baumer

Slender Man (2018)

Grade it  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

I laughed out loud like twenty times during it (and so did everyone else in the audience). The only good things about the movie were a couple of really neat-looking shots and the fact that it was mercifully short.

2/10

Edited by Rorschach

On 8/9/2018 at 10:39 PM, Rorschach said:

I laughed out loud like twenty times during it (and so did everyone else in the audience). The only good things about the movie were a couple of really neat-looking shots and the fact that it was mercifully short.

2/10

Curious as to what you laughed at.  I didn't think there was anything unintentionally funny with this at all.

It's not a terrific movie but it sure does a lot of things right as a horror movie.  The setting in the woods is downright creepy and some of the stuff where they may or may not be going crazy is well done.  I hated that every scene was dark...and I did want to shout "TURN THE FUCKING LIGHTS ON".  However, I was on edge quite a bit.  The lead actress in this was really good.  Joey King was fine as well.

I'd recommend this to others.  It was good but not great.

7/10

• Like 1

1 hour ago, baumer said:

Curious as to what you laughed at.  I didn't think there was anything unintentionally funny with this at all.

I thought the scene where the one girl has a hallucination of the guy she's with having Slender Man on his face. Idk something about it felt incredibly over-the-top for me. There were a lot of other really stupid moments in the film where I just rolled my eyes. 

I'm big into Creepypastas and I was a big fan of the original Slender Man Eight Pages game. Overall,  I thought this film was just one big missed opportunity.

Slender Man is a modern horror movie reflecting the online myth of the made up character of Slender Man.   Slender Man is a creepypasta, which are original fiction horror stories or images, submitted to the internet so they can be seen by other people thereby creating awareness.  
Creepypasta is like an advertisement, or a meme, but meant to be spooky, and when others elaborate on it and contribute to the creepypasta, the concept grows.  They can be like UFO propaganda, but paranormal, and can be linked to the occult and pseudoscience if the creepypastas derive beyond just human imagination.

Slender Man is supposed to be this paranormal creature that sticks into your mind after you see it, and then it abducts and consumes you, similar to Pennywise the Clown from Stephen King's It or Samara from The Ring.
In the movie, four teenage girls watch an online video that you are not supposed to watch because legend has it that it summons Slender Man.  While watching the video, something from the video uploads into the brains of these women causing them nightmares, hallucinations, and a connection with the Slender Man.  The film does not explain that much into the mythology surrounding Slender Man though.  The edits move too quickly during the explaining processes not giving the movie room to breathe.  The writing does not compensate this thin exposition because the writing is thin too when supporting the plot.  The characters, bedroom set decoration, music, and location shots all seem to be state of the art.  The energy revolving around these four girls plight and their interactions with present day society makes this an interesting contemporary teenage horror film, but any extra commentary into their lives seems to be cut short.  
The protagonists never fight or defy the Slender Man and then which helps the plot to easily move along and devour the characters.  The relation with the Slender Man to the trees and the wobbling flagella-like limbs fixated with eyeballs makes the film seem to be a creepypasta expansion to the original creepypasta.
The reaction I got from the movie is mixed.  

The movie kept up with itself enough for it to get an average C, but nothing else was added for the score to be inflated.