baumer

The Meg (2018)

Grade it  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

I mean it has Statham stabbing a giant shark while in the air with the scene in slow motion. That's honestly all I expected from the trailers. Him vs a shark.

Worth the price of admission easily. 

I do wish the shark died like in the book, that would have been hilarious.

• Like 2

I liked it a lot. It was a fun dumb movie that also didn't do the tired wink-wink see how silly all this is? If I have one complaint is that the first 45 minutes until Meg attacks the station are a drag, this part of the movie should have been 20 minutes at most.  

But once the fun starts it keeps getting better and better.  My favorite scene was the attack on the crowded beach, I loved that shit.

Neither the deepest nor the bluest, nor is its hat like a shark's fin.

In its confused attempts to be several different movies at once, The Meg emerges as a mediocre, only fitfully entertaining romp. The tongue-in-cheek ad campaign and early stages of the film’s development – when Eli Roth was attached to direct and it appeared the film would be a campy R-rated action flick – suggest something in the vein of Deep Blue Sea, and there’s even some effective low-key humor suggesting that the film could veer off in that direction at any point; however, the enjoyable qualities are ultimately end up mostly drowned out by an overly serious tone and performances that feel disappointingly restrained in the name of delivering a standard-order PG-13 film that can appeal to the masses. In the process, much that could have been enjoyable on a guilty pleasure level instead just plays like generic action, and several impressively tense scenes feel like they belong in a more engaging film. It seems like the cast had fun making the film, but their performances are mostly workmanlike with only a few cursory winks and nods thrown in, and their characters fit types so cleanly that their fates are fairly easy to map out well in advance. As someone who enjoys big, dumb movies that know and embrace the fact that they’re big and dumb, I had hoped that The Meg could be fun; and while it’s not without its occasional kitschy charm, it takes itself too seriously to merit more than a shrug of the shoulders and a flat “meh.”

C

Also: I wanted Rainn Wilson's character to die so badly that there's no way the scene where The Meg eats him could ever have fully satisfied me.