grim22

Academy Awards adding a "Best Popular Film" category. Good or bad idea? Academy walks it back, won't be presented this year

8 minutes ago, Barnack said:

How does one could possibly devise something to make any movie not win (and we are talking in one case about a major MPAA studio movie, why would the industry make a device for is own studio movie not be available to win an Oscar)

Easy. You simply prevent them from being nominated in the first place. Let The Academy’s members choose their own pre-nominees for Best Picture like they currently do. Then let a blue ribbon panel of members whittle the top 20 list down to a top 5 or a top 10, perhaps based on published criteria. This weeds out a lot of the cliquish behavior and unusual counting practices that tarnish the current nominating procedures.

I'm curious to see their criteria for the award. If the criteria are pretty loose - like: opening at #1 at the box office or surpassing $100 million domestically - I wouldn't expect it to suddenly turn into the big franchise category that some people are speculating about in this thread. They're not going to suddenly start springing for the MCU/DCEU (unless we're talking about something that gets spectacular reviews), Fast & Furious sequels, Disney live-action remakes, or even a Star Wars movie (again: see the qualification I made on the MCU) if they can instead pick relatively "higher-brow" box office hits like La La Land, Gravity, Mad Max: Fury Road, Get Out, Dunkirk, The Help, The Martian, Django Unchained, or Les Miserables - and those are just among the films that already made Best Picture lineups; I could also see them taking something like Gone Girl well ahead of something like Guardians of the Galaxy or Mockingjay: Part 1 (in 2014's case) if the rules allowed them to do so.

But it would create an odd scenario for films like American Sniper, The Revenant, and Hidden Figures that all broke out in wide release either just before or just after ballots were due.

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Can we please limit this to the Golden Globes? Thank you.

We could if the Academy had variety and an open mind in their terrible taste. 😉

• Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Sasha Stone is the definition of crazy. She posts Grace Randolph-level shit all the time. In fact, Stone is basically a mixture of she and Jeff Wells

You missed back in the day when she completely lost her marbles when The King's Speech ended up becoming the frontrunner over The Social Network. It was truly a sight to see.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Pandamia! said:

At the very least they could have made a “Best Action/Stunt” award and/or “Best Comedy”, as at least that’s a blockbustery category that is quantifying something meaningful.

I would love to see a best CGI performance category. Those type of actors deserve more credit then they get. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

Easy. You simply prevent them from being nominated in the first place. Let The Academy’s members choose their own pre-nominees for Best Picture like they currently do. Then let a blue ribbon panel of members whittle the top 20 list down to a top 5 or a top 10, perhaps based on published criteria. This weeds out a lot of the cliquish behavior and unusual counting practices that tarnish the current nominating procedures.

May as well end the academy award and go to a professional voters system (like almost all the other award have).

The hole point of the exercice is wanting to know what people that actually do movies think and the difference with the others.

47 minutes ago, jking123 said:

Honest question,did people really think Black panther had a shot at being nominated this year for BP?Havent seen it  but reviews don't seem  bad but arent their plenty of strong films out this year?

Yes, it did. It almost certainly isn't going to be one of the top 5 films released this year, but sometimes you just have to acknowledge a film for posterity's sake.  

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

You missed back in the day when she completely lost her marbles when The King's Speech ended up becoming the frontrunner over The Social Network. It was truly a sight to see.

I stopped reading her stuff after that season; in fact, I only stuck it out until the end of that season to see how much crazier the commentary could get. And this is coming from someone who still has The Social Network at #1 on their decade list.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ddddeeee said:

In all seriousness, trying to appease those who complain about superhero movies not getting nominated ( which is like 0.1% of people who actually see them) is breathtakingly silly.

They don't care about that - they care about shrinking ratings and this is their attempt to turn them around.

• Like 1

Just now, TalismanRing said:

They don't care about that - they care about shrinking ratings and this is their attempt to turn them around.

I predict it'll go about as well as that time they got all of The Avengers minus Scarlett (who was on Broadway at the time) to present a category in a desperate bid to get more comic book nerds to watch the Oscars.