NickDisney13

Hustlers | Sept 13th, 2019 | STX | Jennifer Lopez, Constance Wu | 25th Most Profitable Movie of 2019

I just read the article the movie is based on. Most fun begins when they turn on each other. And turned they did. I assume movie's going to be more like a fairytale where they work together, fool DEA and come out as victors but in reality they were claws out against each other trying to save their own skin. Great read. 

https://www.thecut.com/2015/12/robin-hood-strippers-scores-c-v-r.html#_ga=2.252492877.575719575.1567782181-712976657.1561135771

Read an actual reviews. JLo may happen for they call for her nomination that she'll be the sole nomination. The movie's fun but shallow as per reviews and supporting cast isn't getting awards notices, so JLo would be the only above the line nominee (don't know if it has a shot at some below the lines ones). 

So lets see the path for her. Comedy submission at Globes. Could easily become SAG thing for they are not just actors but lots of music industry people too now (SAG-AFTRA). Likely misses BAFTA in favor of a British contender. May pick up some critics award along the way (Broadcast critics?). So potential is there. Who else is solid for a nom outside of Zelly and Scarjo? Meryl is going supporting no? So that's 3 spots left.

I'd say if Jlo happens, Awkwafina can forget it. Both won't get in and JLo boxoffice and later-in-the-year buzz could propel JLo. OTOH, Awjwafina movie might be among Picture nominees which is a boost and she'll at least get a Globe nom. 

6 minutes ago, Alli said:

Most movies at these festivals get "omg best movie ever" reactions. Calm down!

Yep, what matters is how things look in November and December. 

Like, I literally read "the funniest movie of the year for both Knives out and this. That tells you all you need to know. :lol:

Still, good for JLo who was actually praised for her old movies according to Wiki (Semina and Out of Sight).

That's great but lets wait for reception of movies that have been at the front since Venice/Telluride first and whether those praised performances loose their shine in the wake of Jlo sun. Zelly, Scarlett, whoever else is there. It's a good omen for Jennifer (though the rest including movie are not happening) but lets see if status quo changes or favorites remain favorites with Jennifer joining their ranks. 

I know that possibility of a music star breaking into Best Actress always attracts lots of attention but lets see how TIFF proceeds. I'm sure more praise is on the way for Erivo, Charlize, Portman, etc as well as already seen and praised actresses from other festivals.

Edited by Valonqar

For the record, these reviews are not exclusively from TIFF attendees, it's been screening to press for a week or so and the embargo only lifted after its premiere at the festival, similar to Joker which had screened in the US for members of smaller publications alongside the trades covering Venice.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Read an actual reviews. JLo may happen for they call for her nomination that she'll be the sole nomination. The movie's fun but shallow as per reviews and supporting cast isn't getting awards notices, so JLo would be the only above the line nominee (don't know if it has a shot at some below the lines ones). 

So lets see the path for her. Comedy submission at Globes. Could easily become SAG thing for they are not just actors but lots of music industry people too now (SAG-AFTRA). Likely misses BAFTA in favor of a British contender. May pick up some critics award along the way (Broadcast critics?). So potential is there. Who else is solid for a nom outside of Zelly and Scarjo? Meryl is going supporting no? So that's 3 spots left.

I'd say if Jlo happens, Awkwafina can forget it. Both won't get in and JLo boxoffice and later-in-the-year buzz could propel JLo. OTOH, Awjwafina movie might be among Picture nominees which is a boost and she'll at least get a Globe nom. 

Awkwafina is a lead and JLo reportedly supporting in non similar movies.

I don't understand why you're bothering to make a comparison let alone and either/or argument.

• Like 1

I don't get why is everyone ganging up on @Alli for speaking the truth. All festival movies and awards contenders go through the following phases:

Euphoria - movie is seen early and early audience is always the most enthusiastic and prone to label everything "the best" 'the funniest" "give award to ___ now", etc literally within hours of seeing different movies. So they get praised more than they would in regular circumstances. Example: it appears that both Knives Out and Hustlers are "funniest movie (singular) of the year". :redcapes:

The Calm Down - this is when second-wave critics and audience (the ones that didn't attend special screenings, premieres, festivals) see the movie and weigh in. They are usually less enthusiastic even when they really love the movie/performances. This is where you hear more about chinks in the movie's armor than in the Euphoria phase (which is more about "I saw it before everyone else" than what movie's like objectively). So in this phase, you hear that something isn't as fun as made out to be, that there are pacing issues you didn't hear about before, that humor doesn't always work, that thrills are a bit cheap, that friendships/romances are a bit forced, that so and so annoyed the hell out of someone, that some things are too on the nose, too cliche, too you name it. 

The Backlash - this is the trickiest phase and the one that decides whether something will go all the way (if backlash is overcome) or not. Absolutely everyone goes through this phase and there are many variants. Actors are usually accused of just playing themselves, really doing nothing or doing too much (overacting), potential category frauding (too big a role for supporting too shared to be the lead), not being due, being due but not with this role God no, etc. Movies get the usual politically incorrect or too PC for its own good (give us some edge), too small, too big, too middlebrow too highbrow, too anything. This lasts the whole season until the finale cause everyone wants the prize so smearing, taking advantages etc are common place. 

The Finale. You overcame the Backlash, you are at least among the Chosen 5 if not the Chosen 1. 

14 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Awkwafina is a lead and JLo reportedly supporting in non similar movies.

I don't understand why you're bothering to make a comparison let alone and either/or argument.

Wait, Jlo is supporting in this? Oh that's a different ballgame. Easy in. Supporting is much easier to crack, always. I thought she was the lead based on reviews. Yeah, both could happen. Awkwafina has a Picture contender which helps and JLo being supporting doesn't need one.