NickDisney13

Hustlers | Sept 13th, 2019 | STX | Jennifer Lopez, Constance Wu | 25th Most Profitable Movie of 2019

Based on the RT score, audience reaction to the film seems to be a lot more lukewarm than the critics. 

Seems like a lot of people were disappointed that Cardi B and Lizzo weren’t a bigger part of the film.

Edited by Giggi

1 hour ago, Giggi said:

Based on the RT score, audience reaction to the film seems to be a lot more lukewarm than the critics. 

Seems like a lot of people were disappointed that Cardi B and Lizzo weren’t a bigger part of the film.

Unavoidable if you have music stars in the movie. Their fans show up for them, not the content, and then trash the movie if roles are small. 

Edited by Valonqar

1 hour ago, shayhiri said:

This is the polar opposite of a 4-quadrant movie.

Coloured female under 30ies are the only ones that will see this - but unfortunately it will be enough to make it a "hit".

Yeah god for bid  that a Critically acclaimed film Becomes box office hit

Edited by Curtis1986

7 hours ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

IDK, I was looking up reviews on Youtube yesterday and saw some "Hustlers is as dangerous as Joker" and "The PC critics are wrong about Hustlers!" type results. One from a channel with "Chad" in the name, so I wasn't clicking on that. 

Overall, I agree many straight men won't think it's the worst thing ever if they get "dragged" to see Hustlers by their wives/girlfriends, or really want to see it themselves. They might like it, or not, and that’s fine. 

That's actually what incels are all about. They want to get laid by hot women yet they are not able to do it. So they become sexually repressed and full of hatred for women.But, If they are given the chance to have even a sniff of the body smell of Jennifer Lopez or Constance Wu, those men will take it all in as if it is their last breath-in.

In other words, those so-called "women-hating, conservative, heterosexual men" might hate Hustlers on the surface and give it an extremely low score, but I bet that they will be the first ones to rush to the cinema on the opening night. They want to watch the movie but they will never admit it. 

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, WeneedtotalkaboutKevin said:

That's actually what incels are all about. They want to get laid by hot women yet they are not able to do it. So they become sexually repressed and full of hatred for women.But, If they are given the chance to have even a sniff of the body smell of Jennifer Lopez or Constance Wu, those men will take it all in as if it is their last breath-in.

In other words, those so-called "women-hating, conservative, heterosexual men" might hate Hustlers on the surface and give it an extremely low score, but I bet that they will be the first ones to rush to the cinema on the opening night. They want to watch the movie but they will never admit it. 

I doubt it is that deep, a couple people complaining on the internet means nothing. It sucks that everything has to turn into a culture war these days.

• Like 2

On 9/11/2019 at 5:24 PM, Giggi said:

Wasn’t twitter angry at Cardi B just a couple months ago when it came out she use to drug and rob men when she worked as a stripper?

Remember all those memes comparing her to R kelly and Bill Cosby?

Now she is in a movie about strippers robbing men that is getting rave reviews... the world is too funny sometimes, I am starting to wonder if her publicist leaked those tapes of her admitting that in order to increase PR for the movie.

Anyways this movie looks right up my alley, I’ll probably go see it this weekend. My guess it will make a healthy 25-30 millions this weekend. Women will definitely want to see it because if the girl power aspect and since it’s a stripper movie with attractive leads that could help drawn in male audiences.

to hell with strippers!!

all this stuff shouldn't exist

why do people support it anyways?  why do their minds think the way they do?

4 hours ago, belligerent talking robot said:

are any Jedi or force users strippers?

Hustlers fails the Star Wars test

c0efd7c97c26e7c9381aeaceabd05452f5a05dc7

Actually, the MOST famous female Jedi took the FIRST chance she got to be a professional half-naked dancer - and was pretty LEWD about it.

Yeah, it was just a phase for her - but it is for 99% of strippers. It only works while they are young. That's why Jello and the Chinese aunt shouldn't even be in this movie.

25 minutes ago, shayhiri said:

c0efd7c97c26e7c9381aeaceabd05452f5a05dc7

Actually, the MOST famous female Jedi took the FIRST chance she got to be a professional half-naked dancer - and was pretty LEWD about it.

Yeah, it was just a phase for her - but it is for 99% of strippers. It only works while they are young. That's why Jello and the Chinese aunt shouldn't even be in this movie.

yeah well we aren't slaves to that era anymore so we can just forget about any of that and call it a big FAIL.

14 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Haven't watched the movie have you?  She was captured and enslaved and freed herself by strangling Jaba with her chain.

did she try to raise Jabba at all?  that would be funny if she grabbed him by the wrist.

Edited by every single jedi includin

13 hours ago, every single jedi includin said:

are any Jedi or force users strippers?

Hustlers fails the Star Wars test

Twi'leks dress like strippers and work as such a lot. They are basically SW equivalent to Trek's Orion Slave Girls.

this is a canon Jedi (AOTC arena):

200px-Twilekfemale.jpg

she died in ROTS:

latest?cb=20130202032956

I think Jlo would fit the Jedi stripper bill even better. She has better moves. 

Kinda loved this? But anyone expecting the whole movie to be like the trailer might be disappointed when the movie takes a dramatic turn. I wouldn't say it rises to the level of a bait-and-switch. The premise is pretty dark, it should have given people the hint that the whole movie wasn't going to be a barrel of laughs. 

It felt like JLo was in the movie maybe 5 percent less than Constance Wu; there have been Best Actress winners with less relative screentime than her. They will probably push her in the category that seems like a safer bet, but honestly I think she should go lead.

Wu is quite good in this as well, Lopez just has a more flamboyant character.

The "...and Cardi B" credit was clearly in exchange for them using her song in every single trailer/ad, right? And if anybody went in thinking Lizzo had anything important to do here, bless their hearts.

• Like 1

Will be seeing this tomorrow. I don't mind the bait-and-switch, if you can call it that, because I didn't need the whole movie to be a barrel of laughs. If it's serious, then that means the main characters took the endeavour seriously, which means I the audience can take it seriously too.

4 hours ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Kinda loved this? But anyone expecting the whole movie to be like the trailer might be disappointed when the movie takes a dramatic turn. I wouldn't say it rises to the level of a bait-and-switch. The premise is pretty dark, it should have given people the hint that the whole movie wasn't going to be a barrel of laughs. 

It felt like JLo was in the movie maybe 5 percent less than Constance Wu; there have been Best Actress winners with less relative screentime than her. They will probably push her in the category that seems like a safer bet, but honestly I think she should go lead.

Wu is quite good in this as well, Lopez just has a more flamboyant character.

The "...and Cardi B" credit was clearly in exchange for them using her song in every single trailer/ad, right? And if anybody went in thinking Lizzo had anything important to do here, bless their hearts.

BIG SPOILER questions

Spoiler

I've reviews about women standing up together and all the kumbaya stuff but  in reality the two ringleaders took most of the money shortchanging the others (like pimps) and in the end when caught they all turned on each other.  Does that still happen in the movie?

23 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

BIG SPOILER questions

Reveal hidden contents

Answers

Spoiler

Yes and no, the dynamic between the women overall is a little less cutthroat than the article. The closest thing it kept is probably the relationship between the ringleaders, it's alternately warm and contentious and complicated, but they did soften the edges a little. They're not really shown as trying to take most of money for the two of them and giving the rest a pittance, though JLo always seems to be looking at a way for them to get more and more money while cutting out the middle man.  If a girl doesn't show up for a date, then JLo won't want to pay her, but she's not presented as wanting to cheat the other strippers in the scheme out of a fair share. Eventually someone in the operation does flip, but you also see one try to warn another about the cops coming. You don't really see a lot of Reinhart or Palmer's characters when they are in custody.

• Thanks 1