Party Movies with Annette Funicello  and whatever one hit wonder pop star was hot this month  considered crappy movies even in the 1960's but very lucrative) where, so far, Blumhouse is sticking to horror.

Edited by dudalb

1 hour ago, Krissykins said:

The genre needs it too. 

4 wide releases so far this year and nothing over $22m. 

edit: the Presales thread actually looks pretty promising for this. I’d take a $10m+ 3 day as a win at this point. 

IDK what's going on the marketing department, but BH is losing their touch with teens audiences. A movie like this would've easily opened at $20m two years ago. 

12 minutes ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

Wait, what's the budget of this movie?

God, I was wrong, Invisible Man has a 7 Million dollar budget....

.I thought it would at least be in the 25 Milllion category.

Gobsmacked. I though that Universal being involved as a partner would have gotten it a bigger budget then normal for Blumhouse simply because Universal might want a certain level of production value for a major release.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

IDK what's going on the marketing department, but BH is losing their touch with teens audiences. A movie like this would've easily opened at $20m two years ago. 

Who Knows?

I still think even teens connected Fantasy Island with the cheesy TV Show (which is still widely rerun today) and are skeptical about turning into a Horror Franchise.

1 hour ago, Krissykins said:

Budgets are apparently:

$7m for Fantasy Island

$9m for The Invisible Man

It's really unusual for a film that is a major release by a major studio..on this case Universal/Invisible Man to have that low a budget nowdays.

Minor release...which is what SOny is treating Fantasy Island as,yes, but not a major release.which is what Universal is giving Invisible Man.

5 hours ago, Boxofficerules said:

They’re both Australian critics and the movie opened there yesterday. Can they enforce an embargo in those circumstances? It’s supposed to life noon on Friday.

I think once a film opens anywhere, an embargo is silly. 'ANyway, never forget that the only way a studio has to enforce an embargo is banning the people who broke it from future screenings, and, let's face it, Blumhouse's muscle in this pretty weak, and SONY I don't think wants to stir up a major controversy with critics ..who will support their bretheren...over a throw away minor release.