NickDisney13

Ready or Not | Fox Searchlight | 21 AUG 2019 | Samara Weaving, Andie MacDowell, Adam Brody

This is opening... everywhere around me. Even in small towns that don't usually get this type of content. 

Late August strikes again. Hopefully this time it means I get to watch a really enjoyable movie I didn't expect

Should have used The Fugees (original or remix) in the trailers, kind of a cliché at this point, but it helps a trailer get talked about, plus the opening lines really would have worked here:

So many people think it's Margot Robbie in this, plus I just learned of Emma Mackey, another Margot lookalike besides Samara, or maybe we should say they all resemble Jaime Pressly? Someone put together a project where they're all sisters or clones or alternate universe versions of each other...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Should have used The Fugees (original or remix) in the trailers, kind of a cliché at this point, but it helps a trailer get talked about, plus the opening lines really would have worked here:

So many people think it's Margot Robbie in this, plus I just learned of Emma Mackey, another Margot lookalike besides Samara, or maybe we should say they all resemble Jaime Pressly? Someone put together a project where they're all sisters or clones or alternate universe versions of each other...

I like how the song samples the theme of the movie Sleepwalkers

• Like 1

Movie was totally fun. Weaving (looks like she's Hugo Weaving's niece) is terrific and I really liked the supporting cast. Its got some issues with pacing and it really tried to do the horror/dark comedy thing, but it didn't quite stick the landing on the tone. Don't get me wrong, its no Very Bad Things (my personal standard-setter for really dark comedy), but its worth seeing before its likely imminent disappearance from theaters.

Weaving has good comic timing and delivery, has most of the funniest lines, and gets a lot of entertainment mileage out of her character's surprisingly prolific profanity.

Seeing this on Sunday I think. It was between this and Angel Has Fallen for us but I think we'll see AHF next weekend when there isn't anything new anyways (besides Don't Let Go, which I doubt the local theatre is getting anyway).

Should be the right choice. It looks fun and unique.

9 hours ago, Wrath said:

Movie was totally fun. Weaving (looks like she's Hugo Weaving's niece) is terrific and I really liked the supporting cast. Its got some issues with pacing and it really tried to do the horror/dark comedy thing, but it didn't quite stick the landing on the tone. Don't get me wrong, its no Very Bad Things (my personal standard-setter for really dark comedy), but its worth seeing before its likely imminent disappearance from theaters.

Weaving has good comic timing and delivery, has most of the funniest lines, and gets a lot of entertainment mileage out of her character's surprisingly prolific profanity.

Should watch The Babysitter (netflix movie), another comedy/horror film in which she stars. She's v. good in that (and v. hot)

(and the film's good too)

Edited by Avatree
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, La Binoche said:

This was....ok? Def overrated by critics. It is because it's considered "social horror" since a couple of characters complain about rich people  being ass holes? 

I do mostly agree with this. I thought the movie was solid and fun, but it certainly had its flaws and isn't remotely worthy of the excellent ratings its getting at RT, which I also assume result from the movie being at least superficially anti-rich.

Which isn't really a fair comparison. The Le Domas family isn't a random group of rich folks, they've got... other things going on. Plus, virtually everyone in the movie is well drawn, even including Justin, the hapless OnStar guy.

Edited by Wrath
  • Like 2