sfran43

Weekend Thread: | Estimates (per BOM) ~ M:I-F 35M, DCR 25.003M, TSWDM 12.35M, MM!HWGA 9.09M, TE2 8.83M, HT3:SV 8.2M, AMatW 6.188M, TDM 5.8M

24 minutes ago, Curtis1986 said:

those 30 + or 40 + million for Christopher Robin is not looking too good

Yeah...I said presales were looking poor for that kinda number (starting on Monday)...then theater sets and showings weren't looking good...and it seems (for the moment, b/c the weekend is still to come), I was right...

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, a2k said:

Wrinkle had 1.3 previews outside summer. Had a 25x weekend multiplier for 33 ow. Summer ows are more preview heavy and CR may find it tough to beat 20*1.5 = 30 ow. 100+ dom still likely imo, with an ow close to Wrinkle and better legs. 

Hide contents

may get a push towards the end if falling short :ph34r:

CR is for little kids tho. The 7PM previews...they are in bed at that time. lol  

3 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Yeah...I said presales were looking poor for that kinda number (starting on Monday)...then theater sets and showings weren't looking good...and it seems (for the moment, b/c the weekend is still to come), I was right...

agree. The movie only appeared on movietickets.com top five on Wednesday afternoon.  plus the buzz from kids were low and Disney hiding the reviews didn't increase people's interest.  plus this movie is about a grown man who goes back to play with his stuffed animals. Why would kids be interested in that. Disney would have been better off making a feature film based off the Winnie the Pooh and his friends.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Alli said:

true, but this live action seems more grown up and serious for a Pooh movie. The demos age-group won't be much dissimilar to WiT imo.

Edited by a2k
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Alli said:

More a young kids/ family movie.  Surprised they didn't do the 4pm/5pm previews so many movies are dong. 

Trans 3 had 5pm previews and $2.6m preview.  I'd say at least 20-25% came from the early preview showings - w/o it it would have done around $2m and a 22x multi instead of 17

BFG had a 24.5 multi (though a holiday w/e buffered it a bit).  I don't see a 20x+ for CR as out of the question. 

• Like 1

Just now, a2k said:

true, but this live action seems more grown up and serious for a Pooh movie. The demos won't be much dissimilar to WiT imo.

I agree - I mentioned yesterday, they should have marketed to seniors and Disney fans b/c those trailers did not scream "little kid" or even "kid" to me...and I'm not sure the actual movie does either, looking at the critics...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jim Shorts said:

Doesn’t bode well for the CR/BP drive in doubles.

Were they doing doubles for that?   They want to boost BP but that's not a good pairing - BP is too adult and violent.   Same reason they didn't have AIW with I2.  They have I2 AM&TW instead.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Were they doing doubles for that?   They want to boost BP but that's not a good pairing - BP is too adult and violent.   Same reason they didn't have AIW with I2.  They have I2 AM&TW instead.

Nothing like a grown man having to reconcile with his childhood for heartwarming feels followed by seeing your King tossed off into the river.

• Knock It Off 1

41 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Should be about $25M for the weekend which should lead to $75-80M total. Can't imagine the budget was very high so Disney will likely be pleased.

I'm guessing $60-65m similar to Pete's Dragon. 

Wonder why studios don't want to release any big in August? Suicide Squad and Guardians proved you can have huge numbers in that month. 

There's a strong chance The Meg might be number 1 next week. 

Edited by Jonwo

Hope that Spy doesn’t turn into Rough Night or Hot Pursuit  2.0.

Christopher Robin isn’t a big one for the families. So A Wrinkle In Time esque run will happen.

Darkest Minds well it”ll die darker than the title even suggests.

• Like 1