baumer

The Meg (2018)

Grade it  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Sadly the movie take a big stop right the middle and is riddle with issue.

Some fight in the editing room way too apparent happen when the shark attack the station and everyone go search for the little girl a lot of the sequence didn't made sense. Lot of the action/scene didn't work, maybe it is the first movie I see after Mission Impossible and it is unfair, but it always seem like an half second was not well done, did it had a R vs PG-13 debate ?

The movie almost seem like those movies that change director during the project and was quite different than the marketing, the opening felt strong enough but the movie does not seem to know what to do with most of those characters and plot points,

The letter written to is wife for example and Statham ex-wife character in general, just fade away once a different movie start.

The movie is trying to be in a fine line between being just a big fun joke like the Jurassic Worlds or being more serious and does not find it, you have the parody and non-sense going on, like people having fun swimming in the sea just after we have just been shown that it is an incredibly sharks infested water like big group just after throwing and still dripping blood in the sea, play all tension moments for laugh, etc... but does not fully go with it.

Bing bing seem adorable and lot of charisma when she was doing her gestuel, but the acting in English didn't seem easy there, in general outside the little girl/Statham the cast didn't seem to be able to work here.

Quite loved it, until it stop at the middle and just some part of the second half after that.

I can’t decide on a rating yet. 

Feels like a wasted, neutered opportunity.

The marketing was great, but I think it was actually quite falsely advertised in some ways, resulting in a bit of a disappointment. 

Mixed

Edited by Krissykins

I enjoyed it.  It's a shark movie and it has Statham in it.  Kind of hard to screw that up.  It's not amazing but it's fun.  I felt like I got my money worth.

7/10

• Like 4

6 hours ago, baumer said:

I enjoyed it.  It's a shark movie and it has Statham in it.  Kind of hard to screw that up.  It's not amazing but it's fun.  I felt like I got my money worth.

7/10

This. 

• Like 1

This was a dumb fun movie. The effects were really bad in many scenes, the acting was...questionable at point as was the dialogue. Visually, its also shot a bit stale.

But what the hell it was a Megalodon movie and it had Jason Statham. I like it, ill buy it on Blu-Ray,

I thought the young girl was terrific.  She was witty and some really good lines.  She made me laugh when she was trying to set up her mom and Statham.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, baumer said:

I thought the young girl was terrific.  She was witty and some really good lines.  She made me laugh when she was trying to set up her mom and Statham.

When if first saw her i feared the worst since it happens quite a lot that bad child actors can bring a film down. But she was...adorable? Didnt annoy me at all.

• Like 1

On 8/11/2018 at 6:40 AM, baumer said:

It's a shark movie and it has Statham in it.  Kind of hard to screw that up. 

They almost did, IMO. He also said the rescue missions (first 1/3 of the film), weren’t in the movie he signed up for. 

7 hours ago, baumer said:

Yeh she was, her and Statham being the two decent performances of the film. 

• Like 1

I found this to be neither "so bad it's good" or fun enough to qualify as a guilty pleasure. Instead, it's just...there. It takes itself way too seriously when a Snakes on a Plane-style tongue-in-cheek approach (like the trailers hinted at) would've been welcome, the special effects are iffy for a film that had such a massive budget, and the actors (even Jason Statham) are clearly stuck on autopilot. If you want to watch a PG-13 killer shark movie from the 2010s, check out The Shallows instead. C

• Like 1

I went in knowing that, like Skyscraper, this film had Asian influence for marketing. Whatever. I found that the dramatic elements added to make a richer film that is the opposite of Sharknado was both excellent and distracting. It was refreshing to have a film where I know the characters being picked off a wee bit. (Promethius and Alien 4 are the worst offenders of this) We still got ample 'one liners' and fun characters and all the trimmings of a great summer film. To add depth the film has a slow formulaic pace that never built to anything grande. We are missing the soundtrack of Jaws. so it feels empty. We are also missing a tease for a sequel. 

14 hours ago, ShanghaiJoe said:

It looked like movie for simpletons. Maybe if they had went full on with gore and tits, then I would have wandered in on a day I nothing better to do. Instead, filmmakers made one for the cows.

man shut the fuck up with all these posts in the review threads these threads are for people that have SEEN the movies. go to the box office forum if you wanna post this inane bullshite.

• Like 5

On ‎8‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 10:01 PM, CoolioD1 said:

man shut the fuck up with all these posts in the review threads these threads are for people that have SEEN the movies. go to the box office forum if you wanna post this inane bullshite.

Looks like one of the herd is upset. Go back to eating your slop.

3 hours ago, ShanghaiJoe said:

Looks like one of the herd is upset. Go back to eating your slop.

I'd suggest you kind of take heed of Collio's request.  It could be a short stay for you here.  

• Like 2