grim22

Academy Awards adding a "Best Popular Film" category. Good or bad idea? Academy walks it back, won't be presented this year

I don’t see these changes working out the way they think. The new category is fine I guess, but it screams pandering due to the movies that have been released this year. I get they had their lowest ratings this year, but nominating more popular movies won’t necessarily make people who don’t watch the Oscars live tune in. I don’t think any of the blockbusters released this year should get a BP nomination, but can’t help but think this new category is a way of appeasing those who do. 

Not televising some categories live is fine as long as they do show them later in the show. 

Just now, Deja23 said:

I don’t see these changes working out the way they think. The new category is fine I guess, but it screams pandering due to the movies that have been released this year. I get they had their lowest ratings this year, but nominating more popular movies won’t necessarily make people who don’t watch the Oscars live tune in. I don’t think any of the blockbusters released this year should get a BP nomination, but can’t help but think this new category is a way of appeasing those who do. 

Not televising some categories live is fine as long as they do show them later in the show. 

It's a way of pandering to the People's Choice Awards crowd and nothing more. This isn't going to have the effect they're looking for.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pandamia! said:

If the Academy really wants more viewers they should just add a Hulu and YouTube stream, since that’s the future of TV.

They have a deal with ABC that'll last until at least the 100th oscars in 2028. They might want to do something like that but not sure if they're contractually able to.

• Like 1

If the Academy really wants more viewers they should just add a Hulu and YouTube stream, since that’s the future of TV.

Oh god, so not only will it be 2 minutes of ads for 3 minutes of content, but it'll be the same 2 ads over and over again!

• Haha 2

This is ridiculous. 

The Best Film category was opened to 10 films just so it could possibly include more popular films and all they did was make it more niche by changing the voting rules.  It will become a ghetto like Best Animated - which no matter how great a film is can't sniff the Best Film category any more. 

• Like 10

This is a awful idea. Most blockbusters in general don’t reach that level and it alienates the few great blockbusters, especially when there’s a few great ones this year (AQP, Panther, Fallout) from a chance at an Oscar and basically gives them a Peoples Choice Awards.

On the bright side, the MCU will gets it first Oscar.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Pinacolada said:

They better change their mind and stop this nonsense

I think we're all missing the possibility of the bigger picture here - 

Most Popular Movie Oscar Winner Teen Titans Go To the Movies. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

This is a awful idea. Most blockbusters in general don’t reach that level and it alienates the few great blockbusters, especially when there’s a few great ones this year (AQP, Panther, Fallout) from a chance at an Oscar and basically gives them a Peoples Choice Awards.

On the bright side, the MCU will gets it first Oscar.

Let's be real though - most films nominated for Best Picture aren't great films - they're just the kind of good films that Oscar likes.

It feels like they're creating this category just so they can avoid nominating BP in the Best Film category.  That will go over well...

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 3

Just now, RandomCat said:

So...how do you categorize most popular for this? Whatever the critics voting liked best? Isn't that just the best picture category.

Basically, this is just the "Let the commoners have an award, and we will laugh, and laugh."

Pretty much it’s a “Favorite movie over x DOM/WW” award.  I’d reckon it’ll be a 150m cut-off (potentially even 100m)

Other years would have looked something like this

1. Get Out

2. Dunkirk

3. Star Wars: The Last Jedi

4. Logan

5. Wonder Woman

1. La La Land

2. Hidden Figures

3. Zootopia

4. Deadpool

5. Rogue One

1. Mad Max: Fury Road

2. The Martian

3. Star Wars: The Force Awakens

4. Inside Out

5. Straight Outta Compton

Pretty much it’s a “Favorite movie over x DOM/WW” award.  I’d reckon it’ll be a 150m cut-off (potentially even 100m)

Other years would have looked something like this

1. Get Out

2. Dunkirk

3. Star Wars: The Last Jedi

4. Logan

5. Wonder Woman

1. La La Land

2. Hidden Figures

3. Zootopia

4. Deadpool

5. Rogue One

1. Mad Max: Fury Road

2. The Martian

3. Star Wars: The Force Awakens

4. Inside Out

5. Straight Outta Compton

I think the voters will restrict this to live action mentally. Animated movies have their own category and will stay there. It will be different ghettos for each type of movie.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Let's be real though - most films nominated for Best Picture aren't great films - they're just the kind of good films that Oscar likes.

It feels like they're creating this category just so they can avoid nominating BP in the Best Film category.  That will go over well...

Lol, if BP literally misses the BP nod because of this stupid decision.  It’s one of the rare comic book movies that’s legit deserving (as were WW and Logan)