grim22

Academy Awards adding a "Best Popular Film" category. Good or bad idea? Academy walks it back, won't be presented this year

10 minutes ago, filmlover said:

The Last Jedi (aka the movie that torments you and haunts your dreams) would've been nominated had this category existed last year on top of the 4 it already received. Just saying.

lol, I wonder which movies will be allowed to be voted in?  

they allow fan voting for a Razzie Award category, but they choose who you vote for and I think the results are pretty much immovable anyways.

do they control the results so they will be in the best interest of the audience? (like a rehearsed jukebox play)

Edited by dmatrixfilmdx

5 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Many of you guys are denial...the oscars is in a deep crisis to stay relevant.

This shows how desperste things have gotten.

Serves them right.

Yes, there is a very clear correlation between box office of the Best Picture films and ratings. And yes, 2018 did have a massive drop in ratings even if the overall trend has been down for years. Titanic and ROTK years both had big ratings. It's not exactly rocket science. But adding this new far less prestigious category just to cater to mass audiences is not the solution to their ratings slump.

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

Just now, Rebeccas said:

Yes, there is a very clear correlation between box office of the Best Picture films and ratings. And yes, 2018 did have a massive drop in ratings even if the overall trend has been down for years. Titanic and ROTK years both had big ratings. It's not exactly rocket science. But adding this new far less prestigious category just to cater to mass audiences is not the solution to their ratings slump.

You cannot possibly compare TV ratings from 1998 or 2004 to that of 2018. Come on now.

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

8 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

honestly we talk about how bad the ratings have got but in the year of our lord 2018 26.5 mil looks pretty good to me, especially with how irrelevant nielsen ratings are now. that's still over twice as much as any other awards show for any medium can pull in.

Ratings fell 10 to 20 percent in a year.

If the superbowl saw such a crash in ratings there would be mass panic at the nfl.

Plus i bet you ask ten people on the street who won the best picture last year...i doubt 10 percent could guess right its a shape of the water.

Compared to 10 to 20 years i think the oscar winners were a Much bigher deal with my memory.

Every treadline shows the oscars are becoming increasingly irrelevant year by year.

You think they try this stunt 5 years ago?

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

Embarrassing. Ratings will go even lower cause this decision is not sincere. 

@Rebeccas

pushing this lame consolation award instead of just letting Black Panther get nominated normally.

Yep, this is the main reason for doing this transaprent crap. They don't want a CB movie nominated. They are facing pressure like when TDK was in conversation, except that this snub would garner them some epithets they didn't get when they snubbed TDK. But they really REALLY don't want to let CB in their club. So we got this embarrassing consolation that's made for this one movie alone and we all know it. Fuck them. Do not watch! 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

Just now, AJG said:

The Oscars should merge with the Emmys and Grammys and just put out one 2 hour show each year and be done with it.

Throw in MTV movie awards as well as Razzies and you've got yourself a deal! One show to cover all awards across all media. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, filmlover said:

You cannot possibly compare TV ratings from 1998 or 2004 to that of 2018. Come on now.

But even within those years the Titanic year got a HUGE spike in viewership. Like it literally jumped 17m viewers that one year from the previous year. ROTK winning also showed a 10m viewer jump from its previous year. The highest rated recent ceremony was when Gravity was up for Best Picture.

2018 showed a pretty big cratering too that was a bit unusual.

• Like 1

LMFAO @ The idea Disney did this.  The best conspiracy theory is it was Denzel Washington. He needed to push Black Panther and Chadwick out of the way to ensure his son and Blackkklansman will prevail. 

35 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Never forgive Disney for owning Marvel, will you?

And please furnish proof that Disney bought this Oscar, Or I will write this off as just more Conspiracy Crap.

An award show on a Disney owned network with a new category?  Yeah I'm going to instantly get suspicious.  Furthermore I've had with the massive overpraise of Disney both with their films and as a company.  People act like they are they only company that makes good films while at the same time being the biggest company that can buy anyone out.  

Edited by Warmaster506

1 minute ago, captainwondyful said:

LMFAO @ The idea Disney did this.  The best conspiracy theory is it was Denzel Washington. He needed to push Black Panther and Chadwick out of the way to ensure his son and Blackkklansman will prevail. 

As if Chadwick had any shot considering that supporting cast completely upstaged him. His Iron Man this was not. :hahaha:

4 hours ago, Alli said:

lol Black Panther is the obvious winner this year

It is because the category was obvosouly created for it.But Fallout is far superior.Hell Infinity War is also better.And what if Aquaman,Bumblebee,Marry Poppins,Fantastic Beasts are better?I know they will be snubbed because it's obvious why the category was created.

Its not suprising...

In the past the oscars were more about escapism and celebrating the most buzzed about films of the year.

Now its more smaller or indie filmd and a focus on social messaging.

Its not surprising that the oscars appeal to a smaller audience over time.

I always watch the Oscars. And I'm living in Germany, so I literally have to give up sleeping and go to work hangover to do it.
The changes they plan are disgraceful all around. Disrespecting people working in lesser known categories, deeming popular culture not worthy of the "real" BP award.
They may have just lost a viewer.

3 minutes ago, TheDarkKnightOfSteel said:

It is because the category was obvosouly created for it.But Fallout is far superior.Hell Infinity War is also better.And what if Aquaman,Bumblebee,Marry Poppins,Fantastic Beasts are better?I know they will be snubbed because it's obvious why the category was created.

there lies the problem. if you create a category for one movie, what happens beyond that movie? It's like when they created 10 BP firled to give movies like TDK a chance but very shortly after came up with preferential ballot that not only shortened the nominees to 7-8 but made it tough for blockbusters to ever win (though they scored noms). So once they give BP a consolation prize, what next? Doubtful interest will remain. 

@Samarus

deeming popular culture not worthy of the "real" BP award.

They always deemed it unworthy and now gloves are off...except that fools thought someone would buy this shit as a sign of respect. 

Edited by Valonqar

22 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

This is silly conspiracy stuff.  Disney bought ABC over two decades ago. 

Well yes ? Not sure what is the relevance of that comment, if Disney bought ABC 6 decade only to be a fresher acquisition ?

2 decade seem more than enough time to have control over a tv network no ?

9 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Its not suprising...

In the past the oscars were more about escapism and celebrating the most buzzed about films of the year.

Now its more smaller or indie filmd and a focus on social messaging.

Its not surprising that the oscars appeal to a smaller audience over time.

No. In the past people actually used to watch the films that got nominated. Dramas had more of an impact at the BO, they could be huge just off star power alone, they made at the BO what a successful action blockbuster would make today, now we wait and watch Dramas at home on TV.

Shit just changed.

EDIT: Goddamn Jerry McGuire made $253m DOM adjusted.

Edited by AJG

Oscar bait dramas used to also be popular entertainment. Dances with Wolves, Braveheart and Titanic are blockbuster movies with the sheen of historical basis so they also had Oscar appeal. You don’t get those movies anymore. Historical movies are either very indie/dark (12 Years a Slave) or are just meh/have that grandma factor (Victoria and Abdul). 

Edited by Rebeccas
  • Like 1