NickDisney13

Hustlers | Sept 13th, 2019 | STX | Jennifer Lopez, Constance Wu | 25th Most Profitable Movie of 2019

2 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

she actually started in movies and then transitioned to becoming a music star. 90% of the time that doesn't work. her and jeremy renner are the only successful examples i can think of.

She started in television before transitioning to movies and then to music. Also, calling Jeremy Renner a music star is absurd given his complete lack of success in that medium. Releasing a song or an album does not make you a music star.

Ya know, if Lopez had continued along the path paved by Selena/Out of Sight/heck even The Cell and not fully embraced the celebrity side of the business between choosing only the fluffiest of movie vehicles and just overall being a brand and a tabloid fixture, it actually seems plausible that she might've been nominated for or even won an Oscar by now. It's so easy to forget how much promise she showed in the early years of her career.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

She started in television before transitioning to movies and then to music. Also, calling Jeremy Renner a music star is absurd given his complete lack of success in that medium. Releasing a song or an album does not make you a music star.

You gotta be kidding me

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Dern 

Streep (duh)

Lopez

Awkwafina's granny?

One of Bombshell ladies? 

Someone from Little Women. I'm not sure about the setup of the film who is main/lead/supporting/ensemble (if there is a lead) but Saoirse Ronan and Florence Pugh i bet will kill it.

Edited by Avatree

2 minutes ago, Avatree said:

Someone from Little Women. I'm not sure about the setup of the film who is main/lead/supporting/ensemble (if there is a lead) but Saoirse Ronan and Florence Pugh i bet will kill it.

Saoirse is def lead. Florence will probably be supporting 

1 minute ago, ban1o said:

Saoirse is def lead. Florence will probably be supporting 

Thanks. I'll stan for Florence Pugh, in fact, she should be nominated Best Actress for midsommar and Best Actress for the fighting film too.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, filmlover said:

Your enemy Florence Pugh.

Nah, I don't mind Pugh in supporting (she's not happening for that trash Midsommar that even Hemorrhoids didn't like so that's good enough for me) and better Pugh than Meryl who's unfortunately happening. Like, can't she stop taking the spot from actresses that would be a career boost? 

That said, the girl from Jojo Rabbit could be in conversation too, maybe even Scarlett though her priority is Marriage Story (more prestigious category). 

BTW, People is not exactly precise. Hustlers is not getting glowing reviews, JLo is. The movie is generally called fun but shallow so it's not a contender. Nobody is suggesting otherwise. The awards talk is strictly with Lopez.

Edited by Valonqar

2 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Nah, I don't mind Pugh in supporting (she's not happening for that trash Midsommar that even Hemorrhoids didn't like so that's good enough for me) and better Pugh than Meryl who's unfortunately happening. Like, can't she stop taking the spot from actresses that would be a career boost? 

That said, the girl from Jojo Rabbit could be in conversation too, maybe even Scarlett though her priority is Marriage Story (more prestigious category). 

Don't worry about Meryl Streep. The Laundromat doesn't have the reviews and her role in Little Women is too small. There's a reason why she didn't get in the Supporting category for Suffragette in 2015. Her missing is rare, but there is a precedent. Don't underestimate all the younger voters that recently joined the Academy.

But yeah, I could see Jennifer Lopez being a lock if she's campaigned for Supporting. The field actually seems kind of weak... much weaker than a year like 2017.

1 minute ago, SLAM! said:

Don't worry about Meryl Streep. The Laundromat doesn't have the reviews and her role in Little Women is too small. There's a reason why she didn't get in the Supporting category for Suffragette in 2015. Her missing is rare, but there is a precedent. Don't underestimate all the younger voters that recently joined the Academy.

But yeah, I could see Jennifer Lopez being a lock if she's campaigned for Supporting. The field actually seems kind of weak... much weaker than a year like 2017.

uu9pmDP.gif

I think that Lopez should comfortably hit GG and CC (question is only whether placement will be Supporting or Comedy for she could score in either). SAG-AFTRA should go with her due to increased number of music industry voters in that Guild. BAFTA is likely going to snub her in favor of some Brit (eg Smith in Downtown Abbey or someshit). So 3 precursors out of 4 main is very good and we know that those who hit all 4 can miss and those who miss any combo of precursors can still get in.

1 minute ago, Napoleon said:

Up to 94% on Rotten Tomatoes with 17 reviews, only 1 negative.

Nice! This movie is becoming quite the story. Hopefully this opens to $30M+, It Chapter Two holds well and we get a pretty damn solid weekend.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, JB33 said:

Cool club, but I'm out. I think Dark Fate will have enough believers to power a healthy OW.

Possible but legs will be shit because only hard core Terminator fans will show up. The franchise has no room to grow. OTOH, Hustlers may develop strong legs and have second weekend over DF's when DF crashes and burns. 

CA is a toast methinks.

26 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Possible but legs will be shit because only hard core Terminator fans will show up. The franchise has no room to grow. OTOH, Hustlers may develop strong legs and have second weekend over DF's when DF crashes and burns. 

CA is a toast methinks.

Oh yeah, I would be in for CA all the way. Still haven't decided on DF. I'm interested in seeing how the marketing is.