NickDisney13

Hustlers | Sept 13th, 2019 | STX | Jennifer Lopez, Constance Wu | 25th Most Profitable Movie of 2019

I'm still trying to figure out the target audience here.

Is it going to be women watching women being strong in underwear or is it men watching it for the same reason, women watched Magic Mike? 

Watching the trailer, I'm not feeling the tracking, but usually, if a relatively unknown movie tracks this big, it has a reason.

11 minutes ago, Poseidon said:

Is it going to be women watching women being strong in underwear or is it men watching it for the same reason, women watched Magic Mike? 

Watching the trailer, I'm not feeling the tracking, but usually, if a relatively unknown movie tracks this big, it has a reason.

Why did men want to see Wolf of Wall Street? People like crime/heist stories. Women want to see stars they like in an edgier Robin Hood/Ocean's 8.  The trailers and ads are short but you can tell the movie is about the women and is going to explore their motivations, how they relate to each other and how they got to this place in life. 

There will be women watching Hustlers to ogle the cast too, but any woman can get an insight into what "really" goes on in strip clubs or see women "turn the tables" on powerful men. They can leave the movie wanting to take a pole dancing class or dare to dream they will have a body like JLo at 50.

Straight women have been seeing R-rated movies with scantily-clad/naked women for decades: action movies, horror movies, comedies. At least here it actually makes sense for the setting and the story is from a female perspective.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Poseidon said:

The target audience is obviously women and gay men ..... 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Poseidon said:

Women, gay men, music fans, straight boyfriends who are dragged along lol. 

Then all the individual cast members’ fan bases. 

2 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

Lowkey wondering if this could have a nutso run and get 40M on OW. Great reviews at TIFF would help

If any mid-budget film can tap into the culture and pull off a stunt like that, I think it's this one.

I know STX would appreciate that for sure.

THE 9 BUZZIEST WORLD PREMIERES AT THE TORONTO INTERNATIONAL FILM FESTIVAL

(...)

HUSTLERS (2019)

Why are we’re excited about it: You had us at Cardi B and Lizzo. Add Jennifer Lopez doing incredible acrobatic flips on a stripper pole, and some honest-to-goodness Magic Mike vibes, and this one should be a hit with audiences. Given Lorene Scafaria‘s (Nick and Norah’s Infinite Playlist) impressive script and tight direction, and what many are calling J. Lo’s career-best performance, don’t be surprised if awards accolades follow the film’s box office success. 

https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/article/the-9-buzziest-world-premieres-at-the-toronto-international-film-festival/

I think it might be difficult for STX to get Lopez nominated for this, because in 2017, Jessica Chastain was 6th place, just outside the competition, for STX's film Molly's Game, and this year's field seems to be a bit more competitive. But, well, some are already falling out of the race (Lupita Nyong'o is out, Kristen Stewart is out), and because I'm sure JLo will want to campaign pretty hard, I think she might have a chance if the film is a sleeper hit. A good landmark would be grossing above the sleeper hit Good Boys.

Edited by SLAM!