baumer

The Spy Who Dumped Me (2018)

Grade it  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

By any conventional measure, The Spy Who Dumped Me shouldn’t be a good film. It tells a generic story, doesn’t spend much time developing its characters despite a near-two-hour running time, and often feels like it isn’t going far enough in embracing its zanier elements. And yet… I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it. Chalk it up as a guilty pleasure whose ability to make me laugh supersedes all its shortcomings. The chemistry between Mila Kunis and Kate McKinnon carries the film. Kunis is an excellent straight woman who plays her character’s fish-out-of-water nature to strong comedic effect; it’s the kind of performance I think the Wachowskis wanted to get out of her in Jupiter Ascending, and it works better in an openly comedic context. McKinnon steals nearly every scene she’s in with the same go-for-broke aplomb she brings to every role, and her rapport with Kunis sells their characters’ close friendship despite the script’s limited efforts to establish their relationship before the action kicks into gear. As disposable entertainment goes, The Spy Who Dumped Me makes for an enjoyable two hours.

B

Stray Thoughts:

- Dear Hollywood: You know as well as I do that Kate McKinnon is damn funny. You also know as well as I do that she's openly gay and could easily play the next big lesbian screen icon. Please stop fooling around with these ostensibly heterosexual or only implicitly homosexual (hi, Ghostbusters) roles and just let her provide the lesbian representation she's capable of doing and so many of us would love to see. K-Thanx-Bye.

- I know it's dumb, but I laughed my ass off at the "best friends' secrets" routine Kunis and McKinnon rattled off while being held captive by the psychopathic gymnast.

Kate McKinnon's case is grating. She can be funny as seen in SNL but so far her comedic energy is either misused playing unfunny characters or she's painfully trying hard to be the female Jim Carrey pulling stupid faces and voices randomly out of whack "See how batshit nutty I am!" bordering on pathetic (also she's an editor nightmare, it's continuity shot error galore since she seems to be inconsistent from take to take so the editor has a hard time finding two coherent takes of hers that can be assembled as a single coherent sequence)

By the way, can we talk about the stunts in this? (Like Justin Theroux seemingly jumping out of a building in one single shot?!) I didn't expect to get The Raid style level of crazy parkour stunts on camera in a lame R-rated american comedy.

Although I loved how Kev Adams got his face splattered (The Uber driver during the chase in Prague), he's an insufferable french "comedian".

Edited by dashrendar44