The Panda

Best Popular Film Predictions - 2018 (New Oscar Category)

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/race/academy-plans-three-hour-oscars-telecast-adds-popular-film-category-1133138

So the Academy is adding a popular film category, and will be broadcasting some awards off the air.  

Don’t really like either of these changes as I think it’ll further discourage awarding quality blockbusters (as they have their own category now), and cutting the broadcast for other smaller categories seems rude.

Edited by Pandamia!
  • Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

Christ Almighty, Academy, just admit you don't want to have to nominate Black Panther for Best Picture. Don't bullshit us with this Consolation Prize Oscar BS.

Honestly, if this was any other year, I might have actually been somewhat okay with the idea of this (or at least neutral towards it), but it's so blatantly obvious what they're trying to do here (to the point where almost every article I've seen on the subject has a still from Black Panther on it) that it's just irritating. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, rukaio101 said:

Christ Almighty, Academy, just admit you don't want to have to nominate Black Panther for Best Picture. Don't bullshit us with this Consolation Prize Oscar BS.

Honestly, if this was any other year, I might have actually been somewhat okay with the idea of this (or at least neutral towards it), but it's so blatantly obvious what they're trying to do here (to the point where almost every article I've seen on the subject has a still from Black Panther on it) that it's just irritating. 

But if Black Panther is nominated there’s less room for brilliant movies like “Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close”, “Philomena”, “Lion” and “Darkest Hour!!

Obviously no franchise film could be put on the same pedestal as those!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Pandamia! said:

But if Black Panther is nominated there’s less room for brilliant movies like “Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close”, “Philomena”, “Lion” and “Darkest Hour!!

Obviously no franchise film could be put on the same pedestal as those!

I think Philomena, Lion, and Darkest Hour are all great films in their own right... they all have their moments, that's for sure!

curious if they'll make it like best picture where only the producer gets the oscar or it'll be like animated film/documentary where the producer and the director gets oscars. just wanna know if ryan coogler is gonna win or only feige.

• Like 4

We'll have to wait and see what the criteria are. Like I said back in the thread in the main forum: if the rules allow them to go for, say, films that "only" made $100 million domestically or hit #1 at the box office, they could simply go for an acclaimed, middlebrow film that played well with audiences (and doesn't stand a chance of winning Best Picture) rather than the big blockbusters we're leaping toward as the presumed archetype for winners. Looking at the recent past, I'd see them awarding something like The Help over Harry Potter in 2011 or The Martian over The Force Awakens in 2015.

That said, like everyone else right now, I'm counting Black Panther as the heavy frontrunner at the moment.

the nomination slot should be just 3, if they going by gross, there are basically only 20 film domestically eligible for the nomination.

20 movies up for 5 slots vs 600+ movies up for 6-10 spots in best picture? that is even worse than the best popular movie idea

I think everyone is overreacting for this category, I mean, it's like Animated picture, films could still get nominated to Best picture if they deserve it even if they are also nominated for this category. And I don't think they will go full MTVMA and nominate things like Pirates of the Caribbean 12 or Fast and Furious... there are some really popular films which have been ignored during the years, so I don't think this category is a bad idea at all.

1 hour ago, Safeno Rdz said:

I think everyone is overreacting for this category, I mean, it's like Animated picture, films could still get nominated to Best picture if they deserve it even if they are also nominated for this category. And I don't think they will go full MTVMA and nominate things like Pirates of the Caribbean 12 or Fast and Furious... there are some really popular films which have been ignored during the years, so I don't think this category is a bad idea at all.

It's a goofy category and a pity award, no way around it. A way of saying "oh, you nerds don't like the 9 movies we nominated? This one's for you!" Even the comic book websites that this shit was clearly pandering to have called bullshit on it. Plus, it's not like popular movies don't get nominated for Best Picture all the time (just last year saw Get Out and Dunkirk receiving Best Picture noms and they were among the biggest films of the year).

And, by all accounts, it was only introduced because Disney/ABC insisted on it. Watch the nominees be Avengers: Infinity War/Black Panther/Incredibles 2/Mary Poppins Returns/Ralph Breaks the Internet.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 4

14 hours ago, filmlover said:

It's a goofy category and a pity award, no way around it. A way of saying "oh, you nerds don't like the 9 movies we nominated? This one's for you!" Even the comic book websites that this shit was clearly pandering to have called bullshit on it. Plus, it's not like popular movies don't get nominated for Best Picture all the time (just last year saw Get Out and Dunkirk receiving Best Picture noms and they were among the biggest films of the year).

And, by all accounts, it was only introduced because Disney/ABC insisted on it. Watch the nominees be Avengers: Infinity War/Black Panther/Incredibles 2/Mary Poppins Returns/Ralph Breaks the Internet.

Leaked shortlist of the 10 movies the Academy has to choose from:

Ant-Man and the Wasp

Avengers: Infinity War

Black Panther

Christopher Robin

Incredibles 2

Mary Poppins Returns

The Nutcracker and the Four Realms

Ralph Breaks The Internet

Solo: A Star Wars Story

A Wrinkle in Time

Edited by PANDA